Thread: At Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's Home on July 4th

Default At Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's Home on July 4th

My wife and I took the 2 hour drive to Monticello yesterday, the 4th of July. I've lived in Virginia 26 years now and have never been there before which is inexcusable for a history buff like myself.

Its a beautiful property, very different from George Washington's Mt Vernon (which is just 3 miles from my store). Jefferson was a very interesting innovator, and that house has some of the finest woodworking in finish joinery I've ever seen. 99.99 % of tourists going into that home wouldn't look twice at things like the window mullion construction, but its clear that Jefferson had master carpenter's doing the work. I rarely see that level of workmanship in even the best of todays' fine furniture.

My only gripe was they ran us through the place too quickly. It was about a 40 minute tour and I needed about 6 hours to explore the details of the place! Very frustrating to have studied Jefferson and then be rushed through the place...but then again I'm not like most tourists

Jefferson had an eye for quality and style, unlike George Washington who was more 'everyman' in his choice of furnishings. About 65 % of all the furnishing in Monticello are original and it was relatively easy to see which were.

I was shocked at the 'Jefferson reproductions' in the Museum Gift Shop. Most all the furniture was done by Nichols and Stone and its junk. Not even close to the real deal. If you're going to offer an authentic reproduction, then make it REAL. But its commercially viable for mass production and I guess most people don't have a discerning eye for that sort of thing, but I was very disappointed in the quality of what they were offering.

Jefferson (and John Adams) both died on July 4th in 1826. As luck would have it, I was standing right by his bed in his study where he passed away at 1 p.m. in the afternoon exactly 185 years ago to the minute. Didn't' see any ghosts, however!

Its a good trip - if you ever get to Virginia, put it on your list of places to go.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: At Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's Home on July 4th

Monticello is, indeed, a feast for any history buff. I've only been there once and long to go again. Perhaps there is a more in-depth tour available a few times a year? How great that you were there on July 4th. I am reminded of a famous John F. Kennedy quote, on the occasion of hosting Nobel Prize laureates at the White House, "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered at the White House - with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail on July 3, 1776, the day after the adoption of the Declaration of Independence: “The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”

Amen, John Adams. Your prophesy has come to pass. This nation was founded by giants of thought and deed. There are none even close to them in wisdom today.

aluebcke Guest

Hi Duane,
    My husband also loves history, and this would be a great tour for him.

Since we're thinking of making the 10 hour drive to your store, any other suggestions of your favorite attractions in the area?

Thanks,
    Amanda

harland Guest

I've been wanting go on this tour for a few months:

State Department Diplomatic Reception Rooms

From the website:

The Diplomatic Reception Rooms are among the most beautiful rooms in the world. For fifty years, the art of diplomacy has thrived in the Diplomatic Reception Rooms against a stunning backdrop of American art and architecture from the time of our country’s founding and of its formative years. This historically evocative suite (42 rooms) contains a museum-caliber collection of American fine and decorative art (5,000 objects) from the period of 1750-1825.
    Unfortunately, the tours are only available Monday - Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by aluebcke View Post
    Hi Duane,
    My husband also loves history, and this would be a great tour for him.

Since we're thinking of making the 10 hour drive to your store, any other suggestions of your favorite attractions in the area?

Thanks,
    Amanda
    Oh my.....there is SO much to see and do within two hours of the store, you could spend a week here and not see it all. Most the major Civil War Battlefields for example, are within that two hour drive (including Gettysburg, Antietam, 1st and 2nd Mannassas, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, St. Petersburg). Then of course the Smithsonian musuems downtown, Air and Space at Dulles, National Cathedral, White House, Capitol, Nat Archives, and the list goes on and on. Historic Mt Vernon is just 5 minutes from my store.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by harland View Post
    I've been wanting go on this tour for a few months:

State Department Diplomatic Reception Rooms

From the website:

Unfortunately, the tours are only available Monday - Friday.
    I haven't done that one yet, but its LOADED with High End Period pieces including several Goddard-Townsend items. I need to go do that one, too.
    Duane Collie

Name:  P1010047.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  150.1 KB
    Name:  P1010045.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  120.9 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010039.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	2679
    Name:  P1010032.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  165.4 KB
    A few photos
    Duane Collie