Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on counter height dining tables?

AZJoe Guest

Default Any thoughts on counter height dining tables?

I am still on the search for a dining table. I am thinking about going with a "counter height" table. Does anyone have any negative experience with going counter height?

The "nook" where the table will go, is fairly close to the kitchen counters, so I thought doing something counter height may look best.

Default Re: Any thoughts on counter height dining tables?

Something like this?

http://www.mackenziedow.com/Product.aspx?productid=220

Made in West Virginia, has a unique feature where it has (4) folding segments to make the round table into a square. Done in solid cherry
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Something like this?

http://www.mackenziedow.com/Product.aspx?productid=220

Made in West Virginia, has a unique feature where it has (4) folding segments to make the round table into a square. Done in solid cherry
    Kind of. Looking for a bit bigger.. Can you PM me a price on this one, with solid top?
    http://www.mackenziedow.com/Product.aspx?productid=36

Any other nice table manufracturer you sell? I am not dead set on round/pedestal, or counter height. I just want a nice, high quality table, maybe in a more "transitional" style.

The 2 companies I am looking at now are Canadel, and Saloom, but if I could find something from you, I would be A-OK with that. Might as well fill up an entire shipping container, no? lol
    Last edited by AZJoe; 04-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.

That larger one is standard table height, not a bar stool height. They tend to get wobbly if made to counter height size.

I'll PM prices in the morning when I get back to the store..
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That larger one is standard table height, not a bar stool height. They tend to get wobbly if made to counter height size.

I'll PM prices in the morning when I get back to the store..
    Yea, dining height is fine too.. I am not dead set on anything. I was just considering the counter height, and curious if people find them annoying or not.

Ill keep an eye out for it.

bubbaonline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Yea, dining height is fine too.. I am not dead set on anything. I was just considering the counter height, and curious if people find them annoying or not.

Ill keep an eye out for it.
    Getting on and off counter stools may be an issue, if you are shorter... I'm not short, but personally, I'd find that a pain...

I don't mind sitting on a bar stool at a bar... but, sitting on a barstool at a high table for dinner is kind of a pain. (realizing that barstools are higher than counter stools). If you can't put your feet on the floor to shift your chair back, when getting up.... that's an issue.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    Getting on and off counter stools may be an issue, if you are shorter... I'm not short, but personally, I'd find that a pain...

I don't mind sitting on a bar stool at a bar... but, sitting on a barstool at a high table for dinner is kind of a pain. (realizing that barstools are higher than counter stools). If you can't put your feet on the floor to shift your chair back, when getting up.... that's an issue.
    Thanks for the insight. I do like the look of counter height, but maybe would be better off with a standard height.

Right now I suppose it just comes down to finding the right table. I really didn't think it would be this difficult to find something I like.

Monique Guest

The counter top tables are really popular now with young people. A daughter has one in her living area behind her couch...great for watching football when there's a larger crowd..some on sofa and some on the bar stools behind sofa.

For everyday use, if children, babies, or older people are ever going to be in the picture, counter top tables are a no-go.

A regular height table in a kitchen is great for when you're mixing something in a bowl....lets you extend your arms instead of having the bowl at waist height on the regular counter. I'm always mixing or rolling out on the table.

The edge of our regular height kitchen table is only three feet from the end of the island. We use a round table with 4 arm chairs. (Arm chairs are a little harder to negotiate around the table but really great for getting out of as you get older and for relaxing after a meal.) We catty-cornered the chairs so that they do not line up with the island. Looks good.

For a regular dining area, I prefer a regular height table and chairs. Now if you are going to be using it more in a bar type area/rec room the extra height would probably work in that area.

AZJoe Guest

Well it is just my wife and I here, and we ALWAYS eat at the island. The table is more for when we have people over, however it isn't in a dedicated "dining room" and is more casual. There is view of the TV/living room from where the dining table will go, so I am sure people will sit there, and eat/drink/watch TV when I have get to-gethers.