Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

That's really beautiful, but if I told my husband I wanted to spend $5,600 on an 8x10 rug he would think I was crazy!

My son just puked on our $500 Pottery Barn wool rug....not a big deal at that price....but a disaster at $5,600.

We'll wait for that kind of purchase until the kids are off to college.

At least I can wipe the leather off pretty easily....it's not so easy to clean a wool rug.

I hear you on the cost....lol

Cleaning a wool rug is EASY. Especially the high end ones because the wool is unprocessed and still has the natural lanolin in the fibers, which means it resists most stains. Know what you do to clean one of those? Wait until a nice spring or fall day when its 75 degrees out and sunny with low humidity - and will be the next day as well. Take the rug outside on the deck or the driveway and soak it with the garden hose. Get it sopping wet. Next, get a scrub brush and a bucket of water with liquid Tide in it, and start scrubbing by hand. Do the whole rug using lots of water. Rinse well. If the rug is small you can hang it over a banister to dry - if its large then you put it atop pallets laid out before you soak it so that air can get under it. Let dry (usually 24 to 30 hours) then take it back in. Your rug will be much brighter afterwards and is not good for another 5 to 8 years before it needs another wash.

One thing you don't want to do is send the rug out to a commercial cleaner unless you know exactly how they are cleaning it. Most throw them in large vats with other rugs and then cheaper rugs will bleed their dyes off and contaminate yours - leaving your rug clean but with a grayish cast overall to it. If you have fine rugs, insist they be cleaned one at a time in fresh water. I have always done my own rugs, once the importer I get them from showed me how to do it. Its not hard at all, but you need a couple days of nice weather so they can dry out.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MJM_CA Guest

aluebcke, I like the Pottery Barn rug. One thing I've learned when shopping for a rug online is to look at the return policies. Some companies will allow you to test out the rug and pay for return shipping if you aren't satisfied.

Duane, we have lots of good rug cleaning days out here in L.A.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks MJM_CA! I like that one, too....but my husband thinks we need to lighten the room a bit. We're going to go rug shopping today with our leather and fabric samples. Hopefully, that will help.

Yes, I noticed some companies have great return policies and others are not so great (restocking fees). I was going to order 3-4 rugs and return the ones that didn't work.....then I checked FedEx charges for an 8x10 rug that weighs 100 lbs an dit's about $80. So I'd need to narrow it down to 2...I'd hate to waste a lot on return shipping.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane for your tutorial on wool rug cleaning! I would have never thought to take it outside and hose it down. Will probably have to do that before I either sell the red rug, or give it away.

MJM_CA Guest

I've had good luck with Horchow, Nieman Marcus's home website. The stuff is pricy, but there are frequent sales. Customer service and return policies are great. I've never paid for return shipping and you can keep the item for 180 days (if I recall correctly) and get full refund.

Shop locally if you can. Almost anyone selling area rugs has a liberal return policy and you really do need to try a rug out in your home. Shipping them back and forth is a real headache for everyone. Been there, done that. A local guy will usually let you take three or four home at one time, and that's a big plus.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Damask Guest

Dear Amanda,

Thank you, got your PM! Will reply to it in a minute... Glad you're liking the Ultra Down cushions and that there isn't much issue with the "puddled look" everyone is worrying about... I think I'll be ordering these as well. If you happen to have a minute and wouldn't mind posting couple of photos of your Sundance sofas, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just wondering how much the cushions broke-in over a year of usage... But of course I'll totally understand if you're busy and my request is too much! I'm a Mom too and sometimes don't even know what day it is LOL.

The depth issue on the Sundance worries me a lot. I had a chance to see one recently at a store; I measured it personally and it was 46" overall depth. I wish I measured the inside depth as well, but I didn't... wasn't aware of the problem then. The website states 24"...
    So I understand that both of your sofas are 50" deep, correct? Can you please tell me how deep the sitting area is? Is it 28"?

I PM'ed Duane about it as well; he's expecting a new Sundance sofa any day now so he'll check the dimensions on that one too.

I had no idea how complicated the sofa ordering process would become
    If it was my husband buying, it would have been done within five minutes LOL

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I've spent the last three days chasing this problem down for Amanda, and finally after about 20 phone calls to H&M have figured out what happened with her order.

(1) Sundance sofa was made to a standard dimension, the depth of which is spec'd at 46" overall

(1) Sundance sofa was made extra long and spec'd at 50" in depth.

The sofas arrived, and the custom-framed one was 50" deep as written on the order, but the seat cushions swapped in from the standard sofa for a perfect fit! That meant if they made the custom sofa deeper, they put the extra depth BEHIND the back cushions into the meat of the frame and that didn't make sense. H&M went back to the plant foreman and they sweared they measured the custom sofa many times and it WAS 50" just like we spec'd on the order. This made things most curious. If they made it to 50" - 4" Deeper than standard - why did the cushion from the 'regular' Sundance fit?

At this point, H&M began pulling regular Sundances off the line and measuring them, so we could find out what was going on. Turns out that several months ago the Sundance sofa series was modified and the standard depth was changed to 50", while the catalog and web site say 46". They changed the frame for more comfort, but didn't notify the dealers or change the catalog/web site specs. So, since the custom said 50" deep - that's what they made. Now Amanda has her custom sofa 4" less deep than she wanted and H&M admits the mistake was theirs.

We're going to offer Amanda a large discount on the custom sofa if she wants to keep it, or else remake it for her, whatever she prefers. One thing about ordering from H&M and The Keeping Room is we do the work to find out what's going on and make things right when they were not done correctly.