Thread: Ordered Taylor King sofa and chair

bubbaonline Guest

Default Ordered Taylor King sofa and chair

First... I'd like to thank everyone for their knowledge and advice, especially Duane.

Made our 5th trip to our local high-end dealer.. Still debating leather or upholstery, etc.. Finally decided on upholstery, and the best sitting sofas in the store were all Taylor King. From this forum, I already knew the quality was top-notch.

Taylor King has two "deals" when it comes to their sofas.. One is the American Pride line, which is very nice, but has a limited fabric selection to get the low price. The other is Cozy Creations, which allows you to pick from all of the Kings Road fabrics (200 or more?), with only slight upcharges for different grades.. Either line allows you to pick legs or skirted, arm style, etc..

Cozy Creations is kind of a misnomer.... we ordered a 96" sofa, and matching armchair (in contrasting fabric). Upgraded the seats to spring-down.. Sofa and chair together came to around $3100 (+tax+del).

Again, thanks to everyone... we have a good local dealer and are very happy with our selections.... I'll update, once we take delivery.

bubbaonline Guest

Default Re: Ordered Taylor King sofa and chair

So... sofa, chair and ottoman were all delivered on Saturday... $4700 total, with tax and delivery...

And..... and... I hated every bit of it... LOL.

So, it's all going back... we can either get a 70% refund or 100% store credit, which I thought was very generous...

To be fair, we did well with the upholstery and leather selection.. Just didn't like anything else about what we picked... no fault of anyone but ourselves, I guess.. One thing that really bothered me, though.... The ottoman was supposed to be 18.5" high and the sofa seat 22"... but, the ottoman was at least as high as the sofa, if not higher, once you sat on the cushion.. Once I determined that, it all went downhill from there..

Sigh... back to the drawing board....

Yikes...you sent the entire order back? That is very generous for them to allow you a return of a special order.

Sometimes things go out of spec, but if the ottoman is supposed to be 18.5" high and comes in at 22", then that's too far out of spec...whereas 19" would not be.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

CMBAUR Guest

It's sounds like the problem is much more than just the ottoman height. However it that was the only concern, you might be able to request smaller legs from the factory or store to solve the problem rather than send it back. I'm surprised the store is taking it back it's very costly for the retailer when it's custom order furniture.

bubbaonline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Yikes...you sent the entire order back? That is very generous for them to allow you a return of a special order.

Sometimes things go out of spec, but if the ottoman is supposed to be 18.5" high and comes in at 22", then that's too far out of spec...whereas 19" would not be.
    I agree... very, very generous.

I could write a long post about everything that seemed wrong, but it's just sufficient to say that I was sick to my stomach over spending the money on something that turned out all wrong. (Amazingly, not the upholstery or leather choice, though...lol).

My wife decided to call today, to see what they would do. That's their policy.. 30% restocking charge (70% refund), or 100% store credit. I had no idea.. assumed we were stuck with it, but I'm glad we aren't... I probably would have sent it back for a 50% refund, if that was the best I could have done.. It's a big store... hopefully, they can put it on the floor and move it.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with my store..

bubbaonline Guest

Oh yeah...

Took us about two years to decide on this purchase.. Think we'll have any issues picking out something else? :-(

spbell Guest

Hi Bubba, I am looking for a sofa and chairs for our family room and am considering Taylor King as well. I have heard good things about their upholstery line and the quality...but after reading your post I am a little concerned, may I ask what it was that you didn't like about your selection? Was it the choice of style or the quality? Any imput you have would be appreciated, as I don't want to have to live with an unsightly or costly furniture mistake Thanks!