Thread: H&M Atticus leather or Ryan leather?

santoki Guest

Default H&M Atticus leather or Ryan leather?

This is my first post here, so please forgive any rookie mistakes!

We are planning to buy an H&M Metro sofa, armchair, and ottoman for our family room and are trying to decide between the Atticus Sable and Ryan Chestnut. I would love to get some sage advice from anyone who has used (or considered using) these leathers (not necessarily the same colors). Right now we are leaning toward the Atticus Sable because we love the color more, but we are wondering how it will wear (particularly since we have a toddler and Baby #2 due next month--I know unprotected leathers may be more risky, but we just love the way they feel) and how much variation there will be.

Specifically, I'd love to know:

- How do these leathers wear over time? (I know they are fairly new, so "over time" may not be very long!)
    - Any thoughts on how the Atticus and/or Ryan would look on a "sleek" style like the Metro?
    - Does anyone know the country of origin/processing for these leathers?
    - How much variation is there in the Atticus? I looked at some samples, and there seemed to be a lot of variation among the different Atticus color swatches in terms of how the leather looks/feels (i.e. how wrinkly/creased it is, degree of suppleness, etc.--particularly obvious in the Atticus Java and Chestnut colors, maybe it was just coincidence). I noticed the same differences in the photos on the H&M site and in the swatch photos posted by Duane, although not as pronounced as the ones I saw in person. I liked the relatively smoother swatches and am worried that if we order a whole sofa in it, one cushion might end up being super wrinkly while others are smooth, or the sofa and chair might look totally different, etc.
    - From handling the Atticus and Ryan samples, it seems that the Ryan might hold up better in terms of resisting stains, being less likely to show wear and tear, etc. Is this true? I don't know if this is related to the fact that the Atticus is aniline while the Ryan is semi-aniline. I recall someone in an earlier post saying that they handled an Atticus sample quite a bit and that it looked beaten up after a few weeks...we don't mind the broken-in, natural look but don't want the furniture to look old really fast!
    - I know we shouldn't pick our leather based on the exact color of the sample swatch, but the samples I saw look quite different from the photos on the H&M website and the ones posted by Duane, at least on my screen. The swatch of the Atticus Sable was a warm brown with a hint of red (vs. the brown/black photos I see on my screen), and the Ryan Chestnut swatch had a lot of red undertones to it, almost a wine color (vs. less so in the photos). Has anyone else looked at these colors in person and had the same impression?

Sorry for all the questions! I didn't realize how easy it would be to obsess over leather furniture, but I am definitely caught up in it. Given the amount of time I have spent reading through posts on this wonderful forum, rubbing leather swatches, etc., my husband is beginning to think I'm nutty! Many thanks in advance for your help....

Default Re: H&M Atticus leather or Ryan leather?

Atticus and Ryan were both introduced in the Fall 2010 Market and are remarkably similar. Both are from South America, are anilines, and have a waxy finish. Both are quite handsome with good colors.

They are too new to see how they perform over time, but 95% of leather longevity is in keeping the leather clean and out of direct sunlight.

I find both hides to be stable in color and texture from batch to batch, I don't see wide swings from one group to another. Remember that the sample swatches are made of scrap, leather that is normally thrown out - so they won't be a smooth or nicely textured as the hides you will get on the furniture itself.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

santoki Guest

Thanks, Duane! Very helpful info, and it gives me more confidence about choosing the Atticus Sable for our Metro set. Can't wait to see what the finished product will look like....

Many thanks again for your help with our purchase. You seem to have an infinite amount of knowledge (and patience for my questions!)...you definitely make us want to be return customers!

You are more than welcome!
    Duane Collie

Rafree1 Guest

Every time I look up a question regarding H and M sofas or leathers I'm lead to a link on this forum Duane!! This is an old post but, it has really helped me as we are looking at Atticus and Ryan too. Loved the Tiburon that I was sent as well but, that is a higher price point and with all the work I'm doing on my reno I might want to think about that a bit. I'm already in for nearly thirty seven thousand on this house! With two bathrooms yet to do, siding and windows. Once done this entire place will have been re done from top to bottom. And I will have a very nice home and be broke..haha.. Dear lord.

This is THE information source for all things Hancock and Moore.

Atticus and Ryan are very similar hides, and both are my top picks in GR 2 leathers.
    Duane Collie

Henry1 Guest

Hi Duane,
    The following is from an old forum post (May 2011). Now that a few years have elapsed, I am hoping that you may be able to answer the questions posed by this fellow on the forum as they are literally the same concerns/questions we have.
    As posted May 2011:
    1. “How do these leathers wear over time? (I know they are fairly new, so "over time" may not be very long!)”
    2. Are these leathers still from/processed in South America in 2014?
    Both leathers are aniline-correct?
    3. “How much variation is there in the Atticus? I looked at some samples, and there seemed to be a lot of variation among the different Atticus color swatches in terms of how the leather looks/feels (i.e. how wrinkly/creased it is, degree of suppleness, etc.--particularly obvious in the Atticus Java and Chestnut colors, maybe it was just coincidence). I noticed the same differences in the photos on the H&M site and in the swatch photos posted by Duane, although not as pronounced as the ones I saw in person. I liked the relatively smoother swatches and am worried that if we order a whole sofa in it, one cushion might end up being super wrinkly while others are smooth, or the sofa and chair might look totally different, etc.”...
    Duane, although we have not seen varied samples as he did, we have the same exact question as posted in 3 concerning variation, look/feel (i.e. how wrinkly/creased it is, degree of suppleness, etc.--).
    4. “From handling the Atticus and Ryan samples, it seems that the Ryan might hold up better in terms of resisting stains, being less likely to show wear and tear, etc. Is this true? I recall someone in an earlier post saying that they handled an Atticus sample quite a bit and that it looked beaten up after a few weeks...we don't mind the broken-in, natural look but don't want the furniture to look old really fast!”
    Again, we have the same concern.
    5. “I know we shouldn't pick our leather based on the exact color of the sample swatch, but the samples I saw look quite different from the photos on the H&M website and the ones posted by Duane, at least on my screen. The swatch of the Atticus Sable was a warm brown with a hint of red (vs. the brown/black photos I see on my screen), and the Ryan Chestnut swatch had a lot of red undertones to it, almost a wine color (vs. less so in the photos). Has anyone else looked at these colors in person and had the same impression? Again, is he right on concerning the color undertones of Ryan vs Atticus?
    Thank you for your assistance.

I can chime in here re: Atticus Sable while you wait for Duane to answer your inquiries. I took delivery of an Austin High Back Tilt Back chair and ottoman in June and it is everything that I wanted and more- just a gorgeous brown that looks feels and smells every bit as much as a GR 4 leather for a GR 2 price point. Very impressed so far and I only expect it to get even better as it ages!

1. “How do these leathers wear over time?

They do well, but will fade in direct sunlight. They will develop small stress lines and patina with use and generally look better after a few years than they do when new.

2. Are these leathers still from/processed in South America in 2014?

Yes, as far as I know.

3. Both leathers are aniline-correct?

Correct

4. How much variation is there in the Atticus?

Significant. Especially if you are looking at samples a few years old. Most pure aniline hides will vary because you are dying a cowskin rather than painting it, and the dye will accentuate the natural hide, but not make it uniform such as a finished (painted) leather will. Expect and enjoy color variances.

5. I know we shouldn't pick our leather based on the exact color of the sample swatch, but the samples I saw look quite different from the photos on the H&M website and the ones posted by Duane, at least on my screen.

It will be a frustrating experience to try to target the 'perfect' color in aniline leathers. The only way you will be successful in doing that is to buy a piece already made up off a showroom floor. You can get reasonably close on swatches, but never lock in on a color tone. To expect that level of color accuracy will surely result in a disappointment in the final product you receive and that is true for any leather from any maker in a pure aniline. You can request a CFA (cutting for approval) at time of order, but that's not even a sure-fire thing as you will be looking at an un-handled piece of leather. When the furniture is made the leather is cut, sewn, stretched, pulled and stapled, which all can change the appearance. You can even get two different shades at the seams from one panel to another on the same piece of furniture. If color accuracy is a primary goal, stay away from Pull-Up leathers (such as Atticus and Yardley, etc) and if you still want a pure aniline, look at leathers like Equestrian (GR3), Capri and Quintessence (GR 4). They are not pull-up leathers and those three series are relatively consistent from batch to batch by my eye.
    Duane Collie