Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Factory Tour

slouise Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Factory Tour

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been attempting to choose a Hancock and Moore sofa there. As there are few examples of Hancock & Moore sofas in bay area stores to view and try out for comfort, I was getting frustrated. My son lives in Durham, North Carolina so I planned to visit him and, while there, drive to Alexandria to visit Duane Collie's The Keeping Room to see a broader selection. When I mentioned my plan to Duane, he suggested that he schedule a Hancock and Moore factory tour in Hickory, NC--about a 3 hour drive from Durham. It was planned for 5/12/11.

Let me tell you, while on that tour I experienced an alternate universe where graciousness reigns supreme! I felt like royalty. Jimmy Moore, the owner, conducted us on the tour of the leather factory. As we passed each person's station, we were warmly greeted by each person--and there were many!

First, we were allowed to go through about 600+ leather samples and take whatever we wished. Then we were asked which of the sofa styles we would like to see and went searching for those. Only current orders are worked on, so you are limited to seeing what is being currently manufactured. However, the popular styles are well represented, as well as many others. We were lucky enough to sit on a 9844 City Sofa--the longer, wider style in which I was interested. I also sat on the Savant, the Kodiak, and several other styles. I was able to see the leather samples on constructed sofas and chairs. The leathers often look lighter and different on the piece, so this was very helpful. I am currently wavering between Document Copper and Portfolio Claret. I have decided I need a protected leather as people eat while sitting on the sofa at my home. Otherwise, I would love the Equestrian Chestnut or Claret which are gorgeous and very appealing--but unprotected. I also discovered that I can add nailhead trim to the City Sofa--a choice I would like to make. They are willing to make all kinds of adjustments to their pieces.

While on the tour we were informed that Duane Collie and friends were riding their motorcycles down from Virginia and would arrive within the hour. We waited a few moments and were able to meet him and thank him personally for having set up such a wonderful tour.

If you are planning a leather purchase, I would definitely encourage you to take this tour so that you might make a more informed choice. As you know these pieces are an investment, so it's worth the time.

Thank you again, Duane, for your wonderful suggestion and arrangement. As soon as I return on the 20th I will make a choice and call you.

Sincerely,
    Sharon Graff
    Sunnyvale, CA

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Factory Tour

That sounds like a good time. I would love to have an opportunity to take the tour.

So after seeing a wide variety, are you leaning towards the City sofa, with addition of nailhead trim?

Wonder if my sectional was in production yet?.lol

MJM_CA Guest

Thanks for the review. Nice to give places like H&M (and the Keeping Room) the biz.

I recently ordered the September sectional in Columbia Molasses with the "S" nail trim. Leather is out of stock for 6 weeks but can't wait to get it in August! I'll post pictures.

Sharon! It was good to meet you and your husband at the factory....there's nothing quite like a Hancock & Moore tour, is there? I've been in factories all around the country building many different products, and I get the biggest kick out of the H&M tour because its so personalized. For example, Mohawk Finishing products was showing the finish department guys a new touch-up repair system they developed and were giving a demo. I said "I need to see this" and went in and pulled up a chair, invited myself to the demonstration and asked a lot of questions as well.

My two riding pals I were with were impressed with the operation as well. One of them said 'I had no idea there was this much hand-work making upholstery - I expected to see a lot of robotic machines and they're aren't any." You know the part that amazes me is the cutters. That tool that they use can take off a finger in a New York Second, and they zip through those hides so fast that all you see is a blur of motion. I don't know how they can maintain that pace 8 hours a day, but they do.

Did you happen to see this hand-painted chair on the shipping dock? Its more for Wyoming-Montana country, but the detail on it was incredible....they have a local artist that can paint anything on their furniture, he appears to be pretty good.

Name:  photo (22).jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  103.6 KB
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

slouise Guest

Hi AZJoe,

Yes, after a lot of consideration, I still prefer the comfort and looks of the City Sofa 9844 (longer, deeper of the two models) with the addition of nailhead trim on front of arms and across the bottom.

Now I am deep in consideration of the color. I am in LOVE with Equestrian Chestnut (Class 3). Jimmy Moore cut a 1 X 1 foot sample of it for me as we walked by the cutting table.(He knew that I was considering either a chestnut brown or claret red.) He had done the same with the Equestrian Claret. Both are simply gorgeous! I think that I have been seduced by their beauty and am considering them despite the fact that they are unprotected.

I have spread butter on the sample and it has not stained it so am wondering how much of a problem it would be to have it unprotected. I read on this forum somewhere that they all have some protective coating.

I hope that ordering your sectional was not as arduous a process as this has been for me--but I suspect that it was. Stores here have so little H & M stock that everything is long distance. There were a lot of sectionals in production while I was visiting so suspect yours was one of them. They only work on current orders, so unless your leather is on backorder I am sure it is in production. You did not mention what color you chose. I would be interested in knowing.

Sincerely,

slouise

Go for the Equestrian! It's a wonderful, durable Italian leather that while technically is " unprotected" in real world use you will find can stand up to all but the most harsh usage. Since you have such a large swatch that Jimmy gave you at the factory, take it into your kitchen and spread it out on the counter, then spill things on it and see what stains and what doesn't. I think with Equestrian you will discover that virtually everything you put on it short of household acids (bleach, ammonia) or motor oil will wipe right off. Use your test spill criteria in the same manner as you would lifestyle with the sofa. If you would take a bowl of buttered popcorn to the sofa, then try that on the sample. Equestrian does have a "2" serviceability rating which is equal to the protected leathers, but because its an aniline hide it will automatically be labeled "unprotected".

I have never halva customer unhappy with their purchase of Equestrian leather - I doubt you would be the first!
    Duane Collie

slouise Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Go for the Equestrian! It's a wonderful, durable Italian leather that while technically is " unprotected" in real world use you will find can stand up to all but the most harsh usage. Since you have such a large swatch that Jimmy gave you at the factory, take it into your kitchen and spread it out on the counter, then spill things on it and see what stains and what doesn't. I think with Equestrian you will discover that virtually everything you put on it short of household acids (bleach, ammonia) or motor oil will wipe right off. Use your test spill criteria in the same manner as you would lifestyle with the sofa. If you would take a bowl of buttered popcorn to the sofa, then try that on the sample. Equestrian does have a "2" serviceability rating which is equal to the protected leathers, but because its an aniline hide it will automatically be labeled "unprotected".

I have never halva customer unhappy with their purchase of Equestrian leather - I doubt you would be the first!
    Dear Duane,

Please email a quote to me on the 9844 in Equestrian. I would like to consider it as it is perfect in every way!

Thank you,

Sharon (s.graff@comcast.net)

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by slouise View Post

I hope that ordering your sectional was not as arduous a process as this has been for me--but I suspect that it was. Stores here have so little H & M stock that everything is long distance. There were a lot of sectionals in production while I was visiting so suspect yours was one of them. They only work on current orders, so unless your leather is on backorder I am sure it is in production. You did not mention what color you chose. I would be interested in knowing.

Sincerely,

slouise
    Believe me, it was a very painstaking process for me. I was very indecisive.

I ended up settling on a Sundance sectional, in Garfield Fawn gr3.

aluebcke Guest

Hey Duane,
    A question for you: I think I read somewhere that a local rep will know the dealers with the most H&M stock on their floor. But I cannot find the post.

I'd love to do the factory tour, but we've decided to remain in a 3 hour radius for furniture shopping (mostly to keep my husband happy....he hates furniture shopping, anyway).

I've called about 10 local stores, and cannot find the models I'm interested in. One person offered to meet me at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago, but I can't do that knowing I won't be buying from them (their prices are about 2x Duane's).

That leads me to my question, Duane: how do I find the local rep that can direct me to a store with a lot of H&M in stock? I just want to sit on more than 4 models (only one of which is large enough) before I make the decision.

I'm still working on the layout....I'm going to try to convince my husband to move the furniture around a bit, so I can mark the floor with cardboard and masking tape.

Sorry to be such a pest....but thanks for your help (again).

Amanda

The only way to find a local rep is to call the H&M factory at 828-495-8235 and ask for your area. They are still closed today but will re-open on Monday the 11th. Most reps will be able to steer you in the right direction towards stores with better stock levels, but they won't be very amicable if you suggest to them you may purchase long distance!
    Duane Collie