Thread: Made In China - Lets take it apart

Threaded View

Default Made In China - Lets take it apart

Here's a topic everyone is interested in.

I've done my own little photographic essay for YOU, the forum reader, to made a judgement for yourself as to whether all is substance or just heresay? Is furniture really that bad that comes from China or is it just hoopla for the USA-makers to beat drums about in order to separate you from your hard earned cash?

Some disclaimers first.

* I only sell USA-made furniture in my store. Yes, it costs more for two reasons. First of all, we don't expect - or really want - our fellow Americans to work for .75 an hour. Two, American manufacturers have pride in workmanship and use better quality materials. I am biased towards MADE IN THE USA.

* I do not know the distributor/brand of this piece. The Customer who gave me this told me he paid $ 399 for it.

* I realize not everyone can afford properly made furniture in their budget. You must decide for yourself what you can comfortably spend and what you expect from a piece.

Now,onto the fun. First, a little background......

This piece was given to me to dispose of by a customer who replaced it with a Hancock and Moore piece, the # 088 Drake Bench which he uses at the foot of his King-sized bed to put his socks and shoes on and he might sit there to watch TV for a bit as well. He's a big man, and is probably 6' 1" and 220lb. This made-In-China piece was two-years-old he told me, and he says while it looks OK, it sits terrible and he feels he is going to fall through to the floor when sitting on it.

Normally, on pieces that don't look too bad I donate to New Hope Housing in Alexandria VA, and I drop them off on the way back to the store. They help homeless people get going again and always need furniture for the homes. This was a candidate for that, as it presents itself pretty well, but I decided it was time to cut up one of these Chinese pieces as an educational endeavor, so this is one they don't get.

Now, on to the dis-assembly, lets see whats inside.

First a photo of the H&M piece that replaced it (in the red leather), and the China-made bench as I got it, with the makers tag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DrakeBest.jpg 
Views:	5692 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	2290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before1.jpg 
Views:	5359 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	2291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before2.jpg 
Views:	5335 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	2293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MadeinChina.jpg 
Views:	5367 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	2292
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-26-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.