Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its handmade!

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: Its handmade!

^^ This is why I like you. You tell it how it is, which may or may not be what people want to hear, but it is the truth. You have to respect that.

While we have an informative thread going, I had a few questions I was pondering.

1. One thing I notice with H&M pieces, and especially something like mine, is the tight tailoring of certain areas(back, sides, arms, etc). Do these usually stay tight over time, or do they tend to loosen up eventually, with age?

2. I am sure that the cushions are the main areas of wear. Is it done/possible for H&M to redo just cushions? For instance if in 5-7 years my cushions are showing a lot of wear, can I have them redone instead of buying a new sofa? Now I understand for this to be feasible I may have to opt for a 2 tone at that point, with a different, contrasting hide, since the odds of matching the current hide are slim to none, if it is even in the line up at that point.

And to add to that, does H&M keep a reserve of different dye lots of leather? I notice they have a tag/swatch under the cushions, I figured maybe this was in case their was a warranty issue, and something needed replacing, they come out of the reserve, in order to match it.

HA! Well, information is no good if its biased or slanted, and folks see through it pretty quickly. I may be wrong from time to time (I'm still learning, too!) but I'm never dishonest nor will I lead someone down the primrose path for a sale. Honesty has been at the core of my store since its inception.

Yes, pieces are stiff when new, they will DEFINITELY break in. Takes about 6 weeks of daily use before they really begin to relax a little and get comfortable. I have a lot of customers that contact me a day or two after a new piece arrives and comment that its too stiff and they want to order extra cost down cushion cores. I always advise them to not rush into the expensive of a second set of cores, but to use the piece and call back in 6 weeks if they still think it too firm.

Yes, H&M can re-do a cushion cover, either refinish it or make a new one. But in reality if you keep it clean and conditioned, you'll never need to do either. The only time I ever see cushion cover degradation even on older pieces is when the customer uses an incompatible leather treatment product not designed or the leather on the upholstery, or fails to clean it altogether> If you don't know what to use, just use a little (not too much!) Ivory bar soap and water. DO NOT experiment with un-approved leather care products or the 'warranty protection' things like Guardsman that unscrupulous dealers will sell to you to increase their profits. Stay with the approved care products and that leather will last and last and last.

No, there is no reserve of leathers. That would be a huge headache and massive expensive. That flag under the seat is in case you want to order a matching piece we can send it in and they will do their best to get to that color prior to production, or advise if the colors are too far off. This would not be successful with Garfield, which varies too much from batch to batch. See this post on how I tried to match a sofa for my own home recently:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...e-Dyed-Leather
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    HA! Well, information is no good if its biased or slanted, and folks see through it pretty quickly. I may be wrong from time to time (I'm still learning, too!) but I'm never dishonest nor will I lead someone down the primrose path for a sale. Honesty has been at the core of my store since its inception.

Yes, pieces are stiff when new, they will DEFINITELY break in. Takes about 6 weeks of daily use before they really begin to relax a little and get comfortable. I have a lot of customers that contact me a day or two after a new piece arrives and comment that its too stiff and they want to order extra cost down cushion cores. I always advise them to not rush into the expensive of a second set of cores, but to use the piece and call back in 6 weeks if they still think it too firm.

Yes, H&M can re-do a cushion cover, either refinish it or make a new one. But in reality if you keep it clean and conditioned, you'll never need to do either. The only time I ever see cushion cover degradation even on older pieces is when the customer uses an incompatible leather treatment product not designed or the leather on the upholstery, or fails to clean it altogether> If you don't know what to use, just use a little (not too much!) Ivory bar soap and water. DO NOT experiment with un-approved leather care products or the 'warranty protection' things like Guardsman that unscrupulous dealers will sell to you to increase their profits. Stay with the approved care products and that leather will last and last and last.

No, there is no reserve of leathers. That would be a huge headache and massive expensive. That flag under the seat is in case you want to order a matching piece we can send it in and they will do their best to get to that color prior to production, or advise if the colors are too far off. This would not be successful with Garfield, which varies too much from batch to batch. See this post on how I tried to match a sofa for my own home recently:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...e-Dyed-Leather
    with my first question I was more talking about the aesthetics. For instance the back of the Sundance is nice and tight, it looks amazing. Is this something that stands the test of time or does it loosen up and begin to look less tailored over the years? The arms are another area that looks like it takes some skill to achieve, and are wrapped to a perfect fit.

I did are that thread where you tried to match. Pretty noticeable difference.

And my cleaning will involve approved methods only. Can't argue with the manufacturer.

Saving money buying long distance was not a driving force for us. Locally, we experienced uninformed, lackluster non-career furniture salepeople who didn't know or care about their product lines. We never got far enough into the process to ever compare local apples to long distance apples. Our experiences with local salespeople drove us to the internet and we found this forum. We just happened to like the information and honesty that flowed from every post you made, Duane. That made the sale. Heck, you could have charged a ten percent premium and we probably would have paid it!

[QUOTE]
    Well, here's the truth of the matter...I always tell it like it is here on the forum, and I don't sugarcoat things.

Folks buy long distance because they are saving money. If they weren't then in most cases they would get their pieces from a local dealer.

Prices just went up 10 %.....

<g>
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Prices just went up 10 %.....

<g>
    Just for Dgw9 right? hahaha

levitt11 Guest

Well, here's the truth of the matter...I always tell it like it is here on the forum, and I don't sugarcoat things.

Folks buy long distance because they are saving money. If they weren't then in most cases they would get their pieces from a local dealer. Truthfully its not reasonable to expect the same level of service when buying long distance. I certainly can't come by a customer's home with my touch up kit like I can locally because of the hundreds of miles distance. A good dealer always 'deluxes' a piece before delivery (That's the name the industry uses, I think its a peculiar way to say 'touch up'). We go over the pieces and take care of the little things, and in the rare event there is a big thing, we don't deliver to the customer and return it to the maker. Eyes on the piece.

When you are getting delivery long distance YOU are the 'deluxer' that gets to put eyes on the piece. Yes, you are most likely going to find some nuances that you would not otherwise see if the dealer had the opportunity to go over if first. That's the payoff for saving money by buying long distance. I'm always glad to take a call and advise how to touch up something that just arrived, but I can't be there in person to do it. Nor does the industry consider these to be factory defects. My advice always has been - and always will be - for folks that demand perfection (and you know who you are!) pay the higher price and buy locally from your nearest dealer. That way you won't make yourself - or me - crazy over a small nick in the leather or wood on the base.

There are two kinds of imperfections on a new piece. Those that it left with from the factory and those put in by the delivery company. Most delivery company marks will be rub marks or splinters of wood, or water damage (leaky trailer). Try as I might to advise everyone to INSPECT FOR DELIVERY DAMAGE BEFORE SIGNING THE BILL OF LADING, almost no one does. instead they call me an hour after the delivery team has left with the document the customer signed saying all was delivered with no damage. If the delivery company marked something up, note it on the bill of lading - thats so important. And don't let the driver's tell you that if you make a notation for a slight mark, they have to take the piece back....that's a bunch of garbage. Note it and protect your rights, then decide a course of action afterwards.

If a factory mark, then you can either touch it up yourself, or document it and send the dealer photos of it. At that time it will be reviewed to determine how minor or major they might be .
    Well, we came to you not for pricing, but due to customer service and your knowledge of the line of furniture - that was first and foremost - pricing was not the objective - it was someone who knew the furniture line inside and out - which is why we made the trip down there. So I guess it is up to myself the day of delivery when they unpack each piece to go over each one carefully - before signing anything - and making note of anything that maybe amiss according to the above. I'm not completely nit-picky - but with what I'm reading - I had to ask

I also read a post a while back probably two years back on here, where someone got pricing from you - then went to their local dealer and said "hey I can get it cheaper" and that riled up their local dealer - and that gets you in hot water - we were not about to do that to you. Even though we received lousy customer service at a furniture store near us - as you said "it left a bitter taste in my mouth" - enough so to make that drive down to you. I would never have driven down there - have you shown us pieces - gotten prices - then driven home - and gone back to that furniture store and ordered there - that to me would have been a slap in your face for all the time you spent with us.

We have had car parts delivered from California, and had the delivery driver unbox them at curbside and found damage - and had them put right back on the truck to be returned - we look things over carefully when delivered - we don't sign anything until it's completely unpacked
    Last edited by levitt11; 06-16-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Yes, you definitely want to look over any pieces for damage in transit. Don't let the delivery team 'rush' you. Transit damages are limited to scratches and rub marks, and nicks or splits in wood. If you see a burl or healed scar in the leather, that's not a delivery issue, nor it a loose stitch, hammer marks, etc. If you need a bottle of touchup, just email me or call me and I can order one at no charge that you can apply to a small rub mark yourself. Its really a judgement call, because if you do sent something back, its going to make the rest of the trip on wherever that truck is headed (sometimes several days) and it will be at least three weeks minimum before it gets back. And there's a chance it can pick up more small marks on that round trip as well. So use good sense in refusing an order for minor things, but always note anything on the bill of lading that might be delivery damage. Damage rates are low, about 1 %, but they can happen.
    Duane Collie

levitt11 Guest

Here is another question for you - should we have the old furniture moved out the day prior to them delivering the new pieces? Just wondering on that factor - as I know we are going to have our rugs cleaned - and it might be worth having the old pieces moved out prior to the delivery if we have a definite date once the time comes.

I have made note of what you have said above and will refer back to this thread, as the time gets closer

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by levitt11 View Post
    Here is another question for you - should we have the old furniture moved out the day prior to them delivering the new pieces? Just wondering on that factor - as I know we are going to have our rugs cleaned - and it might be worth having the old pieces moved out prior to the delivery if we have a definite date once the time comes.

I have made note of what you have said above and will refer back to this thread, as the time gets closer
    A word of advice from me to you..

Sun Delivery's "confirmation form" states.
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT AT HOME ALL OF THESE DAYS, YOU JUST NEED TO BE AVAILABLE TO MEET OUR DRIVERS ONCE THE TRUCK ARRIVES IN YOUR AREA. WE WILL CALL YOU THE DAY PRIOR TO YOUR DELIVERY AND GIVE YOU A FOUR HOUR WINDOW FOR DELIVERY THE FOLLOWING DAY SO YOU WILL KNOW IN ADVANCE WHEN WE WILL BE AT YOUR HOME.
    Make sure someone is there all day, on the day of delivery not just between the window.

They called me the day before and scheduled it for 5-8pm, then called back 10 min later and changed it to 6-9. No big deal, I am flexible.

The morning of the delivery they called and said the driver ran into a big delay, and will not be there until between 8-9pm(pretty sure they said they would call an hour prior, but I could be wrong on this) I am fine with that, no problem.

I was going to leave around 5:30 go down the street to a friends, eat dinner, stop at an ATM get cash(never have cash these days) for the drivers gratuity, and come back by 7:00 with plenty of time for the delivery.

I am about to leave at 5:30 and there they are...

If I would have left I would have missed them.

But for me, the real issue is now I had no cash, and my car was blocked in the garage..lol

I had to give the guy a check made out to cash, which was SUPER awkward. Me being ridiculously shy, makes this situation my worst nightmare..

"ok we are all done thanks"..."umm sorry I don't have any cash, but here is a bambi check"