Thread: Leather Shopping

Sissysmom Guest

Default Leather Shopping

I live in Birmingham Alabama and we have a huge furniture retailer going out of business. They always buy special lots of things and pass them off with savings because they are usually discontinued. They carry all levels of furniture, but don't display the manufacturer name on them....

In any case I went looking at sofas today and found a really nice looking sofa that I liked. The price for the sofa and loveseat was about $5400. I asked who made it and they told me Benchmade??? Which I can't even find online. They claimed they had been in business 100 years and here in the USA... hummmm right?

Looking at the H&M website I found a sofa that looked like another one that they said was made by the same manufacturer, it is the Somerset (pretty distinct).

In any case since these folks don't know anything I am guessing I should be able to find somewhere on the sofa who makes it...

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Leather Shopping

Beware. You are about to get your pocketbook cleaned by the infamous "Going Out of Business Sale", typically run by Liquidators. Expect no warranty service whatsoever, and who sells furniture with no labels on it? They MUST have a content label on the piece that is visible to you that will state the interior material composition and the maker's name/address. That required by the State Health Department in every state in the Union. If that's missing on all their pieces you should call the Alabama State Health Department and report them as they are in violation of ordinances and will be swooped down upon by state officials and be forced to remove the product from the sales floor or suffer fines.

Search the forum for posts on how Liquidators operate, the threads are quite extensive. There are no bargains at going out of business sales except on damaged stock that was originally in the store.

Hancock and Moore does not sell private label or no-label. But there are plenty of fly-by-night small upholstery makers that copy H&M original designs. Why pay $ 5,400 for unknown mystery pieces when you're really in the price range for genuine H&M product?

Caveat emptor!

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

levitt11 Guest

We have a place near us running a HUGE sale on Karastan Rugs; apparently they got a liquidation on them; and are selling them at rock bottom prices. It's a place I would never, ever consider shopping at - they get all the liquidation furniture - recently it was Berkline they advertised as going out of business and picked up their entire line to liquidate.

Sissysmom Guest

Ahhh you know, Berkline is associated with Benchcraft from what I could tell online... I wonder if that is it? I am really ready to march down there and whip some butt if they are trying to pass off Bonded leather as the real deal. From what I can see Berkline is bonded....

Thank you very much. Oh and I am happy to report that because of this forum I know now my cherished leather wing back recliner hand me down from my Mother and Father in Law is a Bradington-Young. I never thought to look at it, we love it though! It still looks great after a few houses and kids have passed it around!

Benchcraft is owned by Berkline which recently went out of business. Ashley has bought up all of the Berkline intellectual property rights including patents and trademarks but they are not buying any of the assets. The company is being liquidated.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

MJM_CA Guest

Duane, your liquidation warning reminded me of an experience I had with Horchow, the online Nieman Marcus home store. They have a brown leather sectional for sale for over $9000. No manufacturer info listed at all...just described as made in USA, 8-way hand tied. Obviously way overpriced when you can't even choose the leather! I contacted Horchow to tell me who the manufacturer is and they said their agreement with the vendor prohibited that info being shared. WTH?!! Horchow must expect dumb rich people drop 9 grand on a no name piece of furniture. Buyer beware indeed. In fairness to Horchow, they do have a fair return policy...

Here is a link for the sectional: http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog...0731cat6770731
    Last edited by MJM_CA; 07-12-2011 at 10:11 PM.