Thread: Help me with sofa choices...

bubbaonline Guest

Default Help me with sofa choices...

Well.. I was pretty sure I wanted a leather sofa, until my wife convinced me that wasn't true.... lol..

Her (and now my) preferred seating choice is a sofa, with a chair and a 1/2 w/ottoman..

She did say that she could see the sofa in fabric, with the rest of it in leather...

So... I really like the Settlement sofa from H&M, and it is also available as a chair/and half. But, would I be better off with something by Taylor King or another brand that specializes in upholstery, given that the larger piece will be fabric? If so, any suggestions of a sofa that is similar? What I really like about the Settlement is that 29" interior depth.. (also, like the general style, even though it's huge). Our current mid-late '90s Henredon sofa has a similar depth, and it is top-notch for taking naps...

Another thought I had.... was just doing the cushions in fabric on the Settlement, with the rest in leather.... but, maybe I'm overshooting the budget... that can't be cheap.

All replies appreciated.

regards,

Default Re: Help me with sofa choices...

We can certainly do the H&M Settlement in Fabric, or in a 2-tone with leather/fabric if you like. But the high wear area is in the cushions, so wouldn't you want that in leather? Give it some cleaning and conditioning and the hide will go 30+ years, no fabric will do that. Is you wife against the leather because she will say its 'sticky' in the summer and cold in the winter? I hear that often....but those are cheaper leathers that do that. Good ones don't. In fact, in the winter the leather actually holds the heat from your body and makes it nicer than fabric to nap in (I know this from personal experience).

Taylor King and H&M are built virtually the same. No wonder, since they have the same principal owners. You will find going in fabric is not really that much of a cost savings, and if you do a split leather/fabric combo, it will price at the leather. It all comes down to the style and cover.

The Settlement is a very large sofa! It does come with 4 pillows, so here's a thought. Have the pillows done in Suede, they won't slide on the leather and are oh-so-nice for napping.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

I fully understand your logic.. And yet, I'm still married to my wife... lol.

On the Taylor King website, I found the Loughlin sofa (plus chair and a half, ottoman). You can see it here:
    http://www.taylorking.com/details.ph..._road&protype=

A little smaller and plainer than the Settlement, but still a large sofa, with features we like (un-skirted, loose back, etc). Can one do that one in fabric, then the chair/half and ottoman in leather? Any pros and cons vs. the Settlement? (same way.. fabric sofa and leather chair/half and ottoman).

You talked me out of the leather base with fabric cushions.....

Sure! These are both full-house custom companies. You can make it up any way you like. Not really any pros or cons from one to the other, construction is top-line on both makes and prices are similar as well. At the end of the day its who has the cover you like and the sofa style you want....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

Thanks for the advice!