Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Finial Style?

jerlands Guest

Default Re: Question on Finial Style?

Still like to know the age of it... I was hoping the hardware or some other aspect held a clue.

I'd have to see a whole lot more photos, and in hi-res. Back of the piece, more drawer bottom shots, etc. It looks factory made, but the handcut dovetails may say otherwise.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jerlands Guest

The dresser is actually 5 pieces... A base on which the dresser unit and two armoire's sit and the top which holds it all together. There are 5 screws in either armoire that attach them to the dresser and that's it. I noticed after removing the lower drawer what looks like machine cut notches for the dovetail and have included a photo. I don't know if you can tell anything by what I've put together and like I mentioned, I won't be able to move it until I get someone over who's a little stronger than my wife

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/jerlands/

Thanks for your time,

Jon

Thats a factory made piece, Jon. Better photos show me the dovetails are jigged, not hand-cut as I had thought from the first one. Still has slotted screws in it, however...so that means its older. Probably late 1800's to early 1900s.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jerlands Guest

Thanks for your time Duane...

That's all good info I didn't have before... and not knowing a lot about furniture quite a learning experience also. I guess the bottom line is I need the makers name somewhere from it. Not really certain where else it might be other than where I was told it was.. I think my newer furniture has the drawers stamped with the manufacturer and that's where I was hoping to find something but I guess I'm going to have to take it apart to find out for sure...

Thanks again,

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jerlands View Post
    The dresser is actually 5 pieces... A base on which the dresser unit and two armoire's sit and the top which holds it all together.
    Jon
    Hi Jon,
    Since the base and top are separate from the other pieces, is it possible the side units are reversed? It seems a bit odd to me that the mirrored doors open away from the center section.

BTW, this is the kind of furniture I love.

Julie

jerlands Guest

Quote Originally Posted by juliepooch View Post
    Hi Jon,
    Since the base and top are separate from the other pieces, is it possible the side units are reversed? It seems a bit odd to me that the mirrored doors open away from the center section.

BTW, this is the kind of furniture I love.

Julie
    We thought the same but the finish and screw holes are correct this way. The problem with this design is the outer wall of the left armoire is slightly bowed and misalignes with the latch so that it takes a slight push to catch. If it were reversed the door wouldn't have the support it needs (it's very heavy with the mirror) as there's no frame. It is a bit of an odd-ball design

Jon