Thread: Hancock & Moore Factory Tour

Default Hancock & Moore Factory Tour

Just returned from 5 weeks in sunny Florida. Spent all our time at a beach condo in the Cape Canaveral area. Great weather, watched the Discovery launch and return along with 2 other rocket launches. Amazing time and a great get away. On the trip back we took the western route through Charlotte, NC and stopped in Hickory for a tour of the H&M factory. Duane thanks for arranging this tour for my wife and myself. First let me comment that the most impressive part of the morning spent at H&M was the friendliness and hospitality afforded us. We spent time with Rick Fox, head of the burnishing department, and Jimmy Moore the founder and active head of the manufacturing operations. We met Gloria the office manager (Duane I did give her a hug for you) and many proud and happy employees who took time from their tasks to explain how they contribute to building the wonderful products or to just welcome us. It was interesting to see how the finished product came together as the work elements and steps flowed from department to department. We were surprised how much of the production was really custom with the buyer requesting changes in frames, multiple coverings on single pieces, interesting leather and leather/fabric choices, and some really odd designer specified pieces (how does a bright, shiny, silver crocodile leather over a large sofa and chair appeal to you?). Jimmy Moore had many stories to tell as we toured, but at the same time was interacting with his employees (he knew them all by first name) to help with a question or problem. The team at H&M really functioned like a family and the employees have many years of experience and knowledge of their jobs. Having spent my own career managing large manufacturing operations I can appreciate the importance to a successful operation that a proud, well trained, experienced, and committed team of employees brings. It certainly shows in the end product.

Of particular interest during the tour was the burnishing operations. My wife was particularly involved with discussing the steps involved with 2 of the women finishing a large sofa. Mr. Fox was particularly proud of the department and the quality control that they utilized. They do have standard panels of burnished/finished leathers for each of the combinations of leather and color that they utilize. They will often refer to the standard as they engage in the burnishing steps. Their only willful deviation is when a customer requests a light or heavy burnish. After watching this operation we no longer are hesitant about a future purchase with burnished leather.

It is difficult to summarize our 2.5 hours at H&M in just a short post. I guess my best effort would be to say the people and the experience did not disappoint and was well worth the unpleasant experience of I-77 and I-81 through NC and VA at the end of the typical snowbird season when all of Florida heads back north and what seemed like most of the 18 wheeler fleet of the east coast occupying both lanes as we cruised at 70-75 mph through the fog covered mountains. A real treat!!!!!!

Duane, thanks again.

Larry

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Factory Tour

You're welcome Larry.. Glad to set that up for you. Its quite an operation there, isn't it? Very unpretentious, no marble columns and granite entrances, yet you get the sense that everyone there puts a little of themselves into the furniture they build. Did you meet the guy who stuffs the cushions cores into every casing? He has arms like Popeye....and even takes great pride in showing you how to do it the RIGHT way! I'm always amazed at how the brass nail people work...I don't know how they do that one at a time...nail-nail-nail ... and they work so fast at it. No fancy air-gun, just a small hammer and good eyes. I think once you take a tour of H&M, you're pretty much sold on their product - I know I was.

I called up Bradington Young not too long ago and asked if I could have a dealer tour of their build operation and was told "No, we don't do that for insurance reasons". That's more of what you run into than the family feel you get at H&M.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.