I'm a big supporter and user of Apple products, and have quite for personal use (PC's still for business). I like the way they run their company and take care of customers. Their customer service is as good as it gets.

Example:

Today I dropped my new iPad 2 on the concrete outside the store. Waist high. The glass shattered in the corner where it hit, the aluminum case dented, and fractured in three places across the screen. It still worked, but obviously with so many glass shards it was effectively unusable. The $ 829 model - trashed and I've only had it about 6 weeks.

Searched the net', there is a place in Kansas City that will put in new glass for $ 203. Well, that's what I have to do then. I'll still have the dent in the case on the corner, but what the heck. As I'm getting ready to UPS it to them, I decided to try the local Apple Store which is about 12 miles away. I will take it to the genius bar and just see what my options are. Apple will always replace for a fee most all current models. .

Apple guy looks at it, and says "This is not a warranty issue you realize?" I tell him yes, of course not, it was my clumsiness. Then he looks up the options and they will replace with a brand new unit for
$ 419, roughly half the price. Ugh! I suppose its not totally awful, but that made the $ 203 look good in Kansas City. I mention that option I have to him and say that's what I'll probably do.

He then says "We don't want you to do that - use an unauthorized Apple repair center for your iPad2, you often never get it working right again." He looks up something - not sure if its my buying record of Apple products or not - but 15 seconds later he says "Tell you what - today I'm going to give you a new unit at no charge as a courtesy." And with that he goes in the back and pulls one from stock and hands it to me new in the box. We delete all the info on my broken one and I thank him for doing that, and he tells me 'glad to do it, this is a one-time deal so you know. if you break it again, its $ 419".

How cool is that? They were absolutely not responsible for this whatsoever and replaced it free of charge. Sure as heck aren't a lot of companies like that.

Duane

P.S.

I also learned that at the end of the day you should clear all open apps from iPhones and iPads. DO NOT use the Menu/Power Button/Hold Down, that's hard on the units I was told. It 'shocks' them. Two ways to clear:
1) Double Tap the Menu Button and your open apps will appear at the bottom, then close them.
2) Hold the POWER button and slide the unit bar off. That clears all from memory.