Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey for the perfect sectional!

Monique Guest

Default Re: My journey for the perfect sectional!

A sofa/love seat instead of a sectional gives you more furniture layout options. If you're like me, once you get the room designed, you may rarely change it but then there is the problem a move to another town or house brings about.

With an investment piece of furniture like Hancock and Moore, you will more likely be able to use it in other homes with the sofa/loveseat combination. You can use the sofa alone in a room with a chair; use the love seat in a study, bedroom, or hallway. I see lots of sectionals for sale when folks have moved to a new home bec. they just wouldn't work anymore.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    A sofa/love seat instead of a sectional gives you more furniture layout options. If you're like me, once you get the room designed, you may rarely change it but then there is the problem a move to another town or house brings about.

With an investment piece of furniture like Hancock and Moore, you will more likely be able to use it in other homes with the sofa/loveseat combination. You can use the sofa alone in a room with a chair; use the love seat in a study, bedroom, or hallway. I see lots of sectionals for sale when folks have moved to a new home bec. they just wouldn't work anymore.
    Thanks for your input. That is definitely a good point.

One of my biggest issues with the Sofa/Sofa, or Sofa/Loveseat is that I feel it always alienates someone..lol

bubbaonline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Thanks for your input. That is definitely a good point.

One of my biggest issues with the Sofa/Sofa, or Sofa/Loveseat is that I feel it always alienates someone..lol
    I have that same issue... but, if you go back to that Craigslist photo... If you pull your loveseat or chair into a grouping with the couch (I know..those are two couches), then everything works together, just like a sectional... and, still preserves the option of separating them in the future...

Our couch floats in front of an opening into the kitchen/breakfast room.. with a matching chair that was pushed to one side, in front of the window... Even I felt left out sitting in the chair, and it's my house! But, we pulled the chair in, and it feels like a completely different grouping..

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    I have that same issue... but, if you go back to that Craigslist photo... If you pull your loveseat or chair into a grouping with the couch (I know..those are two couches), then everything works together, just like a sectional... and, still preserves the option of separating them in the future...

Our couch floats in front of an opening into the kitchen/breakfast room.. with a matching chair that was pushed to one side, in front of the window... Even I felt left out sitting in the chair, and it's my house! But, we pulled the chair in, and it feels like a completely different grouping..
    I hear that. Often times I have 2-3 couples over to watch fights, or other things, and it is kind of nice to be able to sit next to your SO, and just relax. The sofa/sofa breaks that up a bit.

Duane- Have you ever had anyone order a sofa, or sectional in two tone, with 2 nice hides?

As I sit around waiting for my swatches to come, I was just pondering this.

Waiting for this beauty is going to be torture..lol

AZJoe Guest

I just received more samples(Thanks Duane!). Here are my thoughts.

1. Aspen Saddle/Tobacco- WOW are these soft. They feel awesome, this material must feel amazing on a sofa. Both have a "special effect" rating of 4, however on the small-ish samples it is not all that noticeable. Is it more pronounced when on a sofa? Is it more prone to wear, being this soft?

2. Garfield Chestnut- Very nice color, nice feel, special effects are noticeable. There doesn't seem to be as much in the way of effects, or contrast as my 2 fawn samples. I really like this one, but it may be just a smidge too dark for what I am trying to do.

3.Garfield Fawn- This was my favorite in my last batch of samples. I actually still have a sample of this here, and Duane you were not lying when you talked about color variance on the Garfields..lol. These are like two totally different shades of brown. I like both, but prefer the lighter brown of the first sample. The second also feels much thicker. Special effects are beautiful in this hide, and that is what keeps me coming back to it. This one would have to be a CFA for sure, which would just be icing on the cake, given its out of stock status..haha

4. Kipling Cognac- Putting that next to the whiskey sample I have, shows that the whiskey is indeed not that red, the cognac has a much more noticeable, red hue.

5. Equestrian Saddle- I have 4 small samples of this. 2 have a more fine grain, and 2 have very large textured grain. I kind of like the color on these, but a bit unsure on the larger of the two textures.

Right now I am still leaning towards the Garfield fawn, it is truly a beautiful hide. The effects, of it are captivating to me. Is it really this nice on a piece of furniture?

Thanks again Duane, you are the hardest working man in the furniture biz

Oh yes, we've done 2-tone and even 3-tone leathers on sectionals and sofas before. There are quite a few photos of pieces made up like this in the Market Photos under the 'Trade News' section.

Aspen is an excellent Grade 2 finished leather. I like this hide much more than the Cavalier and Document that its frequently compared to. At first glance it appears to be an aniline. The special effects I don't find to be excessive - there's a recent photo of Antelope in the Resource Photos section. It seems to hold up well, I've had no complaints from customers who have ordered it or any issues with it.

Garfield does have a lot of high/low variance in the hide, as well as color variation. It can be quite distinctive. Thickness is not an issue, some parts of the cow have thicker skin that others, it just depends on what part of the cow that hide came from.

Kipling Cognac definitely has a pleasant red tone to it, but its subtle.

Equestrian has a smooth grain to it, with a hint of pebbling. If you have a sample that is large/textured that's from the salvage, or part of the hide they don't use in making furniture, but DO use for samples.

I happen to like Garfield quite a bit. It has deeper, translucent color than any other hide in the H&M line and great natural markings. The colors tones vary widely from batch to bath, a CFA is wide to do unless you have a wide tolerance for color variation, and the surface of the hide is a bit slick, though not glossy.

Glad to answer all the questions! Anyone can sell you a sofa - I've got to beat them all on service whenever possible.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

I would say at this point it is between the Garfield, and Kipling whiskey. I will see what my wife says when she gets home from work, tomorrow morning.

I still can't believe how soft the aspen is. Not sure how I feel on the protected though.

I was just going through one of the market threads, and ran across Capri Harness..wow. looks beautiful, along with the butternut. Too bad I have already went from a G1 to Gr3. I am not sure a gr4 is in the cards. This forum is a terrible influence on me.

Do you have a favorite Gr3 Duane?

HA! It's like buying a new car....you go in to the dealership after doing your homework to get the base model, then see the Deluxo-Snazzo job in the middle of the showroom floor and it 'wows' you. You say "Not gonna do it", but the plain-jane based model doesn't stir you in the least. Soon you walk out the door with the cool-O optioned-up one, happier but a little lighter in the wallet then you planned. Same way with leather furniture. I just went through all that myself on a new gas cooktop for our home. We were determined to buy nothing more exotic than a GE Monogram - that was the upper limit. After three trips to the Appliance store, we bought the Thermadore at twice the price of the GE. That GE was just never going to work once we saw the Thremadore - I just have to sell a few more sofas to pay for it! <chortle>

Capri Butternet is as good as leather gets. It's just flat-out wonderful. I will own a piece in that leather myself one day. But as you know, it comes with a stiff price tag.

There are not that many GR 3 hides. I do like Equestrian, but its a saddle leather and squeaks like a horse saddle. (rub it against itself, face to face on the sample). If that noise doesn't bother you, that a strong, pleasant, durable leather. Garfield I like for the color depth and transparency. Its a very handsome hide to look at but lacks that ultra-softness of the Capri. All the Burnished leathers are GR 3, and I happen to like all of them as well. Weston is another good GR 3 that has a nice balance to it.

Kipling Whiskey will color-up and show like Capri Butternut from 10 feet away, it will look almost the same - just glossier. When you sit on it, it has a waxy hand to it which is not objectionable in the least, but its a different feel from the the Capri/Equestrian, etc. And of course, being a GR 2 leather is less costly.

Aspen is really decent for a GR2 Protected (Finished) Leather. I'd not discount that either, but you will not get the 'hallmarks of the trail' on a protected leather that you get with the anilines. You're looking at good hides in all those you mentioned, so I don't think there is a bad pick in the batch, just different. And buy within your comfort zone for dollar expenditures, too. While the high end leathers are spectacular they still need to be attainable withing everyone's individual budget.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Thanks again for the response. I am a big time car guy, so I know that analogy well. I buy and sell cars like I change my underwear.haha My thought process is if you are spending a large some of money, you might as well go for the gusto, and ensure you are going to be happy. I would rather have a $9k sofa I adored, then a $7k sofa I regret.

Had 2 more quick questions and thoughts.

1. I had saw a post where you mentioned you have sent H&M samples of leather, and they have sifted through their hides in an attempt to best match it. Would this be something I could do, to avoid a CFA? For instance send my garfield sample, and just say, get me as close to this as you can?

2. Can you send me a price on the 4718LAQ/4716RAQ in a gr4 I might as well see what it will run me..lol

Here are the two Garfield fawn samples. The lighter one is the one we both would prefer.

Last edited by AZJoe; 03-19-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Monique Guest

Which model sofa is pictured in your post? Thank you!