Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window film to protect leather from sun

pittsburrito Guest

Default Window film to protect leather from sun

As my family prepares to buy our very first piece of leather furniture, we are trying to safeguard that it will last a long time. To that end, I am searching for knowledge, experience, and advice on window films to protect leather upholstery from sunlight. Our family room is so sunny, it has faded our light blue fabric couch in just 5 years, despite our venetian blinds--so it's certainly not the optimal place for a leather sofa, and we need some westerly sun protection.

Last week, I got an estimate from a professional window film installing company (that uses 3-M products), and it will cost $700 to put UV-reducing film on 6 windows. Doing research online, however, I have learned that putting such film onto windows voids the window warranty, as it can cause the seal to break between the insulated double panes (due to increased solar heat reflected out by the film while still coming in from the sun). I don't want to have to replace 6 windows that fail because I spent $700 putting film on them!

Please share your personal experiences with window films--which ones have been good or bad for you? Also, have you experienced window trouble during the years after such a film installation? Any recommendations, thoughts, or advice on this issue?

Many thanks,
    Pittsburrito

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: window film to protect leather from sun?

A good friend of mine is is a tinter, and we did quite a few windows at my grandparents house a few years back.. No negatives to speak of.

Also in my current house, the past owners had a few windows tinted. There are 2-3 small decorative windows where the seals have begun to move inward on 1 of them. The inspector said it is common with windows in the direct sun as these are. I have a few of the same windows on the other side, and 1 of them has also begun to do the same and it isn't even tinted.

I am pretty sure 3m offers some sort of warranty against breakage, and seal failures for xx amount of time.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 06-01-2011 at 04:38 PM.

I have tinted film windows on all my east/west/south facing windows, which are quite large. It has saved us from a lot of sun damage the past 10 years, and I would do it again without hesitation (though were I to do it again, I'd go darker). No issues with windows whatsoever.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pittsburrito Guest

What kind of film did you use (Manufacturer, film type, etc.)?
    Thanks!
    Pittsburrito

I don't recall, sorry. It was 10 years ago and I called a company called Solar Tint out of Manassas VA.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

I can tell you we used SolarGard in my grandparents house.

I have used Solargard, 3m, and LLumar in a plethora of cars with no qualms about any of them. I have also heard good things about Huper Optik, although it is pricey.

Just make sure you see some work, or reviews of the installer.

levitt11 Guest

Default Re: Window film to protect leather from sun

We have a friend whom does window tinting, and when we asked for film to tint our windows he asked us one question about our windows - look inside and if you see a white line along the edges of the double panes - do not have them tinted - as it will void the warranty - and you will take the chance of the glass bursting. We have older Anderson windows that we are slowly replacing - and the windows on the back of our house we are unable to have tinted. The only way we would be able to have the front ones tinted is to have it done at the factory when we order the windows. I would not dare to do so after the fact - and expect the window manufacture to warranty the windows.

pittsburrito Guest

So, I don't see any white lines, and I doubt they are still under warranty since I am not the original owner. Although I have read online that voided warranties is certainly a big complaint. The 3M film I have been quoted is $9-$13/sq. foot installed (depending on which film I choose). Is that normal? It seems SO high.

Pittsburrito

levitt11 Guest

Then you should be safe if you see no white line between the pieces of glass. I've never been quoted for having the windows tinted, as our friend in the business taught us how and gives us the film to do it ourselves. I know depending on the type of film used, it maybe cost prohibitive for some people; as some of the films get to be quite pricey.

Do you have any shops near you that do automotive window tinting? If so, they also do home window tinting - you might want to check with them for pricing as well. This is what our friend does, auto tinting, and he has a man who specifically goes out to do the home window tinting. You want a private auto tinting location - not a chain type place - in order to get the best pricing - and someone whom does work for major dealerships in your area. Then you know you have the correct person doing the job - as his entire reputation is on the line.

levitt11 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    I can tell you we used SolarGard in my grandparents house.

I have used Solargard, 3m, and LLumar in a plethora of cars with no qualms about any of them. I have also heard good things about Huper Optik, although it is pricey.

Just make sure you see some work, or reviews of the installer.
    Any installer should be using a water system that is filtered, not once, not twice, but three times for window tinting - that goes for auto installation and/or home installation. That way nothing gets between the glass and the tinting film.