Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a sofa without sitting on it?

Brenda O Guest

Default Buying a sofa without sitting on it?

I love the possibility of being able to buy a quality H&M sofa at a reasonable price - less than I would pay retail in CA. But I'd like to know how risky it is to do this without actually sitting in the sofa. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, there is no furniture store that has more than one or two quality leather sofas on display. Has anyone else grappled with this and figured out a solution? I'm thinking that if one stays with the more traditional styles - there is less risk. But if one wants to consider more transitional styles... a little less bulky? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Buying a sofa without sitting on it?

I just came back from the High Point Market and the H&M showroom. I sat in every sofa there (about 100) and can honestly say that there was not a single one that I was displeased with. There were, however, two chairs that I didn't care for the way they sat. At this level of product, they are pretty careful about what they make and how it sits, and you tend to find that in most premium product. When I ship product long distance, that's probably the only thing I rarely hear as a complaint - comfort of the sitting area. 95% are happy with their long distance purchases, and of the remaining 5% the leading dissatisfaction compliant is that the color or feel of the leather didn't turn out like they expected it would. After that, the overall size of the piece. A few folks want their cushions firmer, or softer than they ordered and sometimes we can adjust that for them. I personally like selling H&M long distance as there are FAR less fewer surprises when the end user takes delivery of it vs. some of the other makers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Brenda O Guest

This information is super helpful! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

lovenicefurnitre Guest

I would never never buy a sofa without sitting on one especially for the $$ of Hancock & Moore. Though I almost did recently due to the same problem that Brenda O was saying that furniture stores in the area do not show more than a couple of styles and it seems that all of the stores seem to show the same styles on the floor????? So in my frustration I almost invested $3500 in a sofa from Hancock & Moore (I was buying 2 sofas so $7000) without sitting on it. At the last minute my husband and I drove over 4 hours one way to go see the sofa I was going to buy on a leap of faith. I sat on it and in 2 minutes I knew no way. I would have been so unhappy with that purchase. As a consumer you have to educate yourself and make sure that what you are buying you are going to be happy with especially when I am talking serious money as Hancock & Moore is. I do agree with Duane that the quality is good just like Haagen-Dazs ice cream is good quality, but not all flavors suit everyone thats why there are choices. Different sofas sit differently and if you have a particular sofa feel and sit you are looking for it would be foolish not to sit in before purchase. I did however purchase 2 Hancock & Moore sofas, a different style than the one I originally was looking at. I am so glad that we took the trip to see the sofas.

Yes, we dealers tend to always floor promotional models, because it allows us to buy them right and put the kind of price tags on that customers want to see. I never buy a floor model that's not on deal....never. So you are going to see the same frames in each dealership because we ALL think like that! Let's face it, do you as the customer want to come in and see the $ 2,999 H&M sofa or the one that's $ 4,999? Now, I try to spice it up with new intros available from Market, but otherwise the floor models will be ones that I can buy in some manner at a discount. Truth be told I'd love to have a store big enough (and have enough cash!) to show every model from my favorite makers. I show close to 30 H&M frames on the floor, but there are 1,400 in the line...

If you want to try a sofa out before buying, and are willing to make a trip to the factory, it can always be arranged for you to go when the model you are interested in is coming off the production line. I have a lot of East Coast customers that will do that. And you get a great factory tour to boot.
    Duane Collie

Aeron Guest

Hi, Duane. I'm a new member to the forum, and like everyone else here, I'm so appreciative of the information you share - including your own story! My husband wants to try the new power reclining option when we buy a new sofa and loveseat. Some people seem to love them, but others insist the mechanisms don't hold up more than a couple of years. Can you please give your thoughts on how to evaluate motion furniture before purchase? Do you think the service plans pushed for them are worth the money? Thanks for your much-needed help.

There's a difference between the mechanism and the power unit. I've only ever replaced one power unit (and they are costly) and that failed on a new item after 21 days. Never had to do one otherwise. Now the recliner mechanisms are held together at the pivot points with pressed rivets, riding atop a nylon washer. When used properly, they seem to do alright over time. I'd say that 75% of mechanism replacements are due to mis-use and stressing the unit for what it wasn't designed for. Examples:

* Kids piling into the seat and playing in the unit
    * Sitting on the footrest when its extended
    * Moving the unit from room to room with the mechanism extended.

Certainly they can go bad, but what can't in a home? Current replacement cost of a mechanism among various makers is $ 200 plus an hour's labor at an upholstery store.
    Good luck!
    Duane Collie

If you are concerned about the comfort of the seat, then I think you should travel to find one to try - make it an adventure! You could come to DC for the weekend, see Duane, and see White House all in one weekend. That's an adventure.

I purchased a H&M sofa without ever seeing it in person. Ordered it from Duane and when it arrived I was thrilled. Sits great. It is very hard to find most H&M sofas local. Most stores stick with a couple of models around here. Glad I took the chance.

Brenda O Guest

I would love to know what style of sofa you purchased. I'm trying to narrow down the choices. I'm okay with taking a limited risk in order to get the quality I want at a price I can afford.