Thread: H&M Leather Identification?

smhinds Guest

Default H&M Leather Identification?

Does anyone know what leather is shown on the 7102 Roy Lounger on the H&M website?

Thanks!

jriley Guest

Default Re: Does anyone know what leather

I asked Duane the same question in a PM and this is what he said: "The 7102 in the website is most probably in Atticus Java or Lucas Tobacco, as it was introduced at the same market those leathers were rolled out."

I have a Roy Lounger ordered in Kipling Java. I"ll try to post a few pics when it's delivered. I can tell you from samples i have that the Kipling Java is a shade or so darker than the Atticus Java. I also have a sample of Atticus Cordovan, the leather available for the Roy in the Town & Country Program. It doesn't work for us because it's a little too red, but if it fits in your decor you should consider it because Atticus is a rich looking leather and very soft and supple.

smhinds Guest

Jriley-

Thanks for the info. Were you able to sit/see the Roy Lounger in a store? I can only find the Miller recliner...I like the looks of the Roy better. My husband thought the Miller he tried out was very comfortable. I'm also looking at the Kipling Java, Antelope Nugget, Milan Saddle and Garfield Mocha. I really want something that will pantina/age well. Like Duane says- worn in jeans. I have a small dog that might make some scratch marks. I'm thinking a distressed pull up waxy leather might hide these better. Any thoughts? Thx

jriley Guest

No, we did not see the Roy in person. I'm hoping ours will be delivered before the end of the month (March), and I can post my feedback then. I did sit in the Miller and found it comfortable, but a bit too large for me (I'm 5' 4"), so I think the Roy's slightly smaller size might suit us better. Like you, I think the styling is really sharp.

Cocnerning the leathers you mention, the Antelope, while a very well-regarded and popular leather, probably wouldn't give you the look you want because it's a protected leather and also has hand-applied-dye effects. I'm sure it ages beautifully, but there are other leathers that will develope more of the natural patina you're after. I have a sample of Milan Saddle, and it does have that waxy, "scratchy" look, but it's also quite thick and not as supple as some others. Duane could better tell you whether it would tailor well on the Roy.

You also might consider Tuscany Harness or Sedona Sable, although the Sedona goes too far in the "worn" direction for us. Another really good choice is Pecos Mink. Duane posted a pic (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...a-in-Pecos-Oak) of a sofa in a lighter Pecos color that shows the look I think you want. Atticus Java is also very nice.

smhinds Guest

I just rcvd some samples from H&M. The Kipling Java looks different than the sample I saw in a store...it has some red tones to it? I really want a dark brown with no red undertones. Maybe the sample was mislabeled. The Columbia Molasses is the color I'm looking for...I just didn't want a protected leather. Does anyone know if Garfield comes in a dark brown? Thx

markr Guest

Kipling is a leather that varies in color, as does Garfield (Garfield even moreso!). There will be noticeable dye lot variances from one batch to another on the order of 5 % to 15 % in color. Kipling Java usually does not have any red undertones in my experience. Could it be mis-labeled? Its possible...though its pretty rare for that to occur. Samples are often taken from the perimeter of the hide that is not used in production, and the color does not flow evenly on hides (the fringe edges are almost always a different tone or shade). That's more likely to be the case rather than a mis-label. The only way to be sure with any leather order - from any maker if color tone is critical is to request a CFA (Cutting For Approval) after you place your order. This will delay production of your order by 3 to 4 weeks overall, but you get to see a cutting of the actual hide to be used on your order and the option to cancel or change the order if you don't like what you see.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.