Thread: Fabric selection help, the look, brand and blend

Giesela Guest

Question Fabric selection help, the look, brand and blend

I've been circling around a new couch decision for several (+?) years. One issue has been finding a couch size, style etc. in a brand I liked, and then there was the fabric selection which usually ended with me leaving the store overwhelmed and just not addressing the decision for 6 months or more and then starting all over again. I have a lot of trouble with decisions like this and have been cycling like this for awhile.

So here I am again. I am looking at fabrics from a reupholster where the selection is a little more limited. Part of me wants to go out and look at more because none is instant love, part of me knows I've had so much trouble deciding, its good my choices are limited.

I currently have two Greenhouse Fabric books that I'm trying to stay with. 1 with some chenille/tapestry fabrics with larger patterns and one with some basically solid low knap fuzzy 'chenille' fabric.

Book 405 Tapestry/chenille patterns: 79 rayon/21 Poly, medium duty, 12,000 cycle abrasion (and 70/30 for another pattern)
    Book 387 Low nap solid - 73 rayon/27 poly Heavy duty, 30,000 cycle abrasion

Decision factors:
    Durability I hate making these decisions, plus cost so I want it to last
    -I'm usually the only person on my couch but I'm on it a lot! I only have one,
    I'm older, on my own and yes, I like the idiot box.
    I fear making a wrong -hate it- fabric decision. The money is a lot for me
    and I don't want to be sorry.
    I currently have cats (ferals I took in hoping to find a home hah!) so I need to stay
    with something a little darker which is fine as I like darker, muted and feel it will
    look nicer longer.

My couch is currently a 3 cushion (2 are T or L cushions with a square middle) small rolled arm, semi attached back, skirt. Exactly like the Taylor King Cotswald near as I can tell. I am thinking of switching to 2 cushions.
    http://www.taylorking.com/details.ph...g&protype=SOFA

Currently I have a tapestry type fabric on it with a medallion pattern. I like it fine but its sort of intimidating to choose something with a lot of patter and color from a 8x8 or smaller swatch.

So...
    1) what do you think of the rayon/poly in those proportions?
    2) solid vs. pattern, will a solid show more wear? dirt/hair?
    3) anyone know about Greenhouse? Fabrics are made in China...

Just FYI - having gone to the upholsters and coming here for help - I saw a link to TK in one of the threads and low and behold, here today I found my couch. Part of the reupholster decision was I couldn't find a couch in the same size/dimensions which I really like. So now once again I start thinking, Maybe I should buy - but a TK dealer is an hour away so....I need to break this cycle! My couch is a circa early 90s Pennsylvania House. Nothing too special I suppose but ok quality I hope to consider for reupholstery.
    The ballpark quote I got was for around 2,000. That is supposed to include replacing my spring, down cushions with like material, basically a rebuild.
    Should I re-evaluate the TK? Is it in that price range with a cushion upgrade, higher cost fabric, (inevitable isn't it, to like the most expensive)

Thank you,

Giesela

Default Re: Fabric selection help, the look, brand and blend

Fabric selection is like the search for The Holy Grail. it can go on FOREVER. There's lots out there. Lots.

12K rub? That's light duty. OK for living room/reading room - might be a little tender for a family room. I like the 30K rub better.

Blends are fine in those ratios, long as they don't feel too scratchy.

Solids always show more dirt and stains. That's a given.

Before you drive an hour for Taylor King, call them and ask how many frames on on the floor. You might find none - or just one. Many dealers have the line but don't show it (I have two sofas, two recliners, a tilt back w/ottoman, two stationary chairs and a big cocktail ottoman on my floor in TK).

Personally I wouldn't spend a dime to recover a PA house piece. Donate it and get a tax write off! While you can't buy many TK's for $ 2K, there are a few in the line at that price.

\\\\
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-09-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Giesela Guest

You mean you wouldn't spend a dime right? IDK, its pre-China so I figure its as good as present day Taylor King since it would be about the same price point and I figure anything made earlier than now probably has better lumber etc. than that price point now.

I'm pretty attached to the size. Everytime I measure its a little different but btw 80 and 82 long but arms aren't that wide so its 70 inside which makes it a good guest sleeper. Its not too deep either which is important in my somewhat narrow living room. I do not want to go any longer, its almost too long now.

I will call some stores and see what they have on the floor.

Actually I don't agree with the old 'They don't make 'em like they used to' argument. Old furniture is just that - old furniture.

When you work with a classic piece of old upholstery, you tear everything off and toss it and save only the frame. The only reason to save the frame is because its unique or highly crafted. On old furniture, the webbing may be shot, most certainly the cushions and stuffings are. Strings need to be re-tired, so in essence you have to gut the entire thing and rebuild it. Worth doing if the frame is exceptional, otherwise...not so much. By the time you hire someone to do it properly, it will be more costly than buying new as a single re-upholsterer doesn't have patterns to use or volume buying for his parts.

I never re-upholster my own personal furniture. After 20 + years of use, too much of the interior components are compromised and new is a better value. Reupholstery only works as a cost/benefit kind of thing if you are only changing the exterior cover on a relatively young piece and all the interior components are strong and intact.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.