Thread: Back from the Ride: Smokey Mountains

Default Back from the Ride: Smokey Mountains

Left out Wed Afternoon, returned Sunday Afternoon. Three of us, all on BMW GS bikes. Just some highlights for ya'll:

* 1,900 miles +/-

* In and out of the rain so many times I lost count how often we went into our rain gear.

* Was cooler than we expected. We were all glad we put in cold weather gear back-ups (that's what experience teaches you to do, even though the weather says 'pack shorts and t-shirts')

* So many deer jumping across the Blue Ridge Parkway after dark we had to get off it near Smith Mountain Lake. Crazy tense waiting for them to come out of the trees and try to commit suicide on our bikes.

* The Days Inn in Bedford VA sucks.

* Bassett, VA where so much furniture was made in years past is a sad, rusting town...nearly deserted. It was depressing to see the big furniture plants shut down or barely running, the downtown ghosted out as a result of that, too.

* If you stop at Aunt Bee's BBQ in Mt. Airy NC (home of the Mayberry RFD if any of you are old enough to remember Andy Griffith's show) you can buy a Bologna Sandwich for $ 1.20 and an extra slice of cheese is 25 cents. Add an egg to any meal for 40 cents. A Toasted Cheese sandwich was just $ 1.45. Eat Cheap at Aunt Bee's.

* We stopped at Hancock & Moore for a tour. Jimmy Moore took us all over that factory (3 hours) and told us about the 800 HP King Cobra Convertible he has Carroll Shelby building for him right now. A one-off custom, Jimmy didn't even ask Carroll what it would cost, "just make it" was the agreement. Its due in any day now.

* The Smokey Mountains STILL have the best roads in America. Just fantastic. Cars - bikes - whatever you want to bring. Drive it.

* The only thing slower than a pack of Harleys going through The Dragon (US Hwy 129) is a pack of Harleys going through the Dragon in the rain. H-D should have as standard equipment automatically deploying training wheels that deploy under 8 mph so they can at least go that fast.

* We discovered what might possibly be the most beautiful fire-road on the East Coast. Coming off the Cherahola Skyway about halfway to Tellico Plains is a 30-35 mile dirt/gravel road that runs right alongside a un-named mountain river the nearly the whole way. Waterfalls, wild flowers and thousands of butterflies - more than any of us have ever seen - were along the river. Monarchs and Black Swallowtails. We cooled off in the river twice, too. We agreed, that was nearly the perfect ride that 90 minutes it took to take it. That one is marked on my GPS for a future trip. Just....beautiful, as if out of a storybook. Street bike riders will never see this, its dual-sport territory.

* People in the Carolinas are friendly. Local folks struck up a conversation with us at every fuel stop. Fun.

* We came around a sharp corner on one twisty road in Tennessee and there was the biggest wild Turkey I ever saw in my life in the middle of the road, staring at us while we stopped. He was huge, three times the size of Virginia wild turkeys. A 2-legged Great Dane, challenging us. He ambled off into the woods after a bit, in no particular hurry.

* Route 28 towards Cashier, NC and Highlands NC is another great road we discovered. First time on that one, there's a waterfall you can ride behind.....lots of turns and twists.

* We stumbled across a bike show near Asheville NC at some fairgrounds. Big KTM tent along with others and we all took a 30 minute test ride on 990 Adventures. I may be selling the GS now. The 2011 990's are big fun. Not as comfy as the GS, but huge squirt n' go factor.

* A good trip! No one got hurt, no one went down, and it was GREAT to get out of the store for a bit. Now - back to work and answer emails.

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: Back from the Ride: Smokey Mountains

Glad you enjoyed your much deserved break, and made it back safely.

Having done my fair share of riding in upstate New York, there is little that tests your nerves like riding through deer country, at night.

I am a big KTM fan. I want one of these

I wouldn't mind a 990 super-moto either but know I would get myself into trouble on something like that.

Sounds like a great trip. You missed your calling as a travel writer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterfall.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	2547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River1.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	2548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River2.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	2549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Riders3_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	2550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cabin1.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	2551

Some photos, including one of your's truly...(the bald guy!)....some off-road shots, and our cabin at Fontana Lake.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.