Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Alternative

Hybrid View

Default Leather Alternative

A couple times a year I will get a request for 'waterproof' leather, either because of pets or due to very hard use, or sometimes incontinent folks in the home. While most leather can take the occasional water spillage with no issues, it cannot tolerate long term moisture saturation (such as sitting on a sofa with a very wet bathing suit watching TV for three hours).

The medical industry does not use leather furniture for that reason as well.

But there is an interest in high-end leather-look coverings, and there are some products on the market that are very close to looking and feeling like leather. This is one such product that is available through Hancock and Moore as a Grade H fabric. Thought some would be interested in seeing photos and description of it.

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 2142
Size:  190.3 KB
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  157.3 KB
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  141.6 KB
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Leather Alternative

Can I tell you just how thrilled I am to learn about this?!?! I don't use leather products, but have always wished that a both durable and beautiful eco-friendly alternative would magically appear. Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. Have you seen a piece in person, Duane? Is this covering more expensive than either leather or fabric might be? Thanks so much for passing along the information!

As a matter of fact, I have seen it. Here's a piece that came through the store a couple of years ago. Like most things, the good stuff is not inexpensive, comparable to high end fabric or mid-grade leather in price.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ighlight=vinyl
    Duane Collie

organic_smallhome Guest

Thank you. The one in your photo is sporting actual vinyl, right? Not the new "Brisa"?

Correct! The 'Brisa' is the latest and the greatest. Its much better. See the brown "Buckskin" swatch on the one sample? The Large one? Its EXCELLENT....
    Duane Collie

Seniorback Guest

Duane, Pls let me confirm that a B&Y recliner can be ordered from you in this H&M leather alternative, Brisa. I saw a post about it and understand that there is a charge for doing this. Thank you.

That post is over 5 years old, and from the Cabot Wren Medical division of Hancock and Moore. I would have to look into things and see if there is something available, it's not a mainstream item and may no longer be around. That is a medical grade vinyl that is as costly as leather as i recall, it will not be less in price than a decent leather and all vinyls are actually a form of plastic. I question why you would want this? The only benefit is it will stand up to water saturation better than leather. Sorry, it will be quite costly to use a H&M cover on a B-Y piece. The charge would be significant, nearly doubling the price of the B-Y recliner.
    Duane Collie

Seniorback Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That post is over 5 years old, and from the Cabot Wren Medical division of Hancock and Moore. I would have to look into things and see if there is something available, it's not a mainstream item and may no longer be around. That is a medical grade vinyl that is as costly as leather as i recall, it will not be less in price than a decent leather and all vinyls are actually a form of plastic. I question why you would want this? The only benefit is it will stand up to water saturation better than leather. Sorry, it will be quite costly to use a H&M cover on a B-Y piece. The charge would be significant, nearly doubling the price of the B-Y recliner.

Sorry, with my being new to the forum, even the old posts are new info to me. Please do not pursue anything on these samples.
    There was a post even older than this in which a customer did not want leather on his recliner. You advised him against fabric and remarked that H & M has a leather substitute it used in making furniture for medical practitioners. Then this post on Brisa appeared as an improvement to what H & M had been using. I can see that it never caught on with customers and that it would very expensive.
    I inquired about it because I will soon be 65, want the relief a recliner with give from my back pain, but if I am going to purchase a piece of furniture that will last 20 yrs(which is probably longer than I will), I want it to holdup to the mishaps that can occur as I age. Like when more of applesauce lands on the chair than arrives at my mouth. Sorry for the tasteless joke. Seems like the best looking leathers are the most likely to be ruined by mishaps.
    Thanks very much for your patience and advice. You are truly an honorable businessman.
    Last edited by Seniorback; 03-04-2016 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

ViviV Guest

Seniorback, I'm not an expert AT ALL on leather but in the midst of figuring out what leather to put on my sectional I've received free samples from Hancock and Moore that Duane requested for me and I've taken them to the kitchen for chemistry 101 type experiments.
    You would be AMAZED at how resistant the unprotected leathers are!! I'm not kidding when I say that I've poured and rubbed all sorts of food and drink on them. I've also scratched them like crazy and they look great instantly or within hours. Applesauce is a joke compared to olive oils, vinegar, ketchup, salad dressing, etc. that I poured and rubbed on the samples.
    So I guess what I'm saying is that you need to keep reading on this forum about how incredible the H&M products are and the experience of everyone here will help you.
    Real leather is preferable any day over fabric and plastic !!! Don't give up
    Last edited by ViviV; 03-04-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Seniorback Guest

Thanks very much, ViviV.