Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey for the perfect sectional!

Default Re: My journey for the perfect sectional!

It really does no good to specify a 'light' or 'heavy' burnish, from what I've seen it makes no difference writing that up on a purchase order.

Yardley is a 'natural hide whereas Aspen is a finished leather. The Yardley will show natural markings and healed scars, etc., the Aspen not so much. Kipling Whiskey really doesn't have reds it in, tis mostly golden ambers and variations of that tone. I think of it more as golden or yellowish base tone. It will definitely be brighter and more gold than the Yardley or Aspen Tobacco shades, for sure.

As to LS/LS or Sofa/LS that's all based on seating size and room size. No right or wrong on that one.

The Sundance will dominate the room as the central piece, that's pretty much a given.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Well hopefully I can make a decision in the next few days.

I wish I could see more pics of the garfield fawn. The sample of that is very nice. That is the sort of depth, and shade of brown I want.

I might need to find a gr 2 to save some cash. Also I am pretty sure unprotected is the way to go.

You can always get a CFA (Cutting For Approval) at no charge after you place the order. That leads to a sample of the actual dye lot being used generated and mailed to you for approval before production begins. That way you can say 'go' or 'no go' to a particular leather. The only downside of CFA's is they add about 4 weeks to the overall build process.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Yea, it sounds like it would make sense to do that with the Garfield hide.. I saw a post where you said you had received a sofa(think it was a sundance) in Garfield chestnut, and it was stunning. Did you ever happen to get pics of that?

I had saw you mention on a Kipling piece that "that doesn't always translate well to loose areas", would this be an issue on the sundance?

Looking at a photo of the Kipling whiskey on a Journey sofa, it does seem to have some depth, and different contrasts within the hide. I am certain I want that. I am not a fan of hides that just look "flat", smooth, and 1 dimensional(if that makes sense).

I have pretty much settled on this entertainment console from Sligh. It is hard to see but the whole piece is curved. I think it should go well with a medium brown Sundance

Ps. Are the sundance cushions affixed to the sofa?
    Last edited by AZJoe; 03-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.

jriley Guest

Here's a link to pics of the Sundance made up in Kipling Cognac, which isn't so different in color from Kipling Whiskey:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ance+sectional

We just received a Roy Lounger (7102) which we ordered from Duane in Kipling Java. I hope to post photos in a day or so. Under the seat cushion is a good-sized swatch of the actual batch of leather from which it was made. The swatch is very soft and supple -- not at all "stiff," and the tailoring around the rolled arms and the curved back of the chair is nice and tight.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jriley View Post
    Here's a link to pics of the Sundance made up in Kipling Cognac, which isn't so different in color from Kipling Whiskey:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ance+sectional

We just received a Roy Lounger (7102) which we ordered from Duane in Kipling Java. I hope to post photos in a day or so. Under the seat cushion is a good-sized swatch of the actual batch of leather from which it was made. The swatch is very soft and supple -- not at all "stiff," and the tailoring around the rolled arms and the curved back of the chair is nice and tight.
    Thanks, I had actually seen that, and those photos really made me fall in love with that sectional.. I feel like I have seen every pic ever posted on this site, at this point..lol

I am not sure if it is the flash, but the cognac seems to have a reddish hue to it.

I look forward to seeing the photos of your lounger.

AZJoe Guest

I wonder if I have an off sample of kipling whiskey. Every person I line the samples for picks garfield fawn as the favorite, and comments whiskey is too red.

I have an equestrian walnut sample too, which is nice but fairly devoid of special effects.

Here's some photos of my Kipling Whiskey 1044 Sadler Recliner that I took with flash, just a few minutes ago. This chair is 3 or 4 years old now. Just for fun, I put a bottle of Heinz Ketchup on the arm so you can use that as a 'color reference' since everyone has that in their kitchen refrigerator.

I don't have any furniture photos that are not posted on the site, sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whiskey2.jpg 
Views:	1294 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	2200

Name:	Whiskey1.jpg 
Views:	1338 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	2202
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whiskey3.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	2201  
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Here's some photos of my Kipling Whiskey 1044 Sadler Recliner that I took with flash, just a few minutes ago. This chair is 3 or 4 years old now. Just for fun, I put a bottle of Heinz Ketchup on the arm so you can use that as a 'color reference' since everyone has that in their kitchen refrigerator.

I don't have any furniture photos that are not posted on the site, sorry.

Name:	Whiskey2.jpg 
Views:	1294 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	2200

Name:	Whiskey1.jpg 
Views:	1338 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	2202
    haha! Thanks.. Talk about going above and beyond.

That is a truly beautiful chair. Seems to be aging well. My biggest worry is wear on the leading edge where you slide on/off the sofa. If I can get 10-12 years with it still looking good, I will be very happy.

Are the sundance cushions affixed to the sofa?

Actually the shot with the Heinz bottle shows more red, it tricked the camera sensor! As you can see when I backed up on the other shots, its really a golden amber.

You shouldn't have any wear issues on the leading edge, I very rarely see that in leather (moreso in fabric)

All the cushions on the Sundance are loose, with industrial grade Velcro to lock them in place.
    Duane Collie