Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

I've been looking at the Garfield fawn in different lights, and am really liking it more and more. It's truly a beautiful leather.

How big would the sample be if I do a CFA? I've found that the memo samples I've gotten aren't much help...the dealer size samples are most helpful. Would I be able to tell how shiny/glossy the leather would be from the CFA sample?

Anyone with the Garfield leather....can you please give my your impression of how slippery you find the leather? I may be worrying too much, but some opionions from people who own this leather would be very helpful.

I'm starting to wonder if we should consider a class 4 leather (either Capri or Antelope). I'm just not sure we want to spend that much....especially with two kids and college costs going up 8%/year. Hmmmm.....it would be nice, though.

Duane,
    Where would you suggest the gimp on the Author chair and ottomans? It looks like they already have gimp on the bottom, but I'm not quite sure from the H&M picture. I like the idea of the gimp in Nile Croc....on the ottomans, would you put two rows of the gimp (one at the bottom and one where the two leathers meet)?

Which would you suggest on the ottoman with the Nile Croc....Garfield fawn or mocha?

Thanks
    Amanda

I have the Collonade (sp?) chair in Garfield Claret - there are pics on the site. The leather is a bit too shiny and slippery for me. I like it more to look at then actually use. I'm not sure if I would get another piece in it, but it all comes down to taste. Duane has seen a lot more pieces in it, so I'd defer to him on the Garfield and I know he likes it. I got a CFA on the first H&M piece I bought (before I knew about Duane) and it was about one foot by one foot. It was very helpful and I'd recommend it, especially with the variation in Garfield.

In terms of other options, I like Equestrian A LOT in a Grade III, as well as Tuscany Saddle and Tiburon, but those aren't for everyone. The Equestrian is a little squeaky when it rubs together (although it has improved with time) and the Tuscany and Tiburon show scratches (which I like but isn't for everyone). The burnished leathers are nice, too, in that price range. Capri is really nice if you expand the budget! I'd take any of the foregoing over Antelope.

Monique Guest

Have no experience with the Garfield. We went with Antelope and we really love it. We've had it since early summer and it looks better every day. It is not shiny and looks and feels rich. If you think about how long you will have the furniture, the upgrade cost doesn't look so bad. (Of course, we've probably used that reasoning way too many times, right?
    -Monique

CFA samples are cut from the edges of the hide and typically run about 8" square. While Garfield is beautiful and rich its topcoat can be slicker and shiny. Its an Italian aniline hide, and like ALL ITALIAN ANILINE LEATHERS they vary wildly from batch to batch. Everyone slams the Chinese leathers but I tell ya, they are consistent. So are the German leathers. But with Italian leathers you never quite know what you're going to get.

Gimp can be run most anywhere on a chair, but most commonly just on the base or along the back edge. Take a look at the Princeton Chair from H&M if you want to see gimp running everywhere!

I'd do the leather on the bottom of the ottomans (if Author) to match the chair leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Monique and choubeck...thanks for your input!

I LOVE the look of the Garfield fawn, but I'm very nervous about the sheen. What I really want is a natural looking leather (fat wrinkles, etc.), with a matte/near-matte finish, that is very soft and comfortable (not too hot/cold). I love the color variation in the Garfield...it's truly unique in the H&M hide selection....but we're going to use the sofas a lot and I'm leaning toward softness/comfort versus visual appeal.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should look at the grade 4 Capri and Antelope hides.

Duane....any suggestions besides the Capri and Antelope given my list above (natural looking, matte/near-matte finish, soft, etc.)?

I've seen some good posts on the Equestrian leather (class 3) on the forum, but not many pictures. Seems like a durable (but perhaps less luxury?) hide.

I've done a few hours of reading on the forum this weekend, mostly about Capri and Antelope so I know they're great hides and everyone's been happy with them.

Duane....can you please PM me a price on the Sundance 4716 and 4717 in grade IV? You had given me a price of $900 to increase the depth of the 4717 by 4"....would this apply for a grade IV, too?

One more: If I put in an order during the next sale for the Garfield class 3, and I don't like the cfa, can I switch to a class IV and still get the sale (I know the price would go up to the class IV price, but would I get the sale percentage off)?

Garfield is DEFINITELY no where near a matte finish...not even close! Typically only the most costly hides are done that way, Quintessence is probably the best of all those in softness and matte, other than the super fragile Deerskin and Lambskin hides. Quintessence is also a GR 4 and comes from the same tannery as Capri and Antelope. Its has slightly less protective teflon topcoat than Capri. Either of those are superb leathers. Antelope is a fantastic all around hide where you don't have to be as careful as with Capri/Quintessence for oily / acid spills that might stain, its actually a fully finished hide (no fat wrinkles, scars, etc) but has that more matte look of a pure aniline.

I do like Equestrian, but its a saddle leather and makes squeaky/creaky noises when you sit on it, like a horse saddle, so if that's objectionable don't buy that series.

Yes, Custom Charge should still hold true in a higher grade hide.

Yes, if you don't like the CFA and change leathers, you still get the sale period price!
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks so much, Duane. I just sent you a PM, and we must have clicked send at the same time....you can ignore the PM and I'll post the non-pricing questions here:

I'd like to get some dealer samples in the Antelope and Capri. (I like the look of the Equestrian, but I'll rule it out due to the squeeking.)

I have a pile of memo and dealer samples now....should I send those back to H&M now or wait until I'm done?

If there's a charge for more dealer samples, please let me know....I know I've ordered quite a few up to this point and will understand if H&M requires a deposit.

I'd like the following in dealer sized samples:
    Antelope chino, nugget, saddle
    Capri tobacco, butternut, harness

I'd still like to do a brown, but the capri butternut and harness pictures I've seen posted on the forum look beautiful.

Any opinions on what will look the best on the Sundance sofas, capri or antelope?

Your comments on the forum about the annual cost of the upgrade have swayed me.....when amortized over 20 years (or more) the cost is really not that bad. Either way, I'd rather spend a bit more on sofas I'll love versus cutting costs and being unhappy with my choice.

Monique....I read your post and believe you chose the Antelope chino, but I couldn't find your pictures. Can you please post or direct me to them? I'd love to hear how you're enjoying your furniture and if you're happy with your choice. You've been helpful so far....we rearranged our room based on your recommendation to put the sofas parallel to each other (and love the layout).

Duane....I'll bet I have beat your record for most indecisive customer....my husband wanted me to tell you he's sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by aluebcke View Post
    Duane....I'll bet I have beat your record for most indecisive customer....my husband wanted me to tell you he's sorry.
    Not even close, you're just a rookie.....I have stories I best not tell <g>
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Duane....that really makes me smile.

I'll have to tell my husband...he thinks I over-research every major purchase and wishes I would just decide already!

Tell you a secret....

I'd say that 90% of those that agonize come full circle back to their first choice!
    Duane Collie