Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for narrowish reclining loveseat

dwainw Guest

Default Looking for narrowish reclining loveseat

Hi, Duane. My wife and I have been on the hunt for a quality reclining loveseat. But we need one no wider than 61" to allow for traffic flow around it. I have been looking on the H&M site at the Austin line, but can't find any information about the width of the loveseats. One other consideration is that this will be placed in a small home theater, so I would prefer that the height be no more than 36" or so. Would the Austin Incliner or Recliner fit? Or can you recommend something else?

-Dwain

Quote Originally Posted by dwainw View Post
    Hi, Duane. My wife and I have been on the hunt for a quality reclining loveseat. But we need one no wider than 61" to allow for traffic flow around it. I have been looking on the H&M site at the Austin line, but can't find any information about the width of the loveseats. One other consideration is that this will be placed in a small home theater, so I would prefer that the height be no more than 36" or so. Would the Austin Incliner or Recliner fit? Or can you recommend something else?

-Dwain
    I have a couple of suggestions, Dwain. Leathercraft has nothing in that size, and I'm hesitant to recommend the current crop of Bradington Young dual recliner pieces as their back angles are something you'd want to try out before ordering because of the pitch angle. I find them uncomfortable.

That leaves Hancock and Moore from what I have available in high quality goods. The Austin w/Dual Recliners should fill the bill. It's 62" wide (might be possible to have it made to 60" or 61" upon request, a bit less padding roll on the arms). Its 38" high and 40" Deep overall. Best of all, its just 1" from the wall when the footrest is out, so it should fit well. Now an Incliner has very little movement in the back, the footrest comes UP, and the back 'slips' into a complimentary position, but does not go all the way back like a conventional recliner. You get the feet/legs up operation, a small shift in the back, but no 'sleeping' position.

The other option worth exploring is the Savoy Theatre ensembles. You can take two manual or power recliners 25" on Savoy and put them together to form a loveseat, and combine with a pair of the 6" straight arms. That means you can get a unit that measures 62" wide and that can possibly modified to 60" overall upon request by taking 1" from each recliner unit. Such as in this photo, but no center arm section and just two recline units. Height on these pieces is 43", however.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1702

I can also look into Flexsteel, they make many pieces like that but they're more "Joe Six-Pack" in design and function, lacking the style and grace of the H&M pieces.

http://www.flexsteel.com/home/produc...dSkuId=3344-20
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dwainw Guest

Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to discuss this with my wife tonight. Are the measurements similar for the Full Recliner?

Close! Specs are:

# 9034-20 Full Recliner:

H:39" W: 62" D: 39"
    Inside: W: 47.5" D. 19.5"
    Distance to Wall for full recline: 5"

8032-20 Incliner:

H:38" W: 62" D: 40"
    Inside: W: 49" D. 21"
    Distance to Wall for recline: 1"
    Duane Collie

dwainw Guest

It sounds like the Full Recliner would be the choice for us. What would the price be for one of these in a Berkshire or Savannah leather? We are located out in the Shenandoah Valley, so we could probably even pick it up from your store. What kind of lead time is H&M running?

By the way, I picked those leathers from the H&M booklet that they mailed me when I inquired with them about the dimensions (they never answered the question, but did mail me some literature). I figure one of these would be a good compromise for our situation. We have two little ones, aged 2 and 4, but they are generally pretty clean with things for their age (we do have a dining room table and use it 8^). And my wife wants a leather as soft as possible. Would you have any other recommendations?

It sounds like the Full Recliner would be the choice for us. What would the price be for one of these in a Berkshire or Savannah leather? We are located out in the Shenandoah Valley, so we could probably even pick it up from your store. What kind of lead time is H&M running?

By the way, I picked those leathers from the H&M booklet that they mailed me when I inquired with them about the dimensions (they never answered the question, but did mail me some literature). I figure one of these would be a good compromise for our situation. We have two little ones, aged 2 and 4, but they are generally pretty clean with things for their age (we do have a dining room table and use it 8^). And my wife wants a leather as soft as possible. Would you have any other recommendations?
    Here's pricing on the Full Recliner, the # 9034-20, pickup price at my store:

Grade 1 Leather: $ 3,495
    Grade 2 Leather: $ 4,088
    Grade 3 Leather: $ 4,403
    Grade 4 Leather: $ 4,980

The leathers you mention are Grade II's. Berkshire has a very defined 'pebble' to it so it may not be as smooth as you want. Savannah is a mainstream leather than has a good look, and tactile feel. However, I think Kipling, Weston and the new Walker series hides are softer and more luxurious than Savannah in the Grade 2 hides.

In Grade 1, you can look at Columbia. Nice hide for entry grade leather.

Samples I can get to you (need a general color preference) just PM me with name/address and I can send you out a dozen or so.
    Duane Collie

Odd I/O Guest

Default H&M booklet...

dwainw, did that booklet H&M sent you contain pictures of all the leather/hides offered by them? If so I'd like to get one as well. How did you get one? Did you call or e-maill them for it?

dwainw Guest

Odd I/O,

Unfortunately the H&M booklet does not have pictures of the various leathers. It is the standard brochure that the company sends out if you call or email them for any information. I understand that a picture would not really tell you everything you would want to know about the various leathers, but it seems to be that it would have been quite helpful if they had identified the leathers used on the furniture shown in the book. This particular book has photos of dozens and dozens of fine H&M furniture, complete with item description, but not once does it mention what hide was used to produce that particular piece. Even if they provided identification on a few pieces in the book, it would give some indication of how various leather collections might look on a finished product, something a swatch cannot do.

Duane,

Thanks again for all of your info. I was looking at the Berkshire/Savannah/Verona varieties because the H&M booklet gives them a Servicability rating of 2 rather than 3 like the Kipling and Weston. The description in the booklet of those two servicability levels makes me wonder what kind of 'patina' my toddlers could help a 3 develop. Again, they aren't as messy as a lot of rugrats I've seen, but accidents do happen. Is there much advantage in stepping up to an Auburn or Equestrian?

Finally, at this stage in the game, roughly how long would it take to have one of these made?

Odd I/O,

Unfortunately the H&M booklet does not have pictures of the various leathers. It is the standard brochure that the company sends out if you call or email them for any information. I understand that a picture would not really tell you everything you would want to know about the various leathers, but it seems to be that it would have been quite helpful if they had identified the leathers used on the furniture shown in the book. This particular book has photos of dozens and dozens of fine H&M furniture, complete with item description, but not once does it mention what hide was used to produce that particular piece. Even if they provided identification on a few pieces in the book, it would give some indication of how various leather collections might look on a finished product, something a swatch cannot do.

Duane,

Thanks again for all of your info. I was looking at the Berkshire/Savannah/Verona varieties because the H&M booklet gives them a Servicability rating of 2 rather than 3 like the Kipling and Weston. The description in the booklet of those two servicability levels makes me wonder what kind of 'patina' my toddlers could help a 3 develop. Again, they aren't as messy as a lot of rugrats I've seen, but accidents do happen. Is there much advantage in stepping up to an Auburn or Equestrian?

Finally, at this stage in the game, roughly how long would it take to have one of these made?
    H&M does not identify the leathers in the photos on the booklet, master dealer catalog or website because of several reasons.

* Leathers come and go. The photos may be of a hide no longer offered.

* Lighting is intense on pro-photo shots. It alters the look of the actual leather. Therefore they don't want customers ordering based on the appearance in the photo. They would prefer you visit a dealer and see the swatch yourself in person.

* Free mail out swatches are available. You can say "I like the look of the leather on page ___" and your dealer can cull his master samples to find the hides that look like that photo, then have them sent to you. I do that all the time.

* Leather swatches to not photograph well. Its can be very unpleasant to order off a swatch photograph.

As to 2 vs 3 serviceability, that's ground I cover frequently on other posts here on the forum, and at the end of the day it comes down to what YOU (and your wife) can tolerate. If you are very particular by nature, then a small stain on your leather might bother you. But if you're laid back, then probably not. I have a good customer in Maryland that has a real brood....six rowdy boys, and a girl. Seven kids in all. He only buys Serviceability 3 hides that are pure anilines and loves the way they look after they're 'broken in' as he tells me. "Like a baseball glove that's played a few games" he tells me. He would never buy a finished hide piece. You have to get what works for you.

Production times are ranging from 4 weeks to 16 weeks. Depends on if the hide is in stock at H&M in the colorway you like. A good average I'm seeing is 6 to 7 weeks for 80% of the product line right now. H&M closes for 1 week vacation on Dec 19th, and then a few days at New Years as well, so that's going to add a little time to production right now as we get into the Holidays.
    Duane Collie

dwainw Guest

Hi, Duane. My wife and I are still in the hunt. Life has been busy and furniture has taken a back seat for a while. We are definitely still interested in the Austin Full Recline Loveseat. Now we are trying to pick the proper hide.

We stopped by a Grand Home Furnishings to see if they by any chance would have swatches to peruse. To our surprise they actually did. But they can't come close to you on price, and since H&M is such a small fraction of what they sell, they lacked your thorough knowledge of the product. We have looked long and hard at their samples, but tried to take up as little of their time as we could. But we have narrowed our search to a few possiblities:

Caress Burgundy - we love the feel and can live with the warm look of this chocolate-cordially hide.

Quintessence Saddle - we love the feel and the look, but we are concerned whether the inevitable patina on this lighter hide will add richness or just look worn. What does daily use look like on this after 15 years?

Quintessence Bark - love the feel and like the lush walnut look alot. I'm guessing the patina here would be much more subtle since we would be starting with a darker leather to begin with.

and believe it or not, the Guss Chocolate fabric - it's sort of a poor substitute for Nabuk, but we want to make sure to explore all of the possibilities. Grand had no information on what this was made of or how it could be cleaned, so it's a big question mark.

Any quick thoughts on how these would fare with two kids starting at 2 & 4, and the possibility of a lap dog down the road? My practical side says go with the Caress, but we really like the depth and character of the Quintessence. And would any of these look particularly good or bad on the Austin?

Thanks again,

Dwain