Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on counter height dining tables?

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: Any thoughts on counter height dining tables?

I wanted to update this. I got a call last week that the table was in, which caught me by surprise as we weren't expecting it for another month or so. They dropped it off yesterday. All in all I am happy with it. The table seems to be very solid, as do the chairs. No wobble, or anything like that. Build quality over all seems good, however I am by no means an expert. There are a couple places where I notice some variation in the stain(light areas), but I am unsure if this is normal, or something that needs to be addressed. It also seems to be on once chair and not the table.

Here are some pics. The color/white balance is all jacked up since it was nighttime and the lights really take a toll on that sort of thing. The fabric on the chairs is like a micro suede, that is a creamy/sandy color.

Looks good to me and I like the pedestal. I can tell the camera variation with light/color balance in the photos but couldn't see the stain variations. As for the stain variations I noticed that on my Canadel chairs also, though that doesn't mean it's normal by any rate. Also though yours may be less/more so than mine I don't know. I like the table and fabric you picked!

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
    Looks good to me and I like the pedestal. I can tell the camera variation with light/color balance in the photos but couldn't see the stain variations. As for the stain variations I noticed that on my Canadel chairs also, though that doesn't mean it's normal by any rate. Also though yours may be less/more so than mine I don't know. I like the table and fabric you picked!
    Thanks! I may take 2 chairs outside in the ambient light, and get some detail shots. It is really just on one chair, so it may just be how the wood accepts the stain, but I am not sure as I don't really know much about furniture at this point.

Once my sectional gets here, we can begin to add some accents, and accessories. I can't wait until this is all over..haha

I can have the store come out and look at it, and if it is indeed not right, maybe they will sell me the chair at a reduced cost, and I will add 2 more.

IIRC the table is 42 x 66 and extends to 86" with one 20" leaf, that self stores.

mfabian Guest

I like the set also but cant see any variations.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mfabian View Post
    I like the set also but cant see any variations.
    It is really only on that chair towards the rear wall(straight ahead). On the verticle slats if you look close at the following pic, you might be able to make it out.. Also on the support running horizontal that the bottom of those slats between them, seems to be a little light.

Don't get me wrong, it is nothing that is "OH NO!" but it is something I am curious about.

bubbaonline Guest

My new set has more of an amber stain, a lot less red than yours... And, it is a "semi-distressed" finish... and, all wood, including the seats...

If I had to rate the stain variation, I'd put it at a 6 or 7 out of 10... Just a very organic, hand-crafted look, is the best way I can describe it.. rub marks on the corners, etc...

Probably having fabric seats on your set accentuates that effect in contrast to the wood... We like ours this way..

Oh yeah.... got a new rug for underneath.... I'll have to take new pictures

Wood is a natural product, and can - and will take stains differently depending on the sap in the piece used, or sometimes its a bit of glue left behind and that will lighted a finish. Aniline stains will show pitch and dye variances much more so than pigmented stains (same as in leather). The only want to have 100 % consistency in a finish is to paint it on. Most modern factory made pieces do use opaque finishes to cover up wood variances, and that's what I think you have on those pieces, but they don't try to color it completely, just 80% or so.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Spotlightindy Guest

We currently did a remodel on our loft space in downtown Indianapolis. When it came to the kitchen and dining room, we were also trying to decide if we wanted a counter height table which would give a streamlined look or to go with a regular height table. We decided on the counter height table. We are looking at Family Leisure bar stools. Does anyone have any recommendations on bar stools? There seems to be so much variety these days that it makes it hard to choose.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    My new set has more of an amber stain, a lot less red than yours... And, it is a "semi-distressed" finish... and, all wood, including the seats...

If I had to rate the stain variation, I'd put it at a 6 or 7 out of 10... Just a very organic, hand-crafted look, is the best way I can describe it.. rub marks on the corners, etc...

Probably having fabric seats on your set accentuates that effect in contrast to the wood... We like ours this way..

Oh yeah.... got a new rug for underneath.... I'll have to take new pictures
    Post pics of the rug when you can! I still need to figure that out, as well as one for the living room.
    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Wood is a natural product, and can - and will take stains differently depending on the sap in the piece used, or sometimes its a bit of glue left behind and that will lighted a finish. Aniline stains will show pitch and dye variances much more so than pigmented stains (same as in leather). The only want to have 100 % consistency in a finish is to paint it on. Most modern factory made pieces do use opaque finishes to cover up wood variances, and that's what I think you have on those pieces, but they don't try to color it completely, just 80% or so.
    The top you can see the grain very clearly, and it looks really nice. I wish I could get a detailed pic of it, but I don't get a lot of natural light there.

Here is the chair in question.

That's just a little 'fire' in the wood as we call it. Adds interest. Plain is so boring......
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.