Thread: Counter Height stools

dimako Guest

Default Counter Height stools

Hi,
    looking for another advice. this time it is all about counter height stools. Can't find any decent information about who decent and above quality stools.
    Duane mentioned H&M, however I am looking for lower price point for a counter stool.
    Any idea who makes them, preferably in US? My wife prefers them made of wood, with a back and upholstered [maybe] . Something comfortable and well built.

Most of what we saw are poorly made and all are from China. Found them to be very uncomfortable and very unbalanced. Tried swivel, liked the idea but again... quality was bad, I felt how it gave on one side under my weight. Did not like that at all.

Any advice where to find them and who makes these stools these days?

Thank you,
    DK

Default Re: Counter Height stools

I Googled "counter stools" "Made in America" or "made in USA" for US manufacturers and found several sites. Good luck.

Monique Guest

You might find some nice used ones. Check Craig's list and the local antique stores. People move so much these days and the counters heights don't always suit so I guess it is the kind of thing you replace more often.

When shopping counter stools, you want appx. a 10" to 11" drop from the counter top to the seat. If your counter is 34" high, then a 24" seat height works for most.

A wooden stool has a lot of stress on it. More than a chair, because its taller. If its a glue socket design its going to get the wiggles in about 6 to 8 years. Here's what I have in my house and they're not 10 years old, solid as a brick. Made in Rhode Island, they're bore and wedge construction and about $ 500 per. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

http://www.warrenchairworks.com/wind...nal_stools/50/
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    When shopping counter stools, you want appx. a 10" to 11" drop from the counter top to the seat. If your counter is 34" high, then a 24" seat height works for most.

A wooden stool has a lot of stress on it. More than a chair, because its taller. If its a glue socket design its going to get the wiggles in about 6 to 8 years. Here's what I have in my house and they're not 10 years old, solid as a brick. Made in Rhode Island, they're bore and wedge construction and about $ 500 per. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

http://www.warrenchairworks.com/wind...nal_stools/50/
    Those are nice! I assume the H&M stools are of similar quality?

I personally will not buy swiveling stools, or ones with arms again. IMO non swiveling, with a back, but no arms is perfect. My current stools swivel, and have arms, and everyone sits there, and swivels, smashing my stools into my tiled counter-top, which has taken a toll on the arms..

H&M makes a pretty good barstool. My wife wants to upgrade our windsor ones with some H&M leather ones but just like everyone else here - I have to budget it in (No, I don't get my furniture free!) I am not a fan of armchairs on stools, they just get in the way and are harder to get in and out of the stool. Swiveling I'm on the fence, neither pro nor con, but only on a sidechair stool.
    Duane Collie

dimako Guest

Duane, i am on a fence as you...
    Swivel stool, a pro side as I can see it is when you have more than 3 people sitting, you are in the middle and you want to get out...
    Another reason why I like it helps to protect your floor from occasional either harsh movement and pressure.

Never liked sidearms on counter stools.
    Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer:
    http://www.darafeev.com/
    Or this: http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com...?ProductID=577

They seem to be of a high quality.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by dimako; 03-22-2011 at 06:07 PM.

I don't have hands-on experience with either of those makers but the carringtoncourt looks to be well made. As long as they are using solid hardwood frames and have a lifetime frame warranty that's about all you can ask for. 30" seat height is very tall on those those, however. Stay within that 10" drop from the counter height range.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by dimako View Post
    Duane, i am on a fence as you...
    Swivel stool, a pro side as I can see it is when you have more than 3 people sitting, you are in the middle and you want to get out...
    Another reason why I like it helps to protect your floor from occasional either harsh movement and pressure.

Never liked sidearms on counter stools.
    Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer:
    http://www.darafeev.com/
    Or this: http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com...?ProductID=577

They seem to be of a high quality.

What do you guys think?
    Last year Duane said my GR3 Burnished Imperial Whiskey leather could be purchased from H&M for about $15/sq. ft. (Don't know the current price.)

If you find stools you like but don't like the leather or upholstery, perhaps you could find someone to recover locally with H&M hides.