Thread: Sherrill Sectional - keep it?

jillies01 Guest

Default Sherrill Sectional - keep it?

Hello,
    I have a Sherrill series 9600 sectional that is a little over 8 years old. With 3 young children, the couch cushions and fabric are not in great condition. Needless to say I am not sure if I should just have the couch recovered and the cushions fixed - or if I just buy another sectional (essentially the same style and size - just new). I know fabric choice varies considerably, but is it even worth considering recovering?

Thank you!

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Sherrill Sectional - keep it?

Hi. If the sectional is extremely well made, it might be worth reupholstering. If it's more in the mid-line in terms of quality and since reupholstering sofas is very expensive (labor + fabric), my recommendation would be to purchase a new one. It might, in fact, be cheaper to do so, but you would need to price it out to be certain. My understanding is that Sherrill has more than one line, in terms of quality, so you would also want to assess the quality of your sectional today: for example, is that same sectional made in the US or in China, and how is it made? My $.02.

Default Re: Sherrill Sectional - keep it?

Upholstery is about 75% of new replacement, worth it on a quality brand like a Sherrill but ONLY if everything else is OK on it and the springs and cores do not need replacing, and you like the sectional. Once you get into replacing cushion cores and re-tie in springs, its generally not viable.

Leather lasts 4x longer, or as my wife tells me 'I would never have another fabric sofa with raising kids'.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.