Thread: "Outside Dogs"

organic_smallhome Guest

Default "Outside Dogs"

What do you guys think about keeping a dog outside "for protection"? Up front, I have to say I'm against it. I spoke with a police officer from Cape Cod a couple of years ago and he told me that no dog should ever be left outside unattended. He said, "You know all those dogs that somehow "escaped" from their yard? Yeah, most likely stolen." He said that an increasing problem all over the country--including New England--is "yard dogs" being stolen by dog fighters to be used as "bait" in training the fighting dogs. He said that the dog fighters patrol neighborhoods looking for dogs left alone--small or big--and that living in a "good" neighborhood won't protect you or your dog.

I also found this:

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/outside_dogs.htm

Your thoughts?

levitt11 Guest

Default Re: "Outside Dogs"

Owned a Doberman, there was no way I would have ever left him outside on a regular basis unattended for exactly that reason - I did not want him stolen from us. He was also border trained to our yard, he didn't need a leash to walk him, he was that well trained. I imagine if anyone got their hands on him, he would have been a real prize to anyone; and we would have been heart broken. Though our backyard was fenced, we were able to let him out front and he wouldn't leave that front yard area, no matter what walked by him.

bubbaonline Guest

That's a sad life for a dog.. Basically, it's not a pet, any more..

mfabian Guest

I agree - dogs are social animals and the article mentions a no. of good reasons without even getting into the actual costs associated with responsible pet ownership. If "protection" is the concern, I would say get an alarm system.
    Last edited by mfabian; 06-30-2011 at 01:08 PM.

samfarkus Guest

those raggedy outside dogs are a nuisance to paper boys (i was one) mailmen and other people with legit reasons to go to your house. As far as I'm concerned I'm glad they're stolen.. those owners inevitably are cagey weirdos and drunks - i always hated collecting payment from them. If you're gonna get a dog treat it like a family member, that's what people in the old days did and they used them to warn of invading armies and everything. A dog can do things an alarm system cant, and vice versa.

The next door neighbors to my showroom own 3 pit bulls which they keep outside in a tiny enclosure and also on a short leash since they escaped once about a year ago. They bark almost 24 hours per day. I don't think they are ever walked. My bookkeeper reported them last year as a nuisance because the constant barking was driving her crazy. The police said nothing could be done, so she moved to an inside office that had better sound shielding. I really don't understand what the purpose of these dogs is but this area is known for a lot of dog fighting.

Jeff

organic_smallhome Guest

Jeff,
    Did you contact the SPCA in your area? There's probably a noise ordinance--most cities have them. Also, I don't know what the animal laws are in your state, but keeping three dogs penned together outside 24/7 in a tiny enclosure would be against the law in my state.