Thread: Roman Shades (Light Filtering vs Room Darkening) Please help

aluebcke Guest

Default Roman Shades (Light Filtering vs Room Darkening) Please help

Hi
    I'm trying to find a window treatment that will cover a 104" wide window in one piece.

I've considered faux wood (painted white) and would prefer to go this route, but I'd have to purchase a 3-on-1 header. I'm concerned that light will get through the space (about 1/2" I'm told) between blinds.

The only treatment I can find that can be purchased in one 104" continuous blind are Roman Shades. Unfortunately, only the "light filtering" is available in this long length.

Does anyone have light filtering roman shades? If so, how much light is blocked?

Our 104" x 56" tall window is directly across from the sofa....and the sun shines in from about 2:00 every afternoon, to the point that we cannot even sit on the sofa in the afternoon (can't watch TV, which is right under the window).

Will the light filtering block enough sunlight to protect the leather sofa from damage? We plan to get something up before the new sofa arrives.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Roman Shades (Light Filtering vs Room Darkening) Please help

I have 8' long pull-down solar shields in my store. They are not real attractive, but they do work. I use the heaviest (darkest) color they make, and roll them down daily when the sun clocks into the store. Other than that, I don't know what can go that length. Weight has to be an issue to keep them from sagging.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Monique Guest

The woven blinds can be as heavy as the wooden blinds. Would they have to be in sections as well?

I have three sets of wooden blinds on wide windows. The breaks were made on the wooden window dividers (sorry, don't know the name for those.) As a result, I don't have any light shinning through when the blinds are closed.

organic_smallhome Guest

Have you checked out Smith & Noble online? They have both solar roman shades and solar blinds (which are light filtering, but still let in quite a bit of light).

annaatkins Guest

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    Have you checked out Smith & Noble online? They have both solar roman shades and solar blinds (which are light filtering, but still let in quite a bit of light).
    I have heard about them as well...haven't tried any of their shades yet but my friend did and he seemed happy with them.