Thread: Please help with layout, getting new H&M furniture

aluebcke Guest

Default Please help with layout, getting new H&M furniture

Hi,
    I'd appreciate any suggestions on layout for our great room.

We mainly use the room to watch TV (no eating or drinking allowed). We also play games at the coffee table, and the kids play the PS3 on the big TV. We spend most of our time in the kitchen/great room, which are open to each other.

Right now, we have the TV on the long wall (on a new TV cabinet). I've attached some pictures.

I'm moving the old couches (15 years old, but still in great condition) to the kids play room. I've decided on new leather H&M furniture....not sure what I want yet. But, definitely either a sofa or sectional. Not sure a sectional will fit right, though.

The only items I need to stay in the room are the TV, TV cabinet, and the two side tables. The coffee table has to go...pretty beaten up. I like the sofa table, but am fine with moving it to the play room with the couches.

We plan to get either UV protection for the large windows, or blinds. I know direct sunlight can damage leather furniture....so we plan to fix this before the furniture arrives.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm pretty much open to anything.

By the way, the room is 13' tall. Layout is attached with the pictures.

Thanks,
    AmandaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	great room 2_from kitchen.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	2660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great room 1_from kitchen.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	2659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great room 3_from hall.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	2662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great room 4_looking into kitchen.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	2661

*** I can't get the Word file, with layout, to load. The room is 18" 8" wide and 16' 0" deep. If anyone can tell me how to upload a word file, that would be great. **
    Last edited by aluebcke; 06-30-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Default Re: Please help with layout, getting new H&M furniture

I'm not liking the sectional for the room as it interrupts the flow and traffic, and makes it a 'dead end' room, accessible by the fireplace walk though only. Because of the ceiling height and the TV's high mount, you can buy some pieces that carry some height in the back. A lot depends on personal preference as to style and how you want the pieces to sit and feel. I'd be inclined to go Sofa/Sofa or Sofa/Loveseat with a square or rectangular tufted ottoman in the middle of the room to replace the coffee table. Kids LOVE the ottomans for video games and will sit on the edge of them for hours on end.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Please help with layout, getting new H&M furniture

Thanks Duane. I'm in love with the Sundance sectional, but played with the layout and cannot figure out how to get it to work either. Oh well, maybe the sofa

I'll focus on the sofa/loveseat or two sofas. I think I read in one of your posts that the cost for the loveseat is usually not much less than the sofa (and sometimes more under the T&C program). My husband wants two sofas anyway.

I love your idea about the ottoman......looks very good in the post you have on the sundance sectional. And my kids are always trying to sit on our coffee table...which drives me crazy. Probably why it's so beat up.

We're going to try out some H&M sofas this weekend....but I'm having trouble finding anything other than the September, Austin, and Journey. We may have to ventur out further than I thought. By the way, which H&M sofas do you have in stock. Perhaps I can convince my husband to go on a road trip this summer (we live in Michigan).

Thanks again,
    Amanda