Thread: How long to "break in" a new leather sofa?

Hybrid View

pittsburrito Guest

Default How long to "break in" a new leather sofa?

Our Bradington Young sofa arrived 10 days ago and it is really stiff to sit on. How long can I anticipate having to wait for it to soften up from use? (Or can I buy softer cushion inserts for it?)

Pittsburrito

Default Re: How long to "break in" a new leather sofa?

Don't be in a rush! About 6 weeks of steady use to 'break in'. They will soften up, for sure!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

I went on vacation this past week, and in our nice, big, pricey beach-house sat a leather sectional. I plopped in it for the first time, and damn near hit the floor. In the week I was there, I missed my dogs, but most of all I missed my H&M sectional, and its more firm, supportive cushions..LOL

A little over a month and mine is noticeably softened up, and I am sure it will continue to break in.

Heh. No decent webbing in that Beach House Sectional. When the foundation is lousy, down you go in the seat.....

I do the same thing when we go on vacation. Aghast at how crummy the furniture is and how lousy the beds are - and we typically vacation at Marriott, which while not 5 star is one of the better places in their Vacation Clubs. The furniture I can deal with and most the time just sit on the floor watching TV in the evening....but the cheap mattresses make my wife and I really appreciate our Royal Pedic when we get home. You really can tell the good stuff once you have it.

I took a new H&M piece home Sunday. Was unpacking some new chairs for the store and opened up a # 1946 Princeton Chair in Hand-Antiqued Sunset that I ordered at the Spring Market. Wow! Great chair! (I forgot what I had ordered) Had to have it. Just a great-looking hide, too. Put it in the pickup truck and hauled it home to go in our family room and my wife wasn't quite as enamored with it as I was, but its staying for now. I'll have to take some photos later on. Compact and lo-profile, with beautiful tailoring on the back and I like the gimp used extensively on the chair. My first new H&M piece for the house in three years....it has a Ultra Down core in it on the seat, but its stiff as a board, too. I'll have it all broken in 'just right' in about a month.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

lol.. I don't know how you do it. I would be taking home something new all the time. Probably not the best business strategy however.

When I watch "Pawn Stars" I am always thinking it would be hard for me not to keep some of that stuff. Especially when he kills them on the price.

Side note. Do you ship Royal Pedics, or is that something better off buying local? I will probably be in the market for a new mattress next year.

Its easy to refrain from taking everything home...because I have to pay for it just like you do! So I plan carefully as well. My home is probably not as finely furnished as some would expect, but when we do buy something its a quality piece.

I ship Royal Pedics all over the country. Easy enough to do, using white glove delivery.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Yea the paying for it part kind of kills it lol.

I will have to check out their site and see what it is I am looking for. Is there one model you tend to recommend?
    Last edited by AZJoe; 07-12-2011 at 05:04 PM.

I have Royal-Pedics in all the rooms except for the guest bedroom. So my wife, two kids and I all sleep on the boring and basic plain All-Cotton series (which is also the least costly of their beds). The bedding is firm, and about 1/3 my customers add a removable 3" pillow topper to it for more cush and luxury. I have a topper as well for my bed, but we took it off after a few years and now its in the basement.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

I will have to go to a showroom, and get back to you. Least costly does sound nice..lol

Do you need a "boxspring" too?(I think that is what it is called.

Yes, that includes a box spring. You don't have to have one if you are using a platform bed...but otherwise you do need one.
    Duane Collie