Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&M sofa questions/advice

Kgaddy Guest

Default H&M sofa questions/advice

We are looking for a H&M leather sofa, and we want a sofa that you “sit in” rather than “sit on”. We want one that is comfortable for laying down. We don't want a sofa that feels too formal (like you are waiting to see the dentist). We want something in between a man cave sofa and super formal. We don't like bustle back sofas (e.g. Austin) and prefer to avoid camelbacks and extra big rolled arms (we prefer a little less traditional without being too contemporary). We are replacing a tight back sofa which we find very comfortable and not too formal (but it is about 25 years old and it’s time to go).

In terms of size, we are looking for a sofa between 80 to 94” W, between 38 to 45” D and preferably at least 36” tall. We would like an inside width of 68”+ and an inside depth of around 22”.

In terms of comfort, here are the H&M Sofas that we’ve been able to find in our area and our reactions:

1) Arrington (comfortable though a bit formal feeling)
    2) Bronson (very comfortable/but outside depth is enormous)
    3) Tides (seat depth seems shallow and it’s a bit formal feeling)
    4) September (good but not great; feels a bit small)
    5) Crosby (not very comfortable); and
    6) Sundance (seat depth seems a bit much)

Our short list includes the Sloane, Rugby Club, Dempsey, and the Lynne.

Questions:

1) Does anyone think that we have overlooked a great H&M sofa that fits our criteria?
    2) Can anyone compare the “sit” of our short list to the sofas we’ve found locally (e.g. is the Rugby Club similar to the Arrington?)
    3) Is the Sloane in Capri Harness too formal for a den?
    4) Has anyone purchased the Dempsey and what do you think?
    5) If we decide on the Rugby Club, is it be crazy to pass up the T&C Weston Cane option in favor of the Capri?
    6) Is there a picture of the Rugby Club with wedge feet available (one person on the forum said they ordered it that way)?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

For Duane, I'll be in Raleigh in April. Is it still possible to arrange for a tour of H&M in Hickory? If it is, how long will be needed for the tour? I should be able to get there around 2:30pm and would need to leave by around 9:00am the next day.

Thanks to all!

Default Re: H&M sofa questions/advice

The Rugby in the T&C Weston Cane is my absolute favorite looking sofa ...but I could never find one to sit on. We selected the Sundance after an 18-month search, sitting on it (or should I say in it) convinced us that it was the most comfortable for us (5'6" & 6'1"). Love the Bronson as well ...wondering about the Carmen for you all (won't find that in your dentist's office)? The Sloane looks great, and not too formal.

Kgaddy Guest

Thanks so much wisejd - it's nice to hear the thoughts of another rookie poster! We also like the Carmen and it looks like it would be comfortable. It did not make our short list given that we trying to move away from the camelbacks (have two already). Thanks for the feedback on the Rugby and the Sloane as well.

1) The 9503 Kodiak, you'll love the way it sits, perhaps not the looks.
    2) Yes, Rugby Club is similar in the sit to the Arrington, but has more pitch to the back angle.
    3) It would have to be a classy den.
    5) Two different leathers and two different feels and looks. Burnished leathers are 'crusty' and not that supple, Capri on the other hand is total luxury.
    6) Not that I know of

Yes, tours are done Mon-Thurs and take at least 90 minutes, more like 3 hours if Jimmy Moore takes you around. And you WANT a Jimmy Moore tour! 2:30 p.m. is too late in the day, they shut down at 3 p.m. You'd have to get there by 1 p.m. to really see anything.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Kgaddy Guest

Thank you Duane. I have a couple of follow-up questions.

What is the earliest time during the day that a tour of H&M can be scheduled?

Of the sofas mentioned in our area above, can you suggest which one (if any) would compare in terms of "sit" to the Lynne?, Sloane? Dempsey?

Is there anything closer to the Rugby than the Arrington in terms of sit? I'm trying to figure out if I would love or hate the back angle.

How do the sit of the Lynne and the Arrington compare? I assume similar other than the back angle. Also, have you ever done wedge feet on the Lynne?

Thank you!!!!

Kgaddy Guest

Duane,

For the last question, I meant to say, how do the sit of the Lynne and Rugby compare? I assume similar other than the back angle. Also have you ever done wedge feet on the Lynne? (sorry about that).

Thanks again!

Sorry, I can't compare 'sit levels' from memory, the only way to determine that is to have them all side-by-side and it would be a dis-service to tell you otherwise.

The Lynne sofa already comes with a wedge leg!
    Duane Collie

Kgaddy Guest

OK, that's understandable. I think perhaps the name of the leg that I am considering is a tapered block leg like what is on the Dempsey. Do you think that would work on the Lynne?

Also, what is the earliest time that tours of H&M can be scheduled during the day?

Thank you.

They both have tapered legs on them, the difference is the Dempsey leg is short and squat, the Lynne is longer. By fitting the Dempsey leg onto the Lynne, you are going to drop the front of the sofa down an unacceptable level as it will change all the pitch angles. To make a fat wedge leg the required height would push the leg past its design borders and it will look terrible. One must be careful when one starts re-designing furniture lest you make a costly mistake.
    Duane Collie

Kgaddy Guest

OK, thanks for the advice. I certainly would not go against your advice and when it comes time to ordering, I may need some guidance about customization options that make sense for the sofa that I end up deciding on.

I tried to call H&M today to see about what times the tours start but they are closed due to the weather. Guess I will try again tomorrow.