Thread: Leather Color Question & City Chair 9842 Question

SofaInSF Guest

Default Leather Color Question & City Chair 9842 Question

What started as a sofa and loveseat purchase has now expanded to include a chair and ottoman. Since we may get the chair/ottoman in a matching color, I think it is best everything be ordered at once to prevent shade variances.

I can't find the City Chair 9842 to test sit. I thought the chair would be very similar to the sofa, but the City Sofa has two sizes. We sat in the regular City sofa and found that too small. The larger City 9844 was more to our liking. The chair's specs show that the depth is even 1/2 inch smaller than the regular sized City sofa. Does that mean that the City Chair won't feel right to us? Or are chairs really intended to be used with the ottomans for maximum comfort?

Also, I was browsing through older posts and saw a pic of a couch in a discontinued leather - Payson Chino. I found that leather shade to be gorgeous. Wouldn't you know that I would fall in love with a discontinued shade? Does anyone have any thoughts to a comparable leather color?

Thanks!

Default Re: Leather Color Question & City Chair 9842 Question

If dye lot match is important, you definitely want to order everything at the same time. As a bonus, it usually saves a few dollars on freight to get all together rather than in two or three ships.

If you don't like the way the # 9840 sits, then I think you won't like the # 9842 chair, as it specs out the same. H&M has done the # 9842 as a custom and we can add in depth to make it 22" or 23" (latter the same as the # 9844). I can work up a custom quote for that once we have the leather grade selected.

Yes, Payson Chino (GR3) is gone...but there are other leathers quite similar in shade. Equestrian Toffee is one that comes to mind as well as Garfield Fawn (both GR3's).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

SofaInSF Guest

An update--

I believe we've decided on our leather. It will be Caress Parchment. I requested various swatches via Duane on two separate occasions and both times this particular color was out of stock. When I mentioned this in a PM to Duane, he quickly put his own dealer cutting of the Caress Parchment (Class 2) and a similar shaded Bari Plateau (Class 3) in the mail to me with a request that his samples be returned to him. I found this so amazing that he would do this without requesting a deposit or a credit card number.

I love both colors and actually like the Bari very much, but it is unprotected and I can't go for that with my young children. I think the Caress will suit us just fine and we'll be able to stay in a Class 2 price point.

Duane, we are still deciding on the chair to go with our City 9844 and loveseat. Can you please PM me a quote for the custom on the City Chair to a 23" depth? While you're at it, can you find out if the Caress Parchment is currently in stock? I'm afraid that it isn't currently in stock since there were no swatches. How long a wait if this leather is on backorder?

I'm not a leather snob, but I have definitely learned so much since joining this forum. Thanks to all.

Glad to do it...samples are made out of scraps. they almost never cut up a pure hide for samples, that's probably why they were out of the swatches.

I never ask for a deposit on samples or charge for them. I believe most people are honest and do the right thing, its a cornerstone of my business. A handshake is usually enough, even if its just digital. In return, I try to always do the right thing for customer too. I'm not a big contractual paperwork guy (hate it), though credit card companies are pretty much forcing merchants to get signatures on everything now so I've had to bend to their will on that. But that's another story / post entirely.

H&M will make the # 9842 Chair to the # 9844 Sofa specs for a $ 260 custom charge. That means an inside depth of 23". Not a bad price for custom....

As of today they have 900 s.f. of Caress Parchment in stock, with none on order. It takes appx. 500 s.f. to do a 9844 City sofa, and 400 s.f. to do the loveseat. If we're going to add a chair, then there won't be enough leather and it will take 6 to 8 weeks to order in a new batch of leather, then the usual 5 to 6 weeks production and 2.5 to 3 weeks transit when done.

Feel free to 'test' both the samples of Bari and Caress in your kitchen while you have them. Spill things on them, and see what soaks in and what doesn't. Everything should come off the Caress, and the Bari should sluff off everything but heavy oils and acids (ammonia, vinegar, etc.). Don't worry about ruining them...use 'em!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Feel free to 'test' both the samples of Bari and Caress in your kitchen while you have them. Spill things on them, and see what soaks in and what doesn't. Everything should come off the Caress, and the Bari should sluff off everything but heavy oils and acids (ammonia, vinegar, etc.). Don't worry about ruining them...use 'em!
    Mustard has been one of the most difficult stains I've had to remove on fabric. You might want to test that on the 'unprotected' hides.