Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for online purchase of a leather sofa

miles Guest

Default Advice needed for online purchase of a leather sofa

I have been looking for a sofa that is similar in style to the Lancaster Sofa sold by Restoration Hardware but do not want to be swayed by the fancy name of RH and pay a premium for that brand.

I have seen close comparisons in terms of style at least in some online companies such as leathergroups.com and cascobay furniture. A few others have styles that could resemble the Lancaster but just not quite there.

I have some questions in no particular order of importance (or maybe they need to be and I, a novice to this whole leather buying experience, could be naive to what I am getting myself into)

1- How critical is a 8 way coil versus a spring suspension? Leathergroups' Langston sofa has responded saying that they would do either at no additional charge but my understanding is that the 8 way coil is a lot more laborious and costly.

2- According to Leathergroup's website, the frame is a "Solid, kiln-dried Hardwood frame with Corner Block Re-inforcements". Is that the standard? I understand that a lot of companies use plywood vs hardwood to minimize costs as well. How could I really gauge what wood is used in the frame being that this is an online purchase? Do I just have to take their word for it?

This is a substantial expenditure so I'd like to make the most educated decision possible. Input would be greatly appreciated plus any experiences with these companies or others who carry the Lancaster version of a leather sofa.

Thanks!

Default Re: Advice needed for online purchase of a leather sofa

If given a choice between an 8-way hand-tied coil suspension vs a spring system...DEFINITELY take the 8-way, its the gold standard. Of course it has to be done correctly and need a very strong, very tight webbing with steel band reinforcement else the sofa will sag as it ages.

Yes, kiln-dried solid hardwood is top drawer for framing. Short of watching the build it or cutting open a dust panel to look inside, you pretty much have to take their word on it. A properly done hardwood frame has very little torsional twist in it however. You can tell by picking up a front leg corner and see how much the frame racks before the other leg comes off the ground. Most solid hardwood sofa frames will lift about 1.5" before the second leg comes up. A Plywood frame has much more twist and will be more like 2.5" to 3" before the second leg lifts.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

My guess on the 8 way hand-tied coils vs. spring system is that they have already priced the sofa with the 8 way coils and will make extra profit if you choose the spring suspension.

Regarding the frame -- Kiln-dried solid hardwood with corner blocking are standard in top quality furniture, but there are other requirements that are also necessary to make sure you are getting a top quality frame.

1. The solid hardwood frame should be built from 5/4" lumber. There are many companies that use 4/4". It is a lot cheaper and not nearly as strong. I have heard of sofas with 6/4" lumber but have never seen one. They would have to be incredibly heavy.

2. Are the frames glued, screwed and double doweled? Many sofa manufacturers will simply shoot the frames together using staples. When staples are used with a plywood frame there is an extra risk that they will pull out eventually.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

harland Guest

Wink Re: Advice needed for online purchase of a leather sofa

Quote Originally Posted by simplyjeff
    Many sofa manufacturers will simply shoot the frames together using staples. When staples are used with a plywood frame there is an extra risk that they will pull out eventually.
    Here are some pictures...

Sold by a Swedish company who shall remain nameless...

Wow. That's impressive.....in a bad way.

Only time I see furniture made like that is the stuff customers ask us to haul away and take to the dump for them.
    Duane Collie

miles Guest

Thanks for the advice . The seller has not responded to the frame question yet. He was immediately responsive to the suspension question though. So I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Has anyone had direct experience purchasing from either of those sites that they would be willing to share?

That picture of the Swedish sofa is pretty amazing but if I can guess which company that is, I'm not really surprised.

MandyHoffman Guest

I'm hopping in on this thread because I am a newbie here and in a similar situation. After nearly a year of searching for a new sofa, knowing NOTHING about furniture and having a limited budget, I have only just now come across this forum and joined. Needless to say, I'm intimidated and intrigued and have found everything to be very informative. As a newbie, I OBVIOUSLY watched the H & M video. Holy smokes!! I can see why people have fallen in love and stand behind the quality of that. I can only aspire to own a H & M sofa someday. It has taken me a year to save for the 3K budget I have so that may not be possible for us right now, given our specific needs/wants. We really like the RH Maxwell sofa..fairly contemporary lines..low back, deep, 2 seat cushions, low square arms....these are the things we're looking for. Leathergroups can save us a little bit of money on this with the Braxton and although I've never made a purchase this big online, especially for something that gets as much mileage as a car...so I'm terrified and want to be informed. I'm pretty confident that I understand now what I'm looking for in a frame and suspension system. Cushion core & leathers will be on my research list today but I, too, am very curious about people's experience with leathergroups.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyHoffman View Post
    I'm hopping in on this thread because I am a newbie here and in a similar situation. After nearly a year of searching for a new sofa, knowing NOTHING about furniture and having a limited budget, I have only just now come across this forum and joined. Needless to say, I'm intimidated and intrigued and have found everything to be very informative. As a newbie, I OBVIOUSLY watched the H & M video. Holy smokes!! I can see why people have fallen in love and stand behind the quality of that. I can only aspire to own a H & M sofa someday. It has taken me a year to save for the 3K budget I have so that may not be possible for us right now, given our specific needs/wants. We really like the RH Maxwell sofa..fairly contemporary lines..low back, deep, 2 seat cushions, low square arms....these are the things we're looking for. Leathergroups can save us a little bit of money on this with the Braxton and although I've never made a purchase this big online, especially for something that gets as much mileage as a car...so I'm terrified and want to be informed. I'm pretty confident that I understand now what I'm looking for in a frame and suspension system. Cushion core & leathers will be on my research list today but I, too, am very curious about people's experience with leathergroups.
    You can easily purchase a Hancock and Moore # 5359 Illusion Sofa in Piazza Mocha (Town and Country Promotion) including shipping anywhere in the USA and be well under your $ 3K budget.
    Duane Collie

miles Guest

How can I see the H & M sofas in person? I live in NYC and see a bunch of stores e.g AMERICAN HOME BY SAFAVIEH orTRIBECA BAKER that supposedly have their sofas but when I actually go to the store's website, I dont see anything regarding H & M. Can anyone advise where I can be guaranteed to actually see some H&M sofas in the showroom?

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    How can I see the H & M sofas in person? I live in NYC and see a bunch of stores e.g AMERICAN HOME BY SAFAVIEH orTRIBECA BAKER that supposedly have their sofas but when I actually go to the store's website, I dont see anything regarding H & M. Can anyone advise where I can be guaranteed to actually see some H&M sofas in the showroom?
    You just have to call them and see what they have on the floor. Rather than targeting a specific model, just ask how many frames they may have. For example, right now I have (24) pieces on H&M on my showroom display floor. Any store that shows that many frames may not have the specific model you're looking for, but there's enough representation that you can get a pretty good idea of the product line overall.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie