Thread: H&M Build time

AZJoe Guest

Default H&M Build time

Sorry if this has been covered but I searched with no answer to my question.

What is the actual build time of say the avg sofa(Journey, Sundance, etc)? I don't mean from the time you order, to the time it leaves, but actual man hours into the construction of a piece?

It seems fairly labor intensive, being everything is hand made, but can't fathom how much time exactly is invested into a piece.

I guess I was just sitting around, day dreaming, and this popped into my head..lol

Default Re: H&M Build time

Well, there are so many stations....

My guess on a Sectional would be appx. 40-50 man hours from start to finish. But that's just a guess. I know when I was there at the factory there was a King George Chair going through and I was told that the upholstery on that one because of all the tufts and angles was 8 hours alone, not including anything else but applying the cover.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Well, there are so many stations....

My guess on a Sectional would be appx. 40-50 man hours from start to finish. But that's just a guess. I know when I was there at the factory there was a King George Chair going through and I was told that the upholstery on that one because of all the tufts and angles was 8 hours alone, not including anything else but applying the cover.
    Thanks! That helps a lot, even if it is just a guess. That puts things into perspective for me.

It is amazing to see things still being done by hand in this day and age.

All the leather panels are marked by hand, using a grease pencil. There are sets of patterns for each frame and there may be close to 80 patterns to mark on a given frame. You would not believe how many welt trim strips are needed on a sofa until you see them mark them out. The patterns are glorified cardboard, and simply are together on a hanger for each frame. After marking, they are cut out by hand.

Of course I'm there and thinking "This could all be done by a water-based jet cutter system like they use at Ferrari when making car interiors" and be fully automated . Then it occurred to me by doing it by hand they can mark around the bad spots in the hide that the machine would not be able to pick up.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.