Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact finding on Action Lane sofa

drmax Guest

Default Fact finding on Action Lane sofa

I see there is much of Hancock and Moore talke here. Please don't bombard me with "the ony real furninture is Hancock and Moore". If I could afford that, I wouldn't be posting my questions/concerns here, so thank you in advance.
    While looking for a new couch, I ran across an Action Lane leather sofa, coils within seat cushions, 8 way hand tied spring system, suposed hardwood frame. I was able to inspect the cut-a-way of the frame and it was all as advertised. Under the couch there is a zipper pouch that gives access to within the frame system. I was able to peer through this opening and all was what appeared to be the real deal. From what I gather...when they state "hard wood", they mean plywood and not particle board, because even what I have seen on even the Hancock pieces...they didn't appear to be made out of solid oak or maple. The price for a 3 cushion leather couch is $1300. I'm unsure what gives, but this may be ok. Does anyone have any advice with Action Lane. (which is also Lane) Thx, DM

Default Re: Fact finding on Action Lane sofa

H&M pieces are made of solid maple hardwoods. Oak is too costly for interior frames.

Lane is made in China. If you're satisfied with it - give it a shot. You can't buy a USA-made sofa in decent leather for $ 1,300. Swing by and give us a report on how you like it at the 24 or 30 month timeframe after purchase. Everything looks good when its new. Most made-in-China leather sofas don't maintain their feel and structure over time, but as you say - its priced right for you - maybe you'll get lucky and it will work out well over time.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

drmax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    H&M pieces are made of solid maple hardwoods. Oak is too costly for interior frames.

Lane is made in China. If you're satisfied with it - give it a shot. You can't buy a USA-made sofa in decent leather for $ 1,300. Swing by and give us a report on how you like it at the 24 or 30 month timeframe after purchase. Everything looks good when its new. Most made-in-China leather sofas don't maintain their feel and structure over time, but as you say - its priced right for you - maybe you'll get lucky and it will work out well over time.
    I'm doubting the Lane as I was looking for opinions/advice. While I have you, is there anything less expensive than H&M with similar or even somewhat less quality? Thank you for your advice. I'm in Indiananpolis. I have a couch that lasted 10 yrs and seriously, would rather not have to purchase another couch in my life. I'm 46.

In leather, I would have to say perhaps a Bradington-Young. You will be closer to $2,000 to $2,300 on their promotional pieces, but that gets you USA made, and a decent product. I say that from personal experience as I have three older pieces in our media room ranging from 16 years old to 10 years old and they are still perfectly serviceable and on he original cushion cores.
    Duane Collie

drmax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    In leather, I would have to say perhaps a Bradington-Young. You will be closer to $2,000 to $2,300 on their promotional pieces, but that gets you USA made, and a decent product. I say that from personal experience as I have three older pieces in our media room ranging from 16 years old to 10 years old and they are still perfectly serviceable and on he original cushion cores.
    Thank you for this. I will see where on earth (rather Indiana) I can have a look at this.
    Do you know anything of the frame/suspension?

Surely. Springs are 8-way, frame is plywood ('engineered hardwoods'), and cushions are typically premier down, all leather (no splits) and its a decent, honest product.
    Duane Collie

bubbaonline Guest

Bradington-Young has an extensive dealer network.... You shouldn't have any trouble finding dealers in any decent sized town. Where in Indiana?

drmax Guest

Ok, so being the engineered hardwood, I guess this is "just about" as good as it gets.
    Thx folks. I'm gonna start my search and at last put closure to this issue. As I get older, I for the life of me, CANT SKIMP! My yota pickup is 16 yrs old, 189K miles and no rust. I bought it new and this is sorta what I am after in a sofa. Thank you and I'll tell 'yall wut I get. DM

DRMAX you may want to check out Smith Brothers of Berne also. Their website isn't great at locating a dealer but being from Indiana you might have a dealer or two nearby. I would say the difference between them and BY is SB has a true hardwood frame but drop in coil system (this may have changed since I bought). So possibly a better frame than BY but the coil system is not 8 way hand tied. Of course as long as the piece is built well by a reputable company with a good warranty what really matters is how it looks, comfort level and fits your budget.
    Last edited by Briant73; 01-23-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: changed some wording

drmax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
    DRMAX you may want to check out Smith Brothers of Berne also. Their website isn't great at locating a dealer but being from Indiana you might have a dealer or two nearby. I would say the difference between them and BY is SB has a true hardwood frame but drop in coil system (this may have changed since I bought). So possibly a better frame than BY but the coil system is not 8 way hand tied. Of course as long as the piece is built well by a reputable company with a good warranty what really matters is how it looks, comfort level and fits your budget.
    thank you. i'll keep this in mind.