Thread: Damaged Councill Dining Table top

5woodluther Guest

Default Damaged Councill Dining Table top

Here's the issue - Just relocated, and the movers put a plastic chair pad with the hard plastic knobs on the bottom of it on top of my Councill Mahogany Dining table. So, when it arrived and was unwrapped, there were indentations throughout the top of the table. To make matters worse, they put the edge of the table down on something, and left a cracked / dented area in the one edge about 4 inches long.

So, as it is an insurance claim, and their repair person cannot repair it back to original, I am left looking for a solution. I feel the solution is to have the top copied by a custom maker to repair the table, but didn't know how feasible this may be. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Councill Craftsman Mahogany dining table with Oval Center and starburst out to the border in wenge finish. Two leaves and skirted.

Default Re: Damaged Councill Dining Table top

That table is heavily damaged, and no touch-up guy is going to be able to fix it. Movers sound like amateurs to me, and don't know how to recognize fine furniture or pack it.

I would have them buy the table outrightand take it for salvage from you, or else see about having it transported back to Councill in NC for full restoration and have them pay the bill.

Very few custom cabinetmakers can work to the level of Councill even tnough they say they can do the job. Then you wind up with a mis-matched top, the insurance claim is all done and the cabinentmaker said he did the best he could do. I've seen that happen many times.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.