Thread: H&M Austin Tilt Back 2038/2032 Comparison

tharrison Guest

Default H&M Austin Tilt Back 2038/2032 Comparison

I am looking at the Austin Tilt Chair and hoping that someone could confirm some dimensions for me. I have seen the 2038NB Austin High Back, but I'm also considering the smaller 2032NB Austin which I have not seen. H&M's spec book lists the dimensions as:

2038NB
    H41" W35.5" D44"
    Inside W21" D21"
    Seat Height 20.5"

2032NB
    H35" W34" D40"
    Inside W22" D21"
    Seat Height 20"

Though the 2038NB is wider and deeper overall, it indicates that inside seat dimension of the smaller 2032NB is an inch wider (22" vs 21"). Can anyone confirm this to be true? It doesn't seem logical that if the outside dimension of the 2038NB is 1.5" wider that the inside seat dimension would be 1" narrower. I suppose the arm construction could be slightly different, resulting in a thicker arm on the 2038NB, and H&M does indicate that dimensions are approximate.

My wife was born with knees that are closer to the ground than the average person's (she is shorth), so she prefers a chair that has a lower seat height. Based upon the specs it seems the 2032NB might be slightly more comfortable for her given the lower seat height listed. I just found it odd that the inside seat width was also an inch wider on the smaller chair.

Default Re: H&M Austin Tilt Back 2038/2032 Comparison

Did you consider that most of the time her feet will be on the hassock. Providing you also get that piece. Another thing to consider is the seat cushion. We have the high back and found the extra full seat to be too firm, we now have the standard cushion but are considering getting the down cushion for still more comfort.

tharrison, Welcome to our little community. I am sure you will have some feedback from Duane our "fearless leader" when he gets back from a trip to the High Point Spring Market. He will be a bit busy so you may not hear from him for a couple of days. In the meantime others may chime in and respond to your post. It would be beneficial to better define "short" (if your wife does not mind) and also include your height. Both chairs are great and many believe the larger 2038NB is the most comfortable chair H&M makes. I have tried both and only sense a difference in the overall back height. The other item you should realize is you wife will probably have her feet/legs on the ottoman and not the floor anyways. If she plans to only place here feet on the floor then you probably are wasting the benefits of the tilt back feature as no one is comfortable tilting the back and dangling their legs.

In any event both are great chairs.

Larry

Measurements on upholstery are notoriously fickle, and on hand-made pieces like H&M there is a +/- 2" tolerance variable, which explains why there is the confusion on seat dimensions. The High Back (2038) it noticeably larger that the Standard (2032). The do share a common ottoman, the 8131. I tend to put anyone 5' 7" and taller in the 2038, an folks under that height to the smaller 2032. It someone too short sits in the 2038 High Back, Their shoulders go into the bustle 'crack' and the top bustle pushes their head forward making for an uncomfortable sit.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Another thing I forgot to mention, the firmer the seat cushion the higher you sit in the chair.

tharrison Guest

Thank you all for your responses. My wife is 5', so it sounds like the smaller 2032 would be a more comfortable fit for her. Thanks!

SofaInSF Guest

I'd like to piggyback on this thread and ask a clarifying question on the +/- 2" tolerance variable.

I am considering the larger City Sofa 9844 which has an overall depth of 41" and inside depth of 23". We sat in the regular City Sofa 9840, but that sofa just felt a tad small with a depth of 38" and inside depth of 20.5". Could this 2" tolerance variance impact the inside depth of the larger City?

Worried...and still playing around with Duane's leather swatches....