Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey for the perfect sectional!

mfabian Guest

Default Re: My journey for the perfect sectional!

Congrats - this is the H&M sectional I really like and yours is gorgeous! I also like how your ottman turned out.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    WOW!!

That's gorgeous..

What were the outside dimensions of that piece? Length and width is all...
    Width seems to be around 44" at its widest. I am only getting roughly 118" on the long end to the outside corner, and 103" on the short end. Inside I am getting roughly 60" on the short end, and 80 on the long end to the center. Seems a bit shorter then the H&M site would lead you to believe. Before I got it, I made a scale cutout, out of cardboard to ensure it would fit. I also made this diagram based on those dimensions, and it looked like I would only have just over 24" on the one wall, and just over 50 on the other. In actuality I have 42" on the wall closest to the tv, and 50 on the other. I am not sure why this is..lol It seems more compact then the dimensions given.

Quote Originally Posted by mfabian View Post
    Congrats - this is the H&M sectional I really like and yours is gorgeous! I also like how your ottman turned out.
    Thanks! I am almost afraid to sit on it. haha

I am pretty happy with the Ottoman. It most definitely breaks up the colors a bit.

organic_smallhome Guest

I would love to help you guys pick out a rug--or, at least, help you narrow down your choices. What style are you looking for? Do you want machine-made or hand-knotted? Budget? Colors?

I'm a textile nut, so have quite a bit of rug research under my belt (although I'm no expert, by any means).

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    I would love to help you guys pick out a rug--or, at least, help you narrow down your choices. What style are you looking for? Do you want machine-made or hand-knotted? Budget? Colors?

I'm a textile nut, so have quite a bit of rug research under my belt (although I'm no expert, by any means).
    Thanks for the offer, any help would be much appreciated.. As for your questions, the answer is I have no clue..lol I have never bought a rug before, so I am not sure about different styles, etc. I am not even sure where to begin on colors, or how to match it with what I currently have.

Budget, I am not sure. I always set a budget, and it goes out the window. Lets say in the 1-2k range for now. I have dogs, and don't want to go "too" overboard with a rug as I am sure they will sleep on it.

Any recommendations based on that limited info?

mfabian Guest

I have a question - I was browsing one of the carpet websites you recently posted and I was wondering whether, in general, the colors (I am thinking bright orientals) are reasonably accurate???

organic_smallhome Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mfabian View Post
    I have a question - I was browsing one of the carpet websites you recently posted and I was wondering whether, in general, the colors (I am thinking bright orientals) are reasonably accurate???
    My experience with Magic Carpet is that the colors are a tad more subdued. A few years ago, during one of their sales, I bought a couple of handknotted Indian rugs (one for entry, the other for a hallway), and I expect I'll have them for a very long time indeed. Here's the same rug, a bit shorter:

http://www.themagiccarpet.biz/ItemDe...1&totalRows=19

This is called a "contract rug"--i.e., handknotted, but ordered in multiples for retail, and according to design requested by retailer. It's quite heavy and dense--perfect for a home with high traffic and animals.

Here's how it looks in my house (pic below), but it's really even more subdued than this. Nothing garish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1596.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	2622  

organic_smallhome Guest

Okay, given that information, here's what I'd recommend: Get the best rug you can afford--handknotted, if at all possible. For one thing, that sofa deserves a rug equally as sumptuous--a cheap rug will just look ratty next to such a high-end piece. And second, if you have dogs, a handknotted rug is your best bet. Not silk, not upper-end--but wool on a cotton base, and densely knotted. Tribal rugs, after all, are often meant to be used--and are used--on a daily basis inside the tent, occupied by humans and animals alike.

If handknotted isn't possible, then I'd recommend a Karastan, which is the best machine-made rug you can buy, made with 100% New Zealand wool. They are guaranteed for 20 years. We have two Karastans and three rambunctious dogs (and one cat), and the Karastans seem impervious to abuse.

Here are a couple of sites for you to peruse, when you have the time.

Handknotted:

http://www.themagiccarpet.biz/Search...RugGallery.php (there are other sites equally good or better, but just to get you started)

Karastan:

http://www.karastan.com/Rugs.aspx?id=221

Once you've chosen a rug (and given the classic styling of your sofa, your options are numerous), you can then decide on wall color (if you're changing it) and other textiles for the room. It's always good, however, to start with the rug first.

AZJoe Guest

Okay, given that information, here's what I'd recommend: Get the best rug you can afford--handknotted, if at all possible. For one thing, that sofa deserves a rug equally as sumptuous--a cheap rug will just look ratty next to such a high-end piece. And second, if you have dogs, a handknotted rug is your best bet. Not silk, not upper-end--but wool on a cotton base, and densely knotted. Tribal rugs, after all, are often meant to be used--and are used--on a daily basis inside the tent, occupied by humans and animals alike.

If handknotted isn't possible, then I'd recommend a Karastan, which is the best machine-made rug you can buy, made with 100% New Zealand wool. They are guaranteed for 20 years. We have two Karastans and three rambunctious dogs (and one cat), and the Karastans seem impervious to abuse.

Here are a couple of sites for you to peruse, when you have the time.

Handknotted:

http://www.themagiccarpet.biz/Search...RugGallery.php (there are other sites equally good or better, but just to get you started)

Karastan:

http://www.karastan.com/Rugs.aspx?id=221

Once you've chosen a rug (and given the classic styling of your sofa, your options are numerous), you can then decide on wall color (if you're changing it) and other textiles for the room. It's always good, however, to start with the rug first.
    Thank you! How do you size the rug, in relation to the sofa?

Also duane had mentioned a rectangle/square rug might look off being there is a subtle curve to the front of the sofa. I would be interested in hearing more about these custom made rugs.

I don't even know where to begin on colors.. arrrrg.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 06-13-2011 at 09:25 PM.

organic_smallhome Guest

Well, the larger the rug, the more expensive it is. There are a lot of ways you can go about selecting a rug. First, I think you need to lay out the furniture in the room, so that you can better envision the needed size. Will you have end tables or floor lamps, or one of each? Do you want your sofa to set entirely or partly on the rug? Do you want the rug just under the ottoman? If you set the entire sectional on a rug, it wouldn't be an issue--but again, SUPER-expensive to do that. I see Duane's point about the curvature of the sofa and a rectangular rug, but I'm not seeing that as much of a problem, really. Will this rug be going on wood floors? My inclination would be to put a rug just under the ottoman, but there's no need to decide at this point.

Here's a great site, run by extremely talented people: http://www.atticmag.com/category/dec/rugs/

Jane, in particular, is an expert on rugs. And Allison (another writer on the site) has exquisite interior design taste:
    http://www.atticmag.com/about-us/

You might want to root around on that site for ideas.
    Last edited by organic_smallhome; 06-13-2011 at 10:45 PM.

AZJoe Guest

Well, the larger the rug, the more expensive it is. There are a lot of ways you can go about selecting a rug. First, I think you need to lay out the furniture in the room, so that you can better envision the needed size. Will you have end tables or floor lamps, or one of each? Do you want your sofa to set entirely on the rug, just under the ottoman, or partly over the rug? I see Duane's point about the curvature of the sofa and a rectangular rug. If you set the entire sectional on a rug, it wouldn't be an issue--but again, SUPER-expensive to do that. Will this rug be going on wood floors? My inclination would be to put a rug just under the ottoman, but there's no need to decide at this point.

Here's a great site, run by extremely talented people: http://www.atticmag.com/category/dec/rugs/

Jane, in particular, is an expert on rugs. And Allison (another writer on the site) has exquisite interior design taste:
    http://www.atticmag.com/about-us/

You might want to root around on that site for ideas.
    I think under the Ottoman is what I am after. So should it go to the ends of the sofa on both sides? I see a few hand knotted rugs on CL, and some karastans.

The room is more or less laid out. The rest will be wall decor/etc. Them maybe one day a recliner in a Capri hide will find its way in here.lol

I am thinking of hiring a designer to just come in and give me ideas on what else to add to tie it all together, but it would feel good to accomplished it myself.

I stink at putting these things together but know what looks good if I see it.haha