Thread: You know how it is when you get new furniture, you see you need something else.

Monique Guest

Default You know how it is when you get new furniture, you see you need something else.

I'm thinking out loud here and open for suggestions.

It looks like we have room for another chair in our living area. We had originally planned to only have the chair and the sofa as there is a handmade rocker which gives adequate seating for us. We see the need for at least one more comfortable chair for guests. We are older and our friends are older as well so the side chairs from the dining room I usually pull in for extra seating don't "cut it" anymore for long evenings.

I looked at the Roy Chair and Ottoman and that is an option but would like to consider an accent chair, maybe something with a high back. I like the Artists Chair and the Faulkner chair but do not know anything about how they sit. Of the two, I like the lines on the Artists Chair the best. It might not seem like a good mix in a predominately Craftsman decor but I like to mix things up to wake up the room a little.

The chair needs to fill a large space to balance the Roy Lounger on the other side of the room. There is probably room for a chair and an ottoman if the chair is not too large. I'm thinking whatever leather we get will be different from the leather on the City and the Roy Lounger..something burnished, maybe and in a lighter color but not too much lighter as I need the visual weight.

Took a look at the Dane Chair pictured on the H & M web-site. It's a good look, love the leather they used on that chair! Wonder if it will look weighty enough with the open legs on the base of the chair. It might be too much over the top and maybe a look I would tire of.

I also looked at an open arm side chair which would not take up so much visual space but I think it would fight the antique mission chairs from the dining room and the new mission chairs from the kitchen dining area. I pull in both of these for large crowds.

Anybody have any suggestions. The look of the room is Craftsman with lots of paintings and pottery.

By the way, STILL loving this sofa. Our seats were "just right" right out of the box. If they get too much softer, they will be too soft for us..starting to wonder if we should have gotten the extra firm but will wait to see....with us, "too soft" is better than "too hard." Everyone who has seen the furniture really likes it. It is absolutely perfect.

Duane, just wondering if you remember if that was an Artist Chair at the top of your steps on the left when we visited. I remember really liking that chair and the leather.
    Do you have any of the chairs I mentioned in your store now?

Hoping to get the photos soon.

mfabian Guest

Default Re: You know how it is when you get new furniture, you see you need something else.

Glad you are still enjoying your sofa.

There is a pic somewhere around here of an Artist's chair in a yummy gr 5 leather that is gorgeous. I think it is a great idea to add an accent chair that doesnt quite fit the mold.

Monique Guest

Default Re: You know how it is when you get new furniture, you see you need something else.

Thank you. Found that one! I keep coming back to it..keep forgetting it has open legs...might not be large enough visually bec. of that. It looks like all of the chairs I've considered though have higher, open legs so that is probably what the place needs. It would be great to get two but don't know if I have room enough and I usu. stay away from too much matching although..one of either side of the entertainment/book case would be gorgeous.

I guess I could consider one artist chair with a small ottoman...would be useful and help fill in the visual space.

The Artist Chair is very unique, and it sits surprisingly well. Yes, that one that was one in Plaza Honey, GR 5 was probably the finest chair ever to come through my store. WOW...is that hide impressive. And Expensive. You will pay dearly for that cover, but there is nothing else like it. There's also one that H&M did up using Lambkin and fabric in the Market Photo Section Spring 2011. It was very sharp as well.

The chair at the top of the stairs in a Summerfield in Heirloom Chestnut. I think that would be too much chair for your other pieces. The Artist is smaller and will scale better.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hglaber Guest

Poke around the Jessica Charles site too - any H&M leather you like can be put on a Jessica Charles. I like the Newton, which might work with the straight lines of Craftsman stuff. A completely non-matched room is the best place for a single pair of nice, matched pieces in my opinion.

Monique Guest

Duane, You're right about the Summerfield. Just looked it up. Had not known the name. I guess it was the leather I remembered liking so much and the tufting.

hglaber, thanks, good point about having two matching chairs in an otherwise "matchless" room. I keep wanting to put two in the room. I know two would work well when we move into the retirement apartment. Maybe I could get two matching chairs, whatever we decide on and then use one somewhere else in the house for now and then later together in the retirement apartment.

Before spending the money, I would definitely want to see an Artist Chair somewhere.

Will take a look at the Newton.