Thread: Best quality sofa? We're considering Henredon, Thomasville, and Drexel-Heritage

susan Guest

Default Best quality sofa? We're considering Henredon, Thomasville, and Drexel-Heritage

We have two old sofas that need replacing in our family room, and we're trying to find the best quality sofas that are way too expensive and will last a long time. We're considering the Henredon Fireside sofa, the Thomasville Westport sofa, or a Drexel-Heritage sofa.

If we got the Henredon, do you think we should upgrade to eight way hand tied, or is the sinuous coil just as good now? We want a company that will allow us to not have welting on the cushions (I don't like the feel of the welt against my legs and back). Henredon and Drexel will make it without welting, and the Westport comes without welting. We'd like to get Sensuede fabric, because it's supposed to be durable and repel pet hair (very important!). What do you think of these three sofas, and do you have any others you can recommend? I think these three are made in N.C., which is another plus.

Any suggestions or information about these sofas or sofas in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Default Re: Best quality sofa? We're considering Henredon, Thomasville, and Drexel-Heritage

I can't tell you specifics on those models, I'm not familiar with them. However the 8-way-hand-tied has always been the gold standard in the industry for the best in spring suspension and will continue to be so. Its also the most costly to make. Sinuous coils are OK, but they are to 8-ways what Hamburger is to Steak.

A lot of companies will give you a stitch closure instead of a welt trim, that's a relatively easy thing to do.

Sensuede is 100% recycled polyster fabric bonded to a polyester sheet and has a high double-rub count. Its not a backed material and comes only in solids. I don't know about repelling pet hair but that may simply be the incorrect phrase to use. Microfibers such as this are bonded to a sheet, so they won't have a warp and weft like traditional fabric. Pet hair usually get stuck in the weave of conventional fabrics (between the threads) which they won't do with this kind of material as its solid-sheeted and the fibers are bonded to it. So it cleans easily....that's the bottom line.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

susan Guest

Default Re: Best quality sofa? We're considering Henredon, Thomasville, and Drexel-Heritage

Thank you! I read some of your helpful posts on other threads, and sure enough you responded quickly and with good info. I'm not sure if repelling is the best word to describe what we want, but we want something that is smooth and the hair can't get woven into the fabric (like our couches now). Friends have told us that microfibers are great for brushing off pet hair.

What sofa brand would you recommend overall (preferably made in the USA) for durability, quality, and comfort? Is Henredon one of the best? I was told their factory has been consolidated to one place - Mt. Airy, NC. That make seemed to be really comfortable in the show room, I think partly because the back cushions went up a little higher, therefore supporting the head a little more. But we're open to other brands too.

Well, I have to tell you I am biased towards the brands I sell in my store and that's probably fairly obvious! I look at build quality, construction, price points, comfort, variety of styles and covers, and try to get a sense of how the company will handle any issues as well as delivery times, then choose the lines I want to carry. And I do have a choice! With limited floor space and memory capacity (mine), I don't want to overload - so I'm fussy about what I do sell in my stores. I don't sell Henredon though I could easily get a dealership if I wanted. No particular reason, just some of my judgement criteria just didn't click with that line. I look at furniture hard and fast at Market - and can tell in 5 minutes if its a line I want to spend a few hours in the showroom looking in-depth at the pieces.

I personally like Taylor King for upholstery of all the lines I've seen recently, and carry them in my store. It hits the marks on what I look for in quality goods. In the Kings Road and Cozy Creations grouping, the prices are right there with what you pay for mid-line product that doesn't have half the build features of TK.
    Duane Collie

susan Guest

I started reading about Taylor King, and I'm going to try to see them in person some time next week. Is Sensuede fabric an option with them, and if not, is there a microfiber that's just as strong, washable, and smooth as sensuede?

Yes, they offer a nylon microfiber that is probably a little finer/softer than Sensuede, its called NABUCK and there are probably (20) or so colorways on it.
    Duane Collie