Thread: A small emergency

Default A small emergency

My mother (84 years old) had chest pains today and was taken to the hospital where they are holding her for observation and cardio workup. My father has Alzheimer's and can't cope with what is happening and is terribly confused & agitated, so right now I am not able to be in the store or reply promptly to questions and quotes. If you call the store tomorrow you will likely get the phone recorder. Sorry.

Bear with me, I'll catch up as soon as I can.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

harland Guest

Default Re: A small emergency

Wow... I hope everything turns out ok.

Monique Guest

So sorry. Keeping you all in my prayers.

wintersummer Guest

Duane - Just a short note to let you know we are thinking of you and your mother and father. I know this is a stressful situation, for all of you.

SofaInSF Guest

Hi Duane - Take care of your parents...and take care of yourself too.

Everyone is fine, thank you all for your concerns.

My father with his Alzheimer's was MUCH more of a handful than I expected. Mom had lots of good care in the hospital and is back home now but my caring for my father for the past 48 hours was exhausting. He was terribly confused and would not sleep at all with my mother out of their house - not for one minute so I was literally on 24 hour duty with him. Coupled with my 20-hour Market Day on Sunday, I hit the wall last night and crashed early. Back at work today in the store, but we had a truckload of JL Treharn arrive today for floor stock as well as a few H&M pieces, so myself and one of my delivery guys are unpacking and re-arranging the floor for the day.

I will get to the emails and PM's as soon as I can, but there are quite a few so bear with me - I will be able to catch up in by Friday Morning. Thanks for your patience!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hello Duane,
    So glad that everything is fine with your mother. Having gone through something similar with my mother who died at almost 97 in 2005, I understand completely about your Dad's confusion. Hang in there but be sure that you and your mother take good care of yourselves. It's rather like the oxygen on an airplane; you have to put the mask on yourself first before you're able to help anyone else. We'll keep praying for all of you!

Monique Guest

Good news that your Mom is back home.

My family and Mom are dealing with my Dad's Alzheimers. Even though he is in Hospice care at home, Mom is really in worse shape than he is because of all of the physical demands and mental anguish. You are right, it is 24/7 and no let up. We've finally gotten Mom to accept more help in bec. it is taking a toll on everyone. Dad is just frantic when Mom leaves for even an hour like to get her hair done.... so sad for both of them.

I like the oxygen mass illustration! Very good advice.

Giesela Guest

Glad you got your Mom to accept more help. They will both be more healthy for it. Best wishes for you all.

wintersummer Guest

Duane - I'm so happy to see your post and to hear things are getting somewhat back to normal. I think when we encounter challenging health situations, our definition of normal changes.

I know you are exhausted. As others have said, please continue to take care of yourself. I've missed your posts here on the board and am looking forward to your market photos.

Just like Monique, I'm on my journey for a sofa, so I'm not going anywhere! I'm quite enjoying this forum you've set up and am learning a lot. However, after hearing about your challenges with family and personal illnesses (along with posts from others), it makes our furniture dilemmas seem like nothing!