Thread: looking for high quality recliner

Hybrid View

trent777 Guest

Default looking for high quality recliner

Hello Gentlemen:

I am looking for a new, high quality recliner and seek advice from the learned knowledge of the members of this forum.

I have spent some time on the computer for tips on brand name recliners before noticing this site. To clarify by "high end", I mean the brand name manufacturers that are commonly found in stores and not a speciality, custom furniture maker).

Some of the recurring names I have seen on the web are: Hancock and Moore, Hickory White, Henderson, E J Victor, Stickley, and Century. Out of these manufacturers, can anyone provide me with a "pecking order"?

I work in New York City and I see a nearby store, American Home By Safavieh, that provides the Hancock and Moore and a couple of the other names listed above. The recliners depicted in the website look elegant and appear substantial. I particularly like the Saunders recliner by Hancock and Moore. I believe one of the forum members here has used or dealt with this company and recommends them.

Primarily, I am interested in a leather recliner.

Any information, along with an estimated price quote on what I may be paying, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Default Re: looking for high quality recliner

What to look for in a recliner is not a brand per se, but how its made. The two best mechanisms are Leggett and Platt, and Universal. Any recliner built with those means you are on the right track. L&P will have a label on their mechanism and hologram showing its authentic, not sure if Universal does. Recliners are 'built' around the mechanism, so if you have premium hardware, you are most the way there already. Other than that, check pitch angles for comfort, Tightness in tailoring, choice of leathers, strength of arms when pushed out laterally and use your eyes - you can tell the goof ones from the so-so ones.

Hancock and Moore is considered the best in the industry in motion furniture.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

trent777 Guest

Thank you drcollie for your input. Today I visited the Amnerican Home by Safavieh and another dealer listed on the H@M site. Unfortunatley, they only had two models from Hancock ands Moore, not the ones I had in mind. They were both comfortable but in different ways. The one that caught my attention from Hancock @ Moore website was the Saunders Lounger, model 7082. htt//www.hancockandmoore.com/images/product/7082_saunders_mt_pr.jpg With the leather swatches I was looking at, a class 2 hide, the salesman quoted me a price of 5370.00 with a 35% discount. Final total with in homedelivery came to 3490.00 Is this a fair price based on your experience? The total wait time is 16weeks. With a grade one leather, I was quoted 4650 and the 35% offf based on the Saunders Loungers Model.

I was surpised that consiering it is NYC, these stores had such a limited supply in the showroom. I am certain that the different model recliners will have a similar feel but to spend over $3,000 on specific furniture without actually seeing it, is putting a lot of faith on the manufacturer. The third store from the H@M list, Scully and Scully did not even offer recliners in their store. Any suggestions and thoughts?

Thanks again for your explanation on the movement mechanisms.

$ 3,590 for an H&M # 7082 in a GR 2 is a full retail mark. You can do better than that...considerably. PM sent to you with my selling price (H&M requests I do not quote prices on the forum). And they are way off on the delivery time unless that leather you were looking at is seriously out of stock. Normal build time at H&M is 6 weeks if the cover is in-stock, and they have about 70% of their inventory in-stock at any given time.

I stock about (30) H&M pieces all the time, and I only have 5,000 s.f. of display room (yes, its a little tight to walk around the store sometimes).
    Duane Collie

trent777 Guest

I did not think that the quoted price was much iof a deal and that the delivery time seemed excessive. I sent you a PM regarding your services.

Your information about the movement systems was far more informative than what either slaesman provided me and their knowledge of leathers appeared non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by trent777 View Post
    Your information about the movement systems was far more informative than what either slaesman provided me and their knowledge of leathers appeared non existent.
    I'm not surprised. In our industry, that's more the norm than the exception. I have a natural curiosity on things and an interest in having the RIGHT answer as much as possible, so I bug these manufacturers constantly on their products and how they make them. After awhile, you get pretty smart on things if you ask enough questions!
    Duane Collie