Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explanations for Wide Price Differences in Rugs/Education about Quality?

annaatkins Guest

Default Re: Explanations for Wide Price Differences in Rugs/Education about Quality?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I'd wait until the piece is in the room at this point, and it depends on room size and shape. I tend to not buy expensive rugs to put piece on top of, as what's the point? They are covered by the upholstery..so I buy then to start in front of the furniture and fill the space (dining room rugs excepted, of course). You're going to find that with the gentle curves on the Sundance Sectional, a rectangular rug looks a bit odd in front of it. Do-able, but it will accentuate the front curve line of the sectional. There are custom rug makers that will sculpt the rug to fit the curve profile, and those are pretty sharp looking.

Not all rugs are that costly, I'm speaking mostly of handmade orientals and the like.

Great to know that you can have the rug perfectly fit the curve profile of the sectional. I have decided not to add a rug right after revamping my summer house because I really didn't find anything that would look good next to my big corner couch.

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Explanations for Wide Price Differences in Rugs/Education about Quality?

Hey Jeff from Simplicity Sofas. I just read your thread about fabric, and have picked out two fabrics for pillows. Both are silk blends, and about $100/yd.

I've put off buying them, in the hopes I can find them for cheaper. Any suggestions?

I've looked online, but the lowest price is $90/yd.

Seems excessive to me, when I just bought some silk material for drapes from Joann Fabric for about $16/yd (60% off sale on special order fabrics).

The samples of the $100/yd material are very nice, but not $100/yd nice.

I've never seen any REAL silk blends at anywhere close to $ 16 a yard, Amanda. Sometimes you get lucky and find a closeout bolt of fabric, but $ 90 to $ 100 a yard for genuine silk content is really just about the norm.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane. Seems like a lot, but the fabric is really beautiful and just what I want. I'll probably wait for the CFA's before ordering it, but I know fabrics get discontinued a lot so I should probably get it soon. I just keep hoping to find it for less, but good to know the $90-$100/yd is not unusual for a silk blend.

Pillows take very little yardage, and just do one side in the silk blend. You can easily cover two 18" pillows on the face side and the welt in 1 yard so get what you like!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

That's what I was thinking, too! And since I sew, I should be able to make them myself. If I can make silk drapes, pillows should be easy.

7. 08-09-2012