Thread: Leather sectional: Stickley or SofaULove?

FitchickLA Guest

Default Leather sectional: Stickley or SofaULove?

Hey all, I am looking to have a large leather sectional custom-made. I have narrowed it down to these two companies - the 100 series (36" depth) by Stickley (@ $10,200) or a custom leather couch by SofaULove (@ $9700 for 38" depth).

Similar leathers, embellishments (nail-heads, piping) & arm, back & base styles are the same. Price is pretty close, so which would you recommend? The SUL couch can be totally customized in size, but the Stickley must be made to their specifications.

Both have had good and bad reviews per their leather quality. Also, Stickley will take 10-12 wks to make and SUL is a local factory so its finished in about 3 wks!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Leather sectional: Stickley or SofaULove?

I've never heard of SofaULove, but if I were plunking down 10 large for a sectional you can bet I want to see how its made and every frame component used in the construction no matter who the builder. EVerything looks good when its new, but proper build means that in five years it will still look and perform as well as it did on Day 1. Sofa U Love doesn't have a build diagram on their website, so I'm suspect of it already. They say they use hardwood frames....is that Engineered Hardwood (plywood) or Solid hardwood? There is a difference. No mention of spring system or webbing or doweling, etc...and they appear to be a regional builder to Southern Cali. I'd want more details rather than getting wow-ed by a 3 week build time.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

FitchickLA Guest

Thanks for the help! I will check on the SUL framing and their building specs. They are local (quick turnaround time) and get their leather at- http://www.ltiusa.com/

Do you know this leather company?

From what I gather, Stickley is known for their wood furnishings and not so much for their leather. Am I paying for just the "Stickley" name and not getting the best quality?

Also, I like it that SUL can customize your order to any specs, any size, any depth..etc. With Stickley, aren't you stuck to their dimensions?

Thanks again.

I don't know of that leather supplier, but most store dealers don't get involved in leather sourcing - that's the manufacturer's that select the source hides.

Stickley builds a decent, if underwhelming product line. Did you know that in their Factory Stores, they sell Hancock and Moore leather alongside their own? That tells me something right there....

I don't know if Stickley customizes or not. In order to do customizations however - you have to have your own frame shop in site, that's pretty much a given.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.