Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Davinci Sofa question

bigbluemonkie Guest

Default Davinci Sofa question

I'm from Houston, TX and my wife and I have been shopping around for a leather living room set. We decided to look on craigslist and bumped into an ad that had a Devinci Sofa brand living room set for $2250 which was used to stage a house that went for sale. I did go see them in person and saw the tag on the ottoman which did state that was 100% Italian leather. I was given a choice of getting the one that was out in the lobby or another set (same set) that was still in bubble wrap for the same price. I did leave a $100 deposit so they could hold the wrapped set for me.

I will pay the remaining $2150 on Friday but before I do I wanted to see if I can get any advice on Devinci Sofa furniture. I did email the sales department from Devinci and they did confirm that the company Im thinking about buying from DID purchase the Sante Fe living room set from them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Mario

Matthew Guest

Default Re: Davinci Sofa question

I live in Texas and have seen the same (or similar) craigslist ads. Not that it particularly matters, but the "stage a house" part is probably a lie. They've been advertising those sets for as long as I can remember. At one point, I dug around at the people selling them and they had a whole warehouse full of the things. I basically concluded that they're essentially just dealers for Davinci.

Given the price point for multiple pieces, I wouldn't expect that the quality is anything great (and I find it comical that their website tries to say that pirelli webbing is superior to 8-way hand tied), but they also aren't overpriced compared to what you'd get at the lower end furniture stores.

bigbluemonkie Guest

What I did forgot to mention is that the website has the 4 piece for about $7000 and he is listing it for $2250.

Ktjett Guest

Hi - did you end up buying this set? I found a similar ad here in Austin & I'm curious about what you think of it. I went to see the set and it seems really nice....

leslies Guest

Hi!
    Just found this thread. I am in the Chicago area and found this same set. After going to see it, I checked online and found this forum. I am debating now whether or not to get this set. It seems nice enough, but I am wondering about the background story, and if they lied about that, what else are they lying about?
    Did you end up getting it, and if so, what do you think about it?
    Thanks!

Here is some news about Davinci hot off the presses from Furniture Today, the primary trade publication for the furniture industry.

Chinese retailer's ‘Italian' furniture allegedly made in China
    Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, July 12, 2011

SHANGHAI, China — Chinese authorities are investigating allegations that Shanghai retailer DaVinci Furniture Ltd. sold what it claimed to be Italian-made furniture that actually was produced in China.

Chinese TV station CCTV reported that products the company said were imported from Italy were produced at a plant in Dongguan, China. The news report also claimed that the products were made with resin and fiberboard rather than solid wood as DaVinci originally advertised.

The retailer denied the allegations and said all the Italian brands it sold had been produced in Italy, the website English.Eastday.com reported.

However, Chinese authorities, including the Shanghai Commission of Consumers' Rights and Interests Protection and the Shanghai Industrial and Commercial Administrative Bureau are investigating the claims.

If the claims are found to be true, the company could lose its business license and pay refunds to consumers who were misled by false claims.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

Nice! Can't say I'm surprised.

Usually you get what you pay for in most things....a 'set' for $ 2,250 just screams cheap Chinese to me....if someone wants to bring a DaVinici sofa by, I'll get my knife and Sawzall out and we'll cut one open with the video camera rolling , see what's inside.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Latest update on DaVinci -

Chinese officials say DaVinci's ‘Italian' furniture made in China
    But company CEO says it was produced in Italy

Thomas Russell -- Furniture Today, July 14, 2011
    SHANGHAI, China — China customs agency officials say that furniture that retailer DaVinci Furniture said was imported from Italy was actually made in China and later stocked in a bonded warehouse to be able to claim status as an imported product, according to news reports on English.Eastday.com and ChinaDaily.com.
    The report came several days after news broke on China Central TV reported a claim that furniture DaVinci said was made in Italy was made in China. The station also said customers were upset with DaVinci after buying furniture they thought was solid wood, but actually was made with particleboard.

The issue has arisen largely due to DaVinci's reputation for selling quality, higher end furniture made overseas, reports said.

China Daily reported that DaVinci general manager Panzhuang Xiuhua said at a press conference Thursday that the furniture in question was indeed made in Italy. However, she added that certain furniture with American names sold in its stores was made in Vietnam, the Philippines, India, Indonesia and China.

At the press conference, a tearful company CEO Doris Phua also said that the Italian brands it sold were produced in Italy, China news source Eastday.com reported. She also accused a Chinese manufacturer mentioned in the CCTV report of copying DaVinci's designs.

Eastday.com said the Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau found that the furniture DaVinci said was imported was made in China and shipped to a bonded zone before it was stored in a Shanghai warehouse. Products that are transported to a bonded zone for at least one day are said to be imported rather than domestic, a bureau official told Eastday.com.

Chinese authorities continue to investigate the matter for possible violations of consumers' interests, China Daily said.

Latest update --

Chinese retailer DaVinci ordered to stop selling Italian brand
    Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, July 18, 2011
    SHANGHAI, China — Chinese authorities ordered retailer DaVinci Furniture Ltd. to stop selling the Cappalletti brand in response to allegations of false advertising, according to online news resource CRIEnglish.com.

The site reported that the Shanghai Industrial and Commercial Administrative Bureau sealed 188 pieces of Cappalletti furniture in a warehouse in the Qinqpu district.

The order came in response to the company's claims it was selling furniture it said was Italian-made, which was found to be made in China. Furniture advertised as solid wood furniture also was found to be made with either melamine or high density fiberboards.

CRI reported that the Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau found that some furniture DaVinci advertised as imported was made in China.

The agency said that the store also was selling a line advertised as U.S.-brand called Hollywood Homes. However, the agency could not find such a brand in the U.S. or online.

Online resource Eastday.com also reported that a quality control agency found it to be too expensive to test DaVinci's products, saying they would have exhausted their budgets trying to purchase the high end goods.

For those who still care --

Chinese retailer DaVinci Furniture issues apology
    Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, July 19, 2011
    SHANGHAI, China — Chinese high-end furniture retailer DaVinci Furniture has issued a public apology related to its role in selling Chinese-made furniture marketed as made in Italy, China Daily reported.

The store also has been criticized for selling solid wood product advertised that was made with particleboard.

Citing another news source, Guangzhou Daily, the online report said that customers complained that the letter did not deal with the issue of how they could receive refunds on such items.