Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 LastLast

Thread: My journey for the perfect sectional!

Default Re: My journey for the perfect sectional!

Remember your Sundance Sectional has a curved front, so rugs with perfectly straight corners on them will look like they are falling away from the piece. Just a data point!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Remember your Sundance Sectional has a curved front, so rugs with perfectly straight corners on them will look like they are falling away from the piece. Just a data point!
    This should yeild many more headaches.lol.. would that mean it would make more sense to go with one that atleast goes under the front legs taking away the curve?

On a side note..

I took those screws out today. My trusty snap-on rachet, small flat head bit, and they came right out.

I have to stop messing with the cushions, before I drive myself nuts.. I have had them on and off about 15 ttimes. I am pretty sure the bottoms are all correct but the tops have me second guessing myself. They look fine, it is just me.

organic_smallhome Guest

I think this is an argument for either an oval rug or a round rug? But I also think that a rectangular rug would work fine if it is a larger rug and the front feet of the sofa, at least, sit on the rug?

Monique Guest

After seeing your floor plan, I would go with a large area rug with the sectional and the ottoman completely on it. It would even come out behind the sofa.
    A large rug will help define the living area and pull it all together. The entertainment unit would not go on the rug.

I agree with Duane about the draperies. You need a rod that goes all the way across. The rod should be hung at almost ceiling height or at least the same level as the top of the kitchen cabinets. (I'm guessing the top of the cabinets is higher than the current height of the rods..couldn't tell from the photos.) That would carry the line all way round and be pleasing. Drapery panels on each side would look really classy. fabric. You could use a larger print on the windows; something that would blend well with whatever rug you choose.

After you get the rug, the hardest part of your decorating scheme will be over. Everything else will be easier. If you decide to paint the walls, take a look at Benjamin Moore Putnam Ivory. It is a nice soft gold and would look great with your sofa. It is very neutral. I have it in one bedroom and really could have used it all over our home...goes with everything.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    After seeing your floor plan, I would go with a large area rug with the sectional and the ottoman completely on it. It would even come out behind the sofa.
    A large rug will help define the living area and pull it all together. The entertainment unit would not go on the rug.

I agree with Duane about the draperies. You need a rod that goes all the way across. The rod should be hung at almost ceiling height or at least the same level as the top of the kitchen cabinets. (I'm guessing the top of the cabinets is higher than the current height of the rods..couldn't tell from the photos.) That would carry the line all way round and be pleasing. Drapery panels on each side would look really classy. fabric. You could use a larger print on the windows; something that would blend well with whatever rug you choose.

After you get the rug, the hardest part of your decorating scheme will be over. Everything else will be easier. If you decide to paint the walls, take a look at Benjamin Moore Putnam Ivory. It is a nice soft gold and would look great with your sofa. It is very neutral. I have it in one bedroom and really could have used it all over our home...goes with everything.
    The drapes are on my list for sure. They will likely end up being done after the rug is figured out. The current height is actually really close to the height of the cabinets.

As for the large rug, my one concern as I stated earlier is there being a "corner" sticking out in the middle of the walk way, due to the curve of the sofa.

The walls will stay the current color for a while as I am happy with it. The pics don't show it, but they are already a nice neutral tan/gold(i guess you would call it). It is pretty warming, and goes well with the sofa/ottoman.

bubbaonline Guest

I think the large rug under everything would be the safer choice... I don't think that corner would be an issue. Something that you would quickly get used to...

A big rug would really soften up the room... but, I'd probably go with choice B (rug under ottoman, runner in back). I also wouldn't try to set the front legs on the rug... If you leave it just short of the front of the sofa, it will highlight the curves.. IMHO... lol

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    I think the large rug under everything would be the safer choice... I don't think that corner would be an issue. Something that you would quickly get used to...

A big rug would really soften up the room... but, I'd probably go with choice B (rug under ottoman, runner in back). I also wouldn't try to set the front legs on the rug... If you leave it just short of the front of the sofa, it will highlight the curves.. IMHO... lol
    I think the runner option would be good too. It atleast makes a uniform edge. I am affraid with a random corner jutting out like that someone will trip on it, specifically one of my grandparents as this sort of thing has happened before.

Going under the sectional will work as well, but now you're really talking about an area rug rather an art rug. Just two ways to go, you certainly don't want to pay $ 60 a s.f. for something to sit under the furniture (and there's a lot of territory under that sectional). More rug will quiet the room and give you less sound bounce. With bare walls, minimum drapes and a tile floor, I suspect its pretty noisy in the room with a lot of harsh echos. The large rug will absorb all that, so there is another aspect to think about.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Going under the sectional will work as well, but now you're really talking about an area rug rather an art rug. Just two ways to go, you certainly don't want to pay $ 60 a s.f. for something to sit under the furniture (and there's a lot of territory under that sectional). More rug will quiet the room and give you less sound bounce. With bare walls, minimum drapes and a tile floor, I suspect its pretty noisy in the room with a lot of harsh echos. The large rug will absorb all that, so there is another aspect to think about.
    Surprisingly it isn't that bad as far as echoes go. It was pretty bad when the house was empty.

If you went with a rug just under the Ottoman what shape would you do with the curve in mind?

I consider them works of art, and am less concerned with size and fit than I am with the rug itself. I only buy artisan made rugs for my own home, and they ARE like paintings for the floor. My taste would be to go with the Navajo rugs and play around with them to see if I could get the look I wanted.
    Duane Collie