Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching old and new pieces doesn't work in Aniline Dyed Leather

Default Matching old and new pieces doesn't work in Aniline Dyed Leather

One of my jobs as a sales consultant for folks buying leather is to advise them against doing certain things. One of the hardest things for me to convince customers to do (especially younger customers who tend to be more suspicious of a sales pitch) is to NEVER expect to get a good color match at a later date, get all your pieces at one time. I know budgets can be difficult to work within on high end leather upholstery. I hear that at least five times a week. I also hear "We'll get the sofa now and a matching recliner in about two years when we can better afford it". My standard response to that is "If you can swing it at all, try to get all your pieces together, because you will never get that match in aniline hides". Some believe me, others think I'm trying to upsell them.

I'll add another caveat to that dimension as well. As time passes by, the chance of getting a good color match decreases as well. Using the example above, if they come back to get a recliner in 6 months, they will stand a better chance of getting a better match than if they wait 6 years.

Aniline hides are dipped in color, and vat dyed. Finished or protected hides are painted. When you are painting, you can control the color much better than when you are dyeing, so I have less concern on dye lot matches with finished hides.

Now for the proof! These are photos out of my own home taken this morning. What you are looking at is a pair of # 2670 Leathercraft Sofas that are in a pure aniline leather called Hampton Roan. The original 2670 sofa we bought new 8 or 9 years ago, and we were using an old Bradington Young loveseat across from it. Well, after 20 years, the BY unit was tired and we sent it to the teen's media room in the basement and replaced with another 2670 in Hampton Roan, and used the 'flag' under the original one to send to Leathercraft for a match. I warned my wife they likely would not be the same color, and luckily neither her nor I are very particular about that sort of thing.

The new sofa arrived and the color variance is significant, even more than I expected. Some of this is due to sunlight fade on the original sofa, but most of it is simply that you can't match into Aniline leathers over time with any degree of success. No matter what ANY dealer in the trade may tell you - its not going to happen. Here's the photographic proof of the new one (arrived this week) shown in the room with the old one. Always get all your pieces at the same time in aniline dyes if color matches are critical.

P.S. For those that are curious, that's a Hancock & Moore 1044 Sadler Recliner in Kipling Whiskey that you can see in the room shot as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HamptonRoanOld.jpg 
Views:	1694 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	2537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HampRoanNew.jpg 
Views:	1684 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	2538
    Name:  Sofamatch2.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  109.2 KB
    Name:  Oldnew.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  Sofamatch1.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  99.9 KB
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-17-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Lhales Guest

Default Re: Matching old and new pieces doesn't work in Aniline Dyed Leather

Sofa still looks darn good after 8-9 years. But your point is very well made. Keep it up Duane!

SofaInSF Guest

A picture is truly worth a thousand words. Wow - what a significant difference!

organic_smallhome Guest

Wow. No kidding. But they still look great together.

On another note: How in the world do you keep that carpet so fabulously clean???

We own a Rug Doctor cleaning machine!
    Duane Collie

organic_smallhome Guest

Ah. I love the plaid drapes, too. I'm a big plaid fan. Must be the Scottish in me.

Duane,

Who makes the coffe table shown? I looked at the product lines that you carry and didn't see it. Thanks.

Jim

I had it made to my spec by John Buchanan. In solid tiger maple. We can easily make another.....
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane, please PM a price quote for the table from John Buchanan in solid Tiger Maple. Thanks.

Jim

Probably looking at about $ 1,500 +/- on that coffee table, shipping and crating additional. We can make that any size, mine is 36" square.
    Duane Collie