Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

levitt11 Guest

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

There are some furniture chain store sites, that allow you to mark up your room dimensions on their sites, and then place exactly the size and dimensions of furniture within the room - including putting in wall openings, door openings, windows, etc. You might want to try this - to get an idea of what works. If you need to know which site, PM me and I'll tell you which one allows you to do this for free. All you need is the dimensions of the furniture pieces you want to work with. This is what we did before we headed down to Duane's store, and I took the printed off version with me - along with the specs that I printed out. You can also turn the furniture anyway you wish to as well, move it around, there are various ways to play with it.

AZJoe Guest

I actually laid my sectional out in cardboard in order to get an idea of foot print. Like with the brown paper it was nice to be able to move it around etc.

Cardboard or paper is GREAT. Good way to do it. My brain works in a way that I can spatially work everything out in a room just by standing in the middle for about a minute. I guess that comes from putting too much furniture in too small a store for 26 years. My delivery guys tell me I go into a "Zen Moment" when they have six or seven pieces ready to put in the store and have to wait until I figure out the jigsaw puzzle before we start moving things around. But once I have it all figured out it all fits. Makes my wife crazy at home when I do that, too
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Hello again!
    My husband and I laid out the Sundance sofas (one large, 110" wide; 1 small, 84" wide) on our floor this weekend.

It will work but it's very tight. Please see the layout attached.

I really want a sofa and loveseat, but I'm thinking the Sundances are not the right choice due to their size.

Please give me your opinion on this layout.

Duane,
    Is there another sofa/loveseat combo that sits as deep or deeper than the Sundance, despite the 22" inside depth stated on H&M's site? I've gotten quotes from you on the 4192 Settlement (but there's no loveseat) and the 5010 Highlands (but it's very masculine looking). Any other sofas you'd recommend for tall people (6'7" and 6'0")?

I've also attached three alternative layouts: two with the large Sundance sofa and some chairs, and one with the Tower sectional/lounge. Any of these three layouts will work well, but I want to get some input from Duane, Monique, and anyone else who is kind enough to give me their opinion.

We've ruled out two sofas across from each other (not comfortable for watching TV).

We've also talked about putting the TV above the fireplace, but that would raise the TV up by about 2' (to about 54").....may to too high, but we already have wiring in place to go from the fireplace to a closet across the room (my husband is an electrician) so it would be easy to do.

Any thoughts?

I've been looking at some chairs to go in the room, and love the following Hancock & Moore (look both comfortable and stylish):

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1605

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1605

And this chair is very cool (and color goes with our red rug):
    http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=423

Love this chair and a half (in the fabric above), but may be too contemporary:

http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=676

I appreciate any feedback you can give me. I'm obviously design challenged, and can't seem to picture anything in my head.

Thanks,
    Amanda

** I'll add the layouts tonight....can't get them to attach from my work computer.**

Here's something to consider....I made a few phone calls and we can custom-made the Sundance for you as a loveseat and take out 23.5" in the overall width (basically the center section/cushion). Because this is a full-on custom you pay the sofa price plus an additional $ 600 to get to that piece just the way you want it. So you would have about 61" or so and we can adjust this out to a certain width as well, say 64" if need be - your choice, Amanda There's a school of thought that says at this level of furniture buying, get it the way you want it, and I tend to agree. If the Sundance is what you want, and H&M will custom-build it for you - then why compromise? These pieces last a very long time so amortized over the useful life of the furniture its not hugely costly to get it made to fit your room.

I'm sure we can custom-made the Settlement in a loveseat as well for about the same custom charge, its an easier sofa to make than the Sundance series as its all straight cut lines.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks for checking on the custom work, Duane. I think the problem is that the sofas are so deep, 46" vs my current sofa's depth of 38". That makes it harder to fit two in the room comfortably, given the width of the larger one. (The columns between the kitchen and great room don't help either.)

If we cut down the width, I'll have a loveseat that is smaller than my current one....and my husband would prefer two large sofas (which I convinced him will not fit in that room unless they are parallel to each other).

I'll try to post my other options later.

I love the Sundance, but if I can't get it to work, H&M has many other sofas. I'm sure I can find one that will (as sofa/sofa or sofa/loveseat).

One more question for you: you got me thinking about custom.....what is the approximate cost to make a sofa 2" deeper (on the inside seat depth)?

Thanks
    Amanda
    Last edited by aluebcke; 07-12-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Customs depend on the complexity of a particular model. I have to call and get a quote on each one. Sometimes increasing depth can be more costly than length. 2" isn't very much, if you can just do 1" we can usually get that by slimming the back cushion a little which is much less costly than a frame mod.

Yes, Sundances are deep! Take a look at the McNary sofa...I think it will come close to the dimensions you might need and have the size requirements for taller folk. This is a very handsome sofa when done in the right leather:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...?productid=975
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane. I like the look of that one, but we need it to be comfortable. Not sure how comfortable the backs of those are. (I really like the look of the Sloane, too).

I think I'm going to drag my husband to the furniture store that has the Sundance (smaller one) and get his opinion. Also plan to call H&M and see if a local rep can direct me to a store with a lot of H&M sofas in stock. That would help me tremendously.

Maybe I have too many requirements: looks nice from the back, not an "ordinary" looking leather couch (I want it to have unique design details), long and deep, comfortable......

Here are the alternate designs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout_sundance with 3 chairs.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	2689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout_sundance 2 chairs.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	2690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower sectional and 2 lg chairs.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	2691

Let me know your thoughts on these.
    Thanks.
    Amanda

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Yes, Sundances are deep! Take a look at the McNary sofa...I think it will come close to the dimensions you might need and have the size requirements for taller folk. This is a very handsome sofa when done in the right leather:
    As far as inside/seating depth, is the sundance sofa and love seat deeper then when made up as a sectional? Or the same?

Monique Guest

Amanda, great job with those layouts! I like No. 1 the best because it allows the sofa and one chair for TV viewing plus if this layout is not too crowded, it gives you the most seating. No. 2 and 3 only give the sofa for TV viewing. That might not be important..don't know how much TV viewing you do but with streaming NETFLIX now, we do more than ever.

LOVE the Author Chair and the Phelps chair. Those would be great together if their dimensions work for your space. I sat in an Author Chair recently and it was extremely comfortable.

If you go with No. 1, one idea might be to buy the sofa and large chair that you like and then see how they work in your room before ordering the second pair of chairs. You could always then decide, yes, I want two more chairs or no, I think I only want one more chair. If you go with this scenario, you could try moving the large chair to the opposite side of the TV. That way the larger, more comfortable chair would have a better view of the fireplace. Maybe you would have room for the ottoman if you pushed the sofa towards the fireplace and put its side table on the opposite side. Then you could decide on maybe one Phelps chair for the other side of the TV.

I wish I was like Duane and was good spatially but I'm not. I have to be in the room moving the furniture around...much to my husband's dismay, I might add.

By the way, my husband, thinks I overthought (obsessed) about our new pieces too but all that thinking helped us make the best decision and gave us an outcome we are both happy with.