Thread: Masterfield, Taylor King, Wesley Hall, Massoud, Smith Brothers - sofa advice

jdaugeng Guest

Default Masterfield, Taylor King, Wesley Hall, Massoud, Smith Brothers - sofa advice

Before I jump into my questions, let me just say this is an excellent furniture forum site. In the modern era of big box stores, and price sells, this site's focus on educating the consumer is very refreshing.

About 6 weeks ago my wife and I set out to buy a fabric sofa. We thought we could find something nice at Haverty's or LaZboy for around $1000, but soon learned that would not be the case. We are not shopping for the lowest price as we tend to buy well made products that last. The sofa we currently have is a 15+ year old hand-me-down Clayton Marcus from my wife's parents. It is actually in good cosmetic condition but doesn't seem to have the support it should these days.

One brand that we have sat on at two different locally-owned stores in GA/SC and seem to keep coming back to is Masterfield. Other brands we have looked at include Taylor King, Wesley Hall, Massoud, and Smith Brothers. The store we are considering buying from seems to rank SB, TK, and Masterfield similarly, but they seem to think the Qualux cushions used by SB (also used by H&M) is more durable than the foam used in the cushions of TK and Masterfield. Both stores in our area that sell Masterfield also sell TK and both stores also have the opinion Masterfield is a better value. Both stores also tell us that Masterfield is better quality than the current Clayton Marcus sofas. I can also say that my wife and I both thought the Masterfield sofas at these stores were more comfortable than the TK's at these stores even though they were priced $100-$300 less. The sofa we seem to agree on is a Masterfield 89-59000 for $1425 + tax. The trouble is that I have not been able to find many reviews on Masterfield. Can anyone offer any advice about Masterfield or the other brands listed that are sold in our area?

Default Re: Masterfield, Taylor King, Wesley Hall, Massoud, Smith Brothers - sofa advice

You are smart to take a pass on the Haverty's and La-Z-Boy products, almost anything is better than what they offer. There are hundreds of small companies that produce upholstery in the Carolinas, and its hard to be totally familiar with all brands, and I am not at all knowledgeable in Masterfield. A quick glance at their web site at their construction shows it to be good mid-to-upper line build, however. $ 1,425 is a good price on a well-made sofa - IF it is indeed well-made. Sorry I can not be of more help....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jdaugeng Guest

Default Re: Masterfield, Taylor King, Wesley Hall, Massoud, Smith Brothers - sofa advice

DR, Thanks for taking the time to review Masterfield's website and review their construction. The reviews here and on GardenWeb have been very helpful. I have attached a picture of the sofa we are considering and wondered if you could provide any thoughts based on its tayloring/appearance (as you have done with a few other posts on your site). As the attached image shows, this small-town, locally-owned store had the Masterfield for $1558 on the showroom floor, so we were blown away when we were informed of the $1425 price for a moss green tweed Grade MC fabric....especially since the store we viewed the Masterfield's at last month were had prices of $1700-$1800. From what I have been told, Masterfield's different fabric options generally change the price less than $100, so maybe they are all C-grade fabrics?

One question I want to ask is about the firmness of the cushions. My wife and I seem to like firm cushions. I have been told that TK has 5 different firmness cushions and that Masterfield has three. I didn't get the details yet, but is the density as in 1.8 pcf, etc. or is it the padding on the top/bottom of the foam? We were told the SB Qualux cushions were 2.5 pcf but they didn't seem as firm as the 1.8 pcf on the Masterfield or TK.

What would be a good quality high-back recliner for my 5-4" tall wife? She wants something with good head support, but the only ones we have found are made by LaZboy. I am 6-3" and have a LaZboy Crandell (big man's chair) with a 46" tall back. I really like the head support and she wants something similar, but scaled down (she likes the comfort of the LaZboy Maverick with a 42" high back and the LaZboy Lancer with 41.5" tall back). I know the frame quality of the LaZboy stuff is not on par with the other brands mentioned here, but what would be well-constructed recliner brands? Again, we want a high back and are leaning toward fabric upholstery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masterfield.jpg 
Views:	3679 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	2663  

No idea how price grades run on that brand of furniture.

As to cushions tre are different types of core inserts from a maker (HR Foam, Qualux, Spring Down, Goose Down, etc) and within the HR Foam and Qualux you can often spec densities based on firmness desired. But its not all about density, the spring rates in the base can affect the overall feel as well.

I don't recommend fabric recliners, they wear out too quickly. There are several good brands of recliners on the market - The ones I carry in mynstore have constuction that I think holds up well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Aubree Guest

When transporting my Taylor King sofa home from the store, we got rear ended and the couch was directly hit by a car pretty hard. Considering it got hit by a car and the only damage was some loose upholstery and the legs coming off (all damages could easily be repaired), I'd say these couches are extremely well made. My couch was fabric and it was so comfortable that a guy fell asleep on it at the store.