Thread: D.R. Dimes ceases operations

Default D.R. Dimes ceases operations

At one time (1986 to 1999) The Keeping Room was the largest D.R. Dimes dealer in the country. We sold so much of their product that I was making a trip to their facility in our Freightliner truck every four weeks and would come back entirely full. On average we sold 2,000 Windsor chairs per year and many, many case goods. We had a falling out with them in year 2000 and ceased doing business over policies and personalities so it's been a long time since we've had their product in the store. This part of the industry has really taken a beating, with very few left making quality American reproduction furniture, and demand has fallen off to virtually nothing for it as well. If you are in New England here's what's left of their inventory going to auction:

https://paulmcinnis.nextlot.com/public/sales/83854/lots
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-08-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

adam66 Guest

Default Re: D.R. Dimes ceases operations

i talked to him last year and was going to buy about 7K of furniture but when i asked if i could see a few pieces in person he cut off all contact with me. I'm not surprised by this

Default Re: D.R. Dimes ceases operations

One of the reasons I ceased doing business with them in year 2000 was they refused to let my customers come to the workshop in New Hampshire to pick up their pieces once the son (Douglas P) took over the business (from Douglas R). That caused a lot of friction as I had many customers within an hour or two drive of their facility, and I would have to drive the eleven hours north to go pick up the pieces then delivery them to people 30 miles away from the factory. That didn't make sense. Perhaps he was concerned people where going to gain proprietary information by coming to the workshop? ..... I don't really know. In the end carrying the line just was not working and I was able to supplement it from other makers more interested in doing business rather than setting up rules.

The good news is their pieces are very inexpensive on the resale market, selling for pennies on the dollar of what they were new. You can still find many places to purchase it pre-owned and the quality is top shelf.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.